Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I like the look of the M365 Pro, does anybody know what is the best priced place to pick one up?

Try Halfords (.ie & .co.uk)

Also, try pricespy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

this would address Construction & Use Regs, but there's no question that it's a vehicle, and the baggage that would bring with it:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2019/march/ktm-electric-scooter/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I like the look of the M365 Pro, does anybody know what is the best priced place to pick one up?

Try thi guy:

https://www.facebook.com/paddy.obrien.908579?fref=search&__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARBHZz2fmaNLc91xTO5vz6x9tO_Z7-IEOkbk_ZtLKlJTtyF1xFgAE4UcVsj3dnbZiO6JGt7RSISKvXR5

He has few in stock for €445

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Martynet wrote: »

If that's true its a great Price.an almost to good to be true price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Is he selling genuine Pro models? That does seem like a pretty good price.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Is he selling genuine Pro models? That does seem like a pretty good price.

Yes. That's absolutely normal SALE price for m365 Pro. I wouldn't pay more than that. I regularly get offers from bangood and other shops, and in most cases they use EU stock in Poland. Check out my FB group where I post these.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/328007928040192/?ref=share

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

I got the Kugoo s1 from geekbuying and can't fault it - fast and stable seems solid enough as well. Been using it regularly for 3 months for a 7km each way commute. Takes me 15 mins door to door, can't beat that!

I did get pulled over today on Talbot street by a garda today though He just gave me a caution but he said there was a guy in court recently who got a €400 fine under section 41 and €130 for his scooter back :/

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

00sully wrote: »
    I did get pulled over today on Talbot street by a garda today though He just gave me a caution but he said there was a guy in court recently who got a €400 fine under section 41 and €130 for his scooter back :/

I'd say we have nearly reached critical mass now, with so many electric scooters in Dublin city every day that it would be nearly impossible for the Gardai to stop and fine every one of them, even if they tried

From anecdotal evidence like yours it looks like these are now tolerated, at least until expected new legislation is put in place. You'd be very unlucky if you ended up in court now like those two lads. Anyone know what happened their court cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I also noticed a sharp up tick since Christmas and the weather hasn't even got mild yet. Once Spring rolls around we will probably see another sharp increase unless the Government formally concludes they won't be legislated for. I'm going to keep using mine, I'm lucky as my entire commute in a segregated cycle lane so chances of being pulled over are rather low. I do wonder how cyclist feel about them in the lanes though, I have got a few snarky comments over the months using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I thought there was a mod message on this thread ;)

However, I live most of the year in France and it is lethal! I was "in town" last week and was nearly knocked down three or four times. Mostly travelling fast on the pavement and weaving between the pedestrians, prams, slow moving people. Rental scooters all over the place, rent it here, leave it there.

A few months ago the gov introduced, or, more accurately, implemented rules for existing legislation, which specified 25kph, one person only (believe it or not, two schoolkids was a 'norm'; mammy's with babies bungied on, etc.); no pavements; and applied it, supposedly, but last week is the evidence.

Given the lack of application of the existing laws in Ireland generally, I have me doubts if they permit scooters....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

unkel wrote: »
    I'd say we have nearly reached critical mass now, with so many electric scooters in Dublin city every day that it would be nearly impossible for the Gardai to stop and fine every one of them, even if they tried

From anecdotal evidence like yours it looks like these are now tolerated, at least until expected new legislation is put in place. You'd be very unlucky if you ended up in court now like those two lads. Anyone know what happened their court cases?

I would think that quite simply they could be made illegal to use specifically and each one that is stopped on road or pavement is confiscated, not to be returned, in lieu of a fine or court summons, unless requested by the owner.

That would very quickly put an end to their use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I wonder will this election bring any changes for the law on them.

Promises, promises. Oh yes we will, but when? soon.

I know this thread is not about permission, per se, but however....

If we had a system of personal insurance, as is the norm in many countries, we could have a regulated insurance environment.

If legislation was introducedin Ireland, would insurance be a requirement? Would wearing a helmet be a requirement?

In countries with personal insurance is a requirement there is little or no 'falling off the pavement' stuff, for example.

So, if you ride a bike, play football, run on public roads, etc. You have personal, or family, insurance. Not expensive as everybody has to be covered, implicitly.

It goes along with 'no fault' where the results of an accident are 'known' and the 'price' of a broken arm or leg is known in advance by insurers, and calculated in relation to the effect on you job, for instance. Going to court with 'the bad back' etc., is not part of the process, unless you want to pay for it yourself.

With this environment you can legislate on a personal basis for riding a scooter.

Of course my story about France depends on application. The police here are too occupied beating up strikers, at the moment, but that is another story. I imagine when they have time they will start hitting the scooters.

FF and Greens support legalizing them for sure. FG decided to let Lord Ross do a review which we haven't heard anything further on. The RSA gave a cautious support to allowing them where appropriate, cycle lanes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cisk wrote: »
    FG decided to let Lord Ross do a review which we haven't heard anything further on.

Actually we did back in August when it was complete.
    It recommended making them legal but I don't think there was any info on how that should be done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

tuxy wrote: »
    Actually we did back in August when it was complete.
    It recommended making them legal but I don't think there was any info on how that should be done.

Didn't it go to public consultation up til end of October then, tho? Haven't heard anything since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

aloooof wrote: »
    Didn't it go to public consultation up til end of October then, tho? Haven't heard anything since then.

8 week public consultation starting at the end of August and then nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

00sully wrote: »
    I did get pulled over today on Talbot street by a garda today though He just gave me a caution
    what sort of a caution? just be careful and stay off footpaths or "I never want to see you on this again"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

When on my doorstep last week, Lord Ross told me that they are looking at the legislation in France, Germany and UK to come up with a solution for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

rubadub wrote: »
    what sort of a caution? just be careful and stay off footpaths or "I never want to see you on this again"?

Stay off it or another less lenient garda will confiscate it and I'll end up in court.

• Advertisement

BarryM wrote: »
    I thought there was a mod message on this thread ;)

However, I live most of the year in France and it is lethal! I was "in town" last week and was nearly knocked down three or four times. Mostly travelling fast on the pavement and weaving between the pedestrians, prams, slow moving people. Rental scooters all over the place, rent it here, leave it there.

A few months ago the gov introduced, or, more accurately, implemented rules for existing legislation, which specified 25kph, one person only (believe it or not, two schoolkids was a 'norm'; mammy's with babies bungied on, etc.); no pavements; and applied it, supposedly, but last week is the evidence.

Given the lack of application of the existing laws in Ireland generally, I have me doubts if they permit scooters....

Don't confuse "scooter rentals" with owning a scooter. There's a big difference. Yes, some cities made a mistake by legalizing "scooter rentals" it witohut thinking it through but most of these are fixing it now, and for example riding on a pavement is prohibited in most cities now.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    I also noticed a sharp up tick since Christmas and the weather hasn't even got mild yet. Once Spring rolls around we will probably see another sharp increase unless the Government formally concludes they won't be legislated for. I'm going to keep using mine, I'm lucky as my entire commute in a segregated cycle lane so chances of being pulled over are rather low. I do wonder how cyclist feel about them in the lanes though, I have got a few snarky comments over the months using it.

I have different experience. Riding over a year now 24 km every day, road, cycling lanes and segregated cycling lanes and never heard any bad comments from cyclists. The opposite. Lots of them asking me about it and admiring it.

Don't confuse "scooter rentals" with owning a scooter. There's a big difference. Yes, some cities made a mistake by legalizing "scooter rentals" it witohut thinking it through but most of these are fixing it now, and for example riding on a pavement is prohibited in most cities now.

Of course no, but I didn't mention that, after seeing rental ones thrown about, that the majority I saw were not rentals. I also noted that nobody I saw was wearing a lid.

BTW, French radio reporting this a.m. that Hussein Bolt has withdrawn from the Paris scooter rental market, cos there is too much competition!!
    Bolt has apparently been very successful with rentals in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

rubadub wrote: »
    in the cycling forum

Great news to me, as our politicians still like to look to the UK on many issues.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Great news to me, as our politicians still like to look to the UK on many issues.

I don't think it will go well though. I reckon you will see stuff like this
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/06/rise-in-drunk-riding-fuels-munichs-call-for-e-scooter-curbs-during-oktoberfest

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dbentham

aloooof wrote: »

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2019-10-17/55/

The debate was mentioned in the dáil on 17/10/19 and a vote was taken & carried to put the matter back for 3 months for the bill to be re-read.
    But unfortunately with the untimely dissolution of the dáil on 14th January, it remains to be seen when the matter will now be revisited.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dbentham wrote: »
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2019-10-17/55/

The debate was mentioned in the dáil on 17/10/19 and a vote was taken & carried to put the matter back for 3 months for the bill to be re-read.
    But unfortunately with the untimely dissolution of the dáil on 14th January, it remains to be seen when the matter will now be revisited.

With the Greens in a coalition I would have some faith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

https://www.mi.com/uk/support/scooter-safety-notice/
    Since our founding, Xiaomi has been dedicated to producing safe, affordable and quality products for our customers. We continue making this our top priority and act proactively to ensure that our users have real-time, comprehensive information regarding our products.

We have received limited reports in relation to potential safety issues associated with the Mi M365 Electric Scooter. Upon investigation, it appears that when not used in accordance with the Safety Reminder and Instructions in the user manual, or when subject to force, certain batches of the product manufactured with aluminium alloy hooks in the folding apparatus, may have the potential to fail and without appropriate maintenance, may cause a fall hazard to the rider.

We are launching a Safety Campaign to alert all customers. Specifically, we are publishing a Safety Notice and rolling out a Repair Programme globally which provides free testing to the affected customers and also replaces the aluminium alloy hook with a stainless steel hook.

Safety Notice

The hook of the Mi M365 Electric Scooter manufactured between September 2017 and October 2018 is made of aviation grade aluminium alloy 6061-T6 which material is widely used for bicycle frames and components.

When the Mi M365 Electric Scooter is subject to overloading such as two people riding the scooter at any one time or subject to high impact movements, the aluminium alloy hook in the folding apparatus may weaken. Without appropriate maintenance, the aluminium alloy hook may fail during subsequent use which may lead the vertical component to fold into the main body while in use.

We ask all customers to take the steps below before using their Mi M365 Electric Scooters:

Step 1: Follow the instructions below to check whether your device has an aluminium alloy hook. If it does not have an aluminium alloy hook, it is not affected by this Safety Campaign.

Step 2: Follow the video instructions and conduct a check of the device.

Step 3: Follow the Dos and Don’ts for your future use.

20200115.jpg
    1.If the device appears to have an allen key bolt on one side and a round-shaped nut on the other side, then your device has a steel hook and is not affected.

2.If the device appears to have allen key bolts on both sides, your device comes with an aluminium alloy hook and is part of the repair programme. Please enter the serial number and other required information in the section below to participate in the repair programme.

If you cannot tell which type of the hook that your device has, enter the serial number in the box below to find out whether you are eligible for the repair. The serial number is located on the side of the base of the scooter with the prefix SN.

• Advertisement

Stop buying cheap **** escooters and you won't have problem like this. Decent ebike cost around €2000 and more. It's same with escooters...

Advertisement