Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Does anyone know what the story is with the Public Consultation that was out on e scooters? Its meant to finished up soon enough isnt it?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/e-scooter-users-may-be-fined-for-speeding-under-bill-tabled-by-fianna-fáil-1.4051372

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yes they need to be road legal, have lighting, insurance and a licence which isn't possible so I don't get why you are arguing my point which states they are illegal....

I said they are illegal, I wasn't saying it any other way.

Your post didn't read right. You said E-scooters need insurance and a licence and Gardaí are slowly enforcing this. The truth is they need neither and are only for legal use on private land. Some Gardaí are enforcing the illegal use of e-rides.

Hats off to the law breakers who are helping to move things forward with regards to the legality of e-rides. Ireland is once again a trailer.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Your post didn't read right. You said E-scooters need insurance and a licence and Gardaí are slowly enforcing this. The truth is they need neither and are only for legal use on private land. Some Gardaí are enforcing the illegal use of e-rides.

Hats off to the law breakers who are helping to move things forward with regards to the legality of e-rides. Ireland is once again a trailer.

But it does.... This is exactly why people are been done.

No licence, no insurance, no helmet and so on....

I'm so sorry I didn't add everything in which I've done so previous, I gathered it was common knowledge that that's what I was saying just not putting every reason on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think we're all caught up and on the page now lads... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Lads does anyone actually have an escooter in this thread and could they recommend one or two or what they are like?
    Screw the legalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Screw the legalities.

If you don't mind me saying so 'bloody typical' I hope you don't have an accident or knock somebody down, I'll have to pay a part of the costs....??

BarryM wrote: »
    If you don't mind me saying so 'bloody typical' I hope you don't have an accident or knock somebody down, I'll have to pay a part of the costs....??

Take a chill pill there barry.it was tounge in cheek.i tried to open my own thread but it was closed and i was redirected here and its all legal talk.wtf.
    i want recommendations not legalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Lads does anyone actually have an escooter in this thread and could they recommend one or two or what they are like?
    Screw the legalities.

I recommend either the tried and tested m365/Pro, the NineBot ES4 or Max or if you want something with a little more power, an Etwow.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    I recommend either the tried and tested m365/Pro, the NineBot ES4 or Max or if you want something with a little more power, an Etwow.

Ok thanks.the first 2 i have read loads on but haven't heard of the last one.
    Just saw this awhile ago.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/KUGOO-S1-Folding-Electric-Scooter-350W-Motor-8-0-Inch-Tire-Black-411071.html

Doesn't look too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

Screw the legalities.

I recommend Dualtron. Cheap scooters like m356 are not best friends with Irish roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

Ok thanks.the first 2 i have read loads on but haven't heard of the last one.
    Just saw this awhile ago.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/KUGOO-S1-Folding-Electric-Scooter-350W-Motor-8-0-Inch-Tire-Black-411071.html

Doesn't look too bad.

That's very expensive. Kuugo S1 can be regulary found for just a bit over 200.
    Keep an eye on my FB group "Electric scooter Ireland". I post good offers regulary. Especially for cheap scooters like Kugoo, Ninebot, m365/m365 pro etc.
    ETWOW GT is probably best machine from cheaper scooters. But for that money, I'd be thinking about Dualtron mini.

One more thing to keep in mind. Most of electric scooters are NOT fully waterproof. But there is this new company based in UK, and they built this new escooter with bigger 12" wheels, fully waterproof etc. Perfect for Irish Roads and weather, I think.
    This is their website:
    https://8tev.com

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Take a chill pill there barry.it was tounge in cheek.i tried to open my own thread but it was closed and i was redirected here and its all legal talk.wtf.
    i want recommendations not legalities.

Accepted, but..... I am afraid that the 'screw it' mentality is alive and well. For example, the FB page, recommending illegal activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

edit-

ignore, was not reading latest post in thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

posted in cycling
    rubadub wrote: »
    Another from them here showing a commute on the N11. Starts off in Kilbogget park, then goes the wrong way on a cycle lane for a bit

Saw a guy being nabbed by a garda on the N11 this morning at cornelscourt, possibly this lad on the monowheel.

Just here https://goo.gl/maps/s4FkAo6Yti8HDyqH9 (I love the fact google maps reveals all the non compliant election posters!).

It seems to me the garda was possibly laying in wait for him, I have travelled on that road since it opened and have never seen gardai at that point. They would be at cabinteely as there is a garda station there and people crossing etc.

After that an ambulance passed me and I guess got blocked at whitescross as the bus lane was packed with cars again, like one I saw recently. No garda there of course.

I wondered if they want it in the papers that they are being seized before xmas to put people off considering getting them. I warned another woman on an escooter later.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

^^ that same guy was back on the monowheel today.

I was talking to him at the lights and he said she just warned him to stick to cycle tracks and not be on footpaths.

There was a male garda in the same area this morning, this time at the lights, I was saying hello to him, he was right at the road so yer man had to pass him closely. I looked back and saw the guy passed on the monowheel with nothing said.

So no crackdown or and I still have no idea why the gardai are at that spot where there is never an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

I was talking to him at the lights and he said she just warned him to stick to cycle tracks and not be on footpaths.

There was a male garda in the same area this morning, this time at the lights, I was saying hello to him, he was right at the road so yer man had to pass him closely. I looked back and saw the guy passed on the monowheel with nothing said.

So no crackdown or and I still have no idea why the gardai are at that spot where there is never an issue!

Possibly using the same logic as that used for the location of the mobile speed cameras - supposedly located at accident black spots but in reality located at 'shooting fish in barrel' locations instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe someone got knocked over on the path.

What's considered illegal here about these bikes / scooters ?

Are People sure they're talking about a crime or an offence ? an offence is not a crime, there is a difference.

Are People sure they're talking about a crime or an offence ? an offence is not a crime, there is a difference.

I hope they are just after people acting the maggot and not people just commuting responsibly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

In the absence of other legislation, they fall under the legal definition of a mechanically propelled vehicles (MPV).

It is illegal to use an MPV on a public road without tax, registration, and insurance. It's not possible to obtain these, therefore they cannot legally be used on a public road.

• Advertisement

I hope they are just after people acting the maggot and not people just commuting responsibly.

They're after anyone who they think they can drag through the circus courts, i.e the circuit courts and extract money from, these courts are a gravy train for the Government.

Ebikes/scooters that do not comply with laws are not complying with an act which is not a criminal offence but it can still land people in court to pay money to the Government.

It's tricky because they can't really send a fine in the post, for an "illegal" ebike, scooter so I don't know how they would get you to court on that.

My advice to people is if they have been done for so called illegal bikes, scooters never answer the door to strangers and never, ever collect registered post as it will most likely be a summons.

liamog wrote: »
    In the absence of other legislation, they fall under the legal definition of a mechanically propelled vehicles (MPV).

It is illegal to use an MPV on a public road without tax, registration, and insurance. It's not possible to obtain these, therefore they cannot legally be used on a public road.

No it's not , it's an offence. It's not a criminal matter. That's where the circus courts come in to handle this BS , extracting money from people.

Basically they got 3 months to get you to court and if they haven't found you actually handed you that summons they can't do sh1t about it.

They can't say they gave it to the Wife etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Refreshing to see common sense prevailing

Can they be taxed and or insured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Can they be taxed and or insured?

No category for tax, no company that will insure them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

No it's not , it's an offence. It's not a criminal matter. That's where the circus courts come in to handle this BS , extracting money from people.

A crime is defined as an act which can be punished by the State, a motoring offence is still a crime, it's dealt with by the district court, simply because they are defined as a summary offence.

It's illegal because it's contrary to Section VI of the Road Traffic Act.
    Which states
    (1) A person (in this subsection referred to as the user) shall not use in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle unless either a vehicle insurer, a vehicle guarantor or an exempted person would be liable for injury caused by the negligent use of the vehicle by him at that time or there is in force at that time either
    (a) it may, in so far as it relates to injury to property, be limited to the sum of
    €1,120,000 per claim, whatever the number of victims,
    (b) an approved guarantee whereby there is guaranteed the payment by the user, or some other person who would be liable for injury caused by the negligent use of the vehicle at that time by the user, of all sums without limit (save as is hereinafter otherwise provided) which the user or his personal representative or such other person or his personal representative shall become liable to pay to any person (exclusive of the excepted persons) by way of damages or costs on account of injury to person or property caused by the negligent use of the vehicle at that time by the user.

Subsection 3 then goes on to outline the punishment.
    (3) Where a person contravenes subsection (1) of this section, he and, if he is not the owner of the vehicle, such owner shall each be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding €5,000 or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for any term not exceeding six months or to both such fine and such imprisonment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

tuxy wrote: »
    No category for tax, no company that will insure them.

Can we please stop this sh1te and stay on topic. Maybe open a new thread for like minded people to have their say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

championc wrote: »
    Can we please stop this sh1te and stay on topic. Maybe open a new thread for like minded people to have their say.

Only answering a genuine question that someone should know before they purchase one.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Only answering a genuine question that someone should know before they purchase one.

Yeah exactly, as of right now, the only way you can recommend a folding electric scooter for use at the end of a commute in Ireland, would be if the end of your commute was entirely on private property.
    Anything else is a suggestion to do something illegal, which is against boards.ie rules.

I'm in Paris Monday to Friday, the scooters here are brilliant. The sooner we can get sensible legislation in Ireland the better.

Advertisement