Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

So a pedestrian injures a scooter driver and the pedestrian can be arrested?
    Strange

Yes, nothing strange about it, but the guard would probably use his/her common sense and realise it was intended or accident but causing injury or damage to property is an arrestable offence.

liamog wrote: »
    An insurance requirement for scooters and bikes whether powered or not is an unneeded blocker to an a more sustainable form of transport, note I did not use the term personal injury, it's personal liability.

Here's the extract from my home insurance which covers it

Home insurance is a standard condition of mortgages and leases, so I would expect most people to have some personal liability coverage. I believe in countries where e-Scooters are legal, the personal liability coverage is common and provides adequate coverage.

@Ger Roe, given that we're discussing either using an e-Scooter in a jurisdiction they are legislated for, or in Ireland after they are legislated for, I'm not sure what your point is (see the Mod Note on post #1 for clarification)

That's interesting the house insurance covers stuff like this.

However, this does not mean someone can't be prosecuted for causing harm or property damage especially if the scooter is less than legal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's interesting the house insurance covers stuff like this.

However, this does not mean someone can't be prosecuted for causing harm or property damage especially if the scooter is less than legal.

Yes, but you can be just as prosecuted for causing damage to other people or property no matter what your means of propulsion. I'm sure if you spent your day sprinting into people and knocking them over, the Guards would want to be having words with you.

Yes, but you can be just as prosecuted for causing damage to other people or property no matter what your means of propulsion. I'm sure if you spent your day sprinting into people and knocking them over, the Guards would want to be having words with you.

Yes but we are talking about e-scooters now.

I can imagine a lot of peed off people if they start to clamp down on this. I have seen some tool last week weaving in and out of traffic at that mad long mile road junction off the N7, surely that's a bit mad no ?

I see them on footpaths and to think they are faster, or at least some of them than ebikes it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

• Advertisement

Good news.

What's the most popular scooter in Ireland ? they seem to be going way faster than 25 Km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Good news.

What's the most popular scooter in Ireland ? they seem to be going way faster than 25 Km/hr.

Xiaomi m365 and ninebot max. Both capped at 25 km/h, can reach up to 30 going downhill. There are very few scooters in I've seen in Dublin that go more than 25-30. They all disable acceleration at 25 and protectively break before going above 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Good news.

160 and 190 BPM

Usually this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZq-cQ7sSLQ&ab_channel=Kontor.TV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Seeing more announcements that legalisation is in hand for electric scooters. Do people think prices will go up or down once they are legalised?
    What's the recommended brand / manufacturer - don't want to use Aliexpress in case something goes wrong down the line.
    What will be the legality of having a couple of beers and going for a scoot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Alkers wrote: »
    Seeing more announcements that legalisation is in hand for electric scooters. Do people think prices will go up or down once they are legalised?
    What's the recommended brand / manufacturer - don't want to use Aliexpress in case something goes wrong down the line.
    What will be the legality of having a couple of beers and going for a scoot?

Xiomi seem to be decent. I’d imagine the legality would be the same as having a few beers and cycling, unless your obviously drunk you’ll have no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Xiomi seem to be decent. I’d imagine the legality would be the same as having a few beers and cycling, unless your obviously drunk you’ll have no issues.

I wouldn't like to be tipsy on an E scooter.:D:D:D

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to be tipsy on an E scooter.:D:D:D

I was hammered flying from pub to pub in Wroclaw on then when we were allowed on holidays. Great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I bought the Xiaomi m365 at Christmas but it won't be near the road until I get full clarity and assurance that it will be legal.

The only thing that is bugging me slightly is if I want to go into town (when that's allowed) say on a Saturday to meet a friend for a coffee and a stroll then where can I safety store the scooter?

Car parks could make a nice handy few quid by having a secure area to leave them.

mfceiling wrote: »
    I bought the Xiaomi m365 at Christmas but it won't be near the road until I get full clarity and assurance that it will be legal.

The only thing that is bugging me slightly is if I want to go into town (when that's allowed) say on a Saturday to meet a friend for a coffee and a stroll then where can I safety store the scooter?

Car parks could make a nice handy few quid by having a secure area to leave them.

I've seen people take them on public transport and folded up into cafes.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

They're a bit of a disaster when trying to bring them into a shop. The square and a few other places have storage boxes for bikes. If they set them up in town then that would be an option. I never leave it locked outside as they're just too easy to steal. And that's with a disc lock.

AhHaor wrote: »
    They're a bit of a disaster when trying to bring them into a shop. The square and a few other places have storage boxes for bikes. If they set them up in town then that would be an option. I never leave it locked outside as they're just too easy to steal. And that's with a disc lock.

A neighbour of mine works in town. She takes the scooter on the bus and the Luas and brings it into the office with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine works in town. She takes the scooter on the bus and the Luas and brings it into the office with her.

Yeah but they aren't great for just carrying around. If you met for a coffee and then went for a walk it would be nice to have somewhere secure to stop you having to lug it around with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

mfceiling wrote: »

You can assume that the moment they go legal, there will be rental company scooters everywhere in the city centre. Might make them less of a target for thieves or might mean it's not worth bringing your own one in if you're planning on meeting people etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Theres bike lockers in some of the train stations. ...

http://www.bikelocker.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

beauf wrote: »

Bike Lockers are installed at over 27 Locations nationwide

They have a different concept of 'nationwide' than do I !

• Advertisement

The only way to get people out of their cars is to have greater bike security. Lockers everywhere. The fear of bike theft is the greatest disadvantage to cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Was going to use the one in Pearse street and the security said don’t bother , just lock it the railing in front of the hut. Nothings ever taking there as we keep on eye. And there’s always someone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Did the article say they were making them legal ? Or just legislating for them ?
    ( I mean they could just make them specifically illegal ,)
    Half the teenagers around my place seem to have one so it'll be interesting to see what happen what ever legislation is brought in ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

GP Councillor Dan Boyle had a bit on twit y'day. He says there will be no need for register, helmet, insurance....Is he serious?

In cities I've been in, Paris for ex., there are 'rented' scooters dumped all over the place, and scooterers all over the pavements. If there is no license etc., will they be allowed on the pavements?

BarryM wrote: »
    GP Councillor Dan Boyle had a bit on twit y'day. He says there will be no need for register, helmet, insurance....Is he serious?

In cities I've been in, Paris for ex., there are 'rented' scooters dumped all over the place, and scooterers all over the pavements. If there is no license etc., will they be allowed on the pavements?

He's 100% right. Should be the same rules as a bicycle.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They changed the rules in Paris around Sept '19. They replaced parking spaces with a number of marked scooter charging parking boxes, your meant to leave the scooter there. If a user leaves it anywhere else the rental company get's a fine and are likely to pass it onto the last renter. It certainly seemed quite effective at the time.

They changed the rules in Paris around Sept '19. They replaced parking spaces with a number of marked scooter charging boxes, your meant to leave the scooter there. If a user leaves it anywhere else the rental company get's a fine and are likely to pass it onto the last renter. It certainly seemed quite effective at the time.

In Poland you'd an app to hire the scooters. When you were finished with it you'd to take a picture of where you'd parked the scooter on the app.

Same rules as bicycles? On the pavements? If you read some of threads on here a 'bicycle' is very loosely interpreted.

I don't know if Boyle had sight of the legislation, but no reg, no license, no skidlid sounds tricky.

If that happens what about insurance? What is the situation about insurance on a bike now, anyway.

Same rules as bicycles? On the pavements? If you read some of threads on here a 'bicycle' is very loosely interpreted.

I don't know if Boyle had sight of the legislation, but no reg, no license, no skidlid sounds tricky.

If that happens what about insurance? What is the situation about insurance on a bike now, anyway.

Bicycles aren't allowed on footpaths, carry a fixed penalty. Bikes don't need insurance.

• Advertisement

"Bikes don't need insurance"

Maybe don't need, but...... on the road, their legal place?? Not me.

Can you get a quote for bike on the road, any info? or can you get cover on your house policy or something? If you are on the path, with insurance cover.... and are fined.... then what?

Just wondering.

Advertisement