Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MarkY91 wrote: »
    That's amazing. I was concerned about charging costs but definitely not anymore!
    Person in my house were concerned with costs of charging my ebike. I worked it out to be under a tenner a year.

Same person will preheat and oven for an hour, to cook 4 chicken nuggets, and fill a kettle to the brim to get 1 cup of tea, leave the immersion on for an hour to wash a saucepan.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

rubadub wrote: »
    Same person will preheat and oven for an hour

Oven on 180C from cold for an hour uses about 1.5kWh

Charging the scooter from empty to full uses about 0.3kWh

So your weekly commute costs the same in electricity as that oven used just once for an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Her commute is from stoney batter to glasnevin area. About 45 minute walk for her(or two buses)

I was cycling from town to kimmage today and spotted about 6 scooters..all within a 20/25 minute cycle. There is too many of them to confiscate them all.

Is the more expensive model the one with air filled wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Her commute is from stoney batter to glasnevin area. About 45 minute walk for her(or two buses)

I was cycling from town to kimmage today and spotted about 6 scooters..all within a 20/25 minute cycle. There is too many of them to confiscate them all.

Would an é-bike be a good buy? Bigger wheels, prob a longer range, and legal...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Markcheese wrote: »
    Would an é-bike be a good buy? Bigger wheels, prob a longer range, and legal...

I don't think she knows how to cycle a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't think she knows how to cycle a bike.

My 4 year old learned last weekend. Would she be willing to try ?
    Does she drive ( as in does she have any road sense)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ted1 wrote: »
    My 4 year old learned last weekend. Would she be willing to try ?
    Does she drive ( as in does she have any road sense)?

I've heard it's more difficult to learn as an adult. Of course it can be done once the interest is there but I don't think it is in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

She told me she drove a car back in her home country. So I'm sure she has a sense of being out and about in a bicycle lane coming up to lights and traffic etc.

She just can't balance. I dunno..i learned as a kid, I don't even have any memory of not knowing how to ride a bike. I'm sure it's more difficult for her than it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

She told me she drove a car back in her home country. So I'm sure she has a sense of being out and about in a bicycle lane coming up to lights and traffic etc.

She just can't balance. I dunno..i learned as a kid, I don't even have any memory of not knowing how to ride a bike. I'm sure it's more difficult for her than it sounds.

If she can't balance, a scooter is not really much better than a bicycle...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

So we are talking 5 kilometres each way and keeping Northside of the city. The M365 will do the job without the need to charge at her destination. The M365 comes with air filled wheels (pneumatic tyres).

Punctures are a nightmare to repair on these scooters. I have done it twice and it truly is horrible to do. You can put "slime" into the tubes which is supposed to be quite effective at preventing punctures. I've ordered some, as well as a spare full rear wheel hub with tyre.

DO NOT INSTALL AIRLESS TYRES. They are very uncomfortable and simply will not provide the same grip, making them more dangerous.
    grogi wrote: »
    If she can't balance, a scooter is not really much better than a bicycle...

Start her off in an empty park. She will be grand. :D

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Are there multiple tyre compounds of rubber for the airless tyres. Some say they're ok and work but reduce power and range. Others say they're lethal and don't touch them.

I'm highly tempted. Only couple hundred km in and one puncture already.

AhHaor wrote: »
    Are there multiple tyre compounds of rubber for the airless tyres. Some say they're ok and work but reduce power and range. Others say they're lethal and don't touch them.

I'm highly tempted. Only couple hundred km in and one puncture already.

Yeah, there are lots of different types. Some hard rubber (cheap...long lasting) and others are soft, sponge type rubber. Some with holes and others with slits in them. I feel your pain with the punctures, so I am trying the slime (ordered yesterday) and also have a full rear spare on the way....hub and disc brake and all.

In fairness, both of my punctures happened when there was about 120kg on the scooter....20% above the max load. I simply would not move to solid tyres. They are also much more difficult to install.

Stay Free

You can put "slime" into the tubes which is supposed to be quite effective at preventing punctures.
    I have it on my MTB and it works well. It does not work well at higher pressures, mine is about 60psi.

I finally got a puncture after about 4 years of careless cycling i.e. I was going over glass in the crappy, sorry! perfectly good cycletracks.

I finally went over something really big and had to repair it. I found I actually had 4 or 5 punctures in the same tube, but the slime had been doing its job on all the rest and they only became leaking when removed from the tyre.

My tubes were preslimed though, I was wondering if the regular slime would take to it. I think they put talc type stuff inside tyres to stop them sticking together and thought it might mean the slime would not adhere -that is just a thought I had, not read anywhere.

My tubes were preslimed though, I was wondering if the regular slime would take to it. I think they put talc type stuff inside tyres to stop them sticking together and thought it might mean the slime would not adhere -that is just a thought I had, not read anywhere.

That's a good point. It could be worth removing the valve and putting some mild soapy water into the tube to wash out any residue before injecting the slime.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

seen the xiaomi mi scooter in a shop in town earlier and was tempted to pull the trigger, how often should I expect to get a puncture and how easy/hard are they to repair?
    are replacement tyres/tubes easy to get?

ooter wrote: »
    seen the xiaomi mi scooter in a shop in town earlier and was tempted to pull the trigger, how often should I expect to get a puncture

You could get one every day, or never at all. Too many variables.

and how easy/hard are they to repair?
    are replacement tyres/tubes easy to get?

Replacing the tube/tyre is a complete pain in the ass.
    Easy to take the wheel off. Moderately difficult to remove spent tube. A nightmare to put the tyre back on the wheel.

I will never do it again. If the slime doesn't work, or my tyre needs replacing, I'm opting for a complete wheel hub replacement.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

Easy to take the wheel off. Moderately difficult to remove spent tube. A nightmare to put the tyre back on the wheel.

I will never do it again. If the slime doesn't work, or my tyre needs replacing, I'm opting for a complete wheel hub replacement.

jaysis that doesn't sound good, I think i'll avoid so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Can you provide a little detail about what makes it a really difficult job?
    Thanks.

Can you provide a little detail about what makes it a really difficult job?
    Thanks.

The tyre is small (of course) and the rubber is thicker than what I would be familiar with on a regular bicycle tyre. These two factors alone make it extremely difficult to get the tyre back onto the rim.

Once you get it halfway on, the force needed to stretch and squeeze the tyre into position is considerable. It wants to slip out at every occasion.

I'm sure with practice it gets easier, but i've done it twice and both times I needed an extra pair of hands. The second time I warped the brake disc and had to replace. Adding lubricant is necessary but creates its own problems.

Stay Free

Once you get it halfway on, the force needed to stretch and squeeze the tyre into position is considerable. It wants to slip out at every occasion..
    sounds like you were not using tyre levers?

I would recommend these park tool ones, and also these patches, I have broken loads of cheapo ones over the years but these have held up.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/park-tool-tyre-and-tube-repair-kit-tr-1/rp-prod5790

They come with patches which are already glued. You simply peel off the back and press it onto the tube and it is ready to go. These are not suitable for high pressure tyres like on road bikes but fine for lower pressure like mountain bikes or scooters.

I could not believe how good the patches were, but Park are a highly respected brand and I thought they would not be selling crap.

• Advertisement

sounds like you were not using tyre levers?

I would recommend these park tool ones, and also these patches, I have broken loads of cheapo ones over the years but these have held up.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/park-tool-tyre-and-tube-repair-kit-tr-1/rp-prod5790h

They come with patches which are already glued. You simply peel off the back and press it onto the tube and it is ready to go. These are not suitable for high pressure tyres like on road bikes but fine for lower pressure like mountain bikes or scooters.

I could not believe how good the patches were, but Park are a highly respected brand and I thought they would not be selling crap.

Your link was a dead page.

No, I have never used tyre levers. I use spanners, or the wrong end of some strong spoons. Never had problems before. Tyre levers might make it a little easier, but i'm certain it would still be a painful job.

I will consider getting a pair of levers in any case.

Stay Free

I have had some very difficult tyres before but got them on far easier with those ones, I seem to have had an extra h in that link.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/park-tool-tyre-and-tube-repair-kit-tr-1/rp-prod5790

There are youtube videos of people doing them, maybe there is some knack to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I hired an electric dockless scooter from Pony Bikes in Bordeaux today and almost immediately crashed it whilst investigating the pothole traversing capabilities. :pac:

Great fun! And incredibly less capable than an ebike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I've replaced 2 tyres on the m365. The secret to putting the tyre on is to put the tyre in the microwave for 30 secs and use gloves. Fairly straightforward if you have someone helping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not sure if making them legal is good news though if you need:

- a scooter driving license
    - pay motor tax (and display it presumably)
    - have insurance (and display it presumably)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I’ve been using one of these for a good while now. It’s paid it’s self off now a few times compared to public transport cost/time walking. The gards don’t seem to be an issue. I know there was a few days where they were taking them off people but I’ve never had an issue with them and see them all the time.

My one is solid tyres and seems to be slightly faster than the m365 as I over take them if they are close by but I would recommend the m365 over mine as the braking and tyres seem a lot better. The punctures are I’m sure a pain but added grip in the wet for safety reasons And added braking is why they are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zurbaran wrote: »
    I’ve been using one of these for a good while now. It’s paid it’s self off now a few time but very in public transport/time walking. The gards don’t seem to be an issue. I know there was a few days where they were taking them off people but I’ve never had an issue with them and see them all the time.

My one is solid tyres and seems to be slightly faster than the m365 as I over take them if they are close by but I would recommend the m365 over mine as the braking and tyres seem a lot better. The punctures are I’m sure a pain but added grip in the wet for safety reasons are the reason they are better.

Do you not find the ride very tough on solid tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

ted1 wrote: »
    Do you not find the ride very tough on solid tyres?
    I don’t have much to compare to as it’s the only one I’ve had but I found it very jarring at the start but the suspension has loosened up so it’s a lot better now. One of the tips when getting a kugoo s1 was to loosen it straight away but I’m lazy so didn’t. Over time it’s gotten a lot better.

The rear for some reason has no grooves all the way through the tyre so is deadly in the wet. It’s got grooves on the side of the tyre but they are unusable in any condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Zurbaran wrote: »
    The rear for some reason has no grooves all the way through the tyre so is deadly in the wet. It’s got grooves on the side of the tyre but they are unusable in any condition.
    Round profile tyres don't aqua plane so grooves are unnecessary.

Advertisement