Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What sort of distance are you getting out of it when not in eco mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What sort of distance are you getting out of it when not in eco mode?

I've never gotten near to depleting the battery to be honest. I usually have the charger in the bag. I'd imagine I'd get close to the stated 30km though

• Registered Users Posts: 7 marcosmb25

Hello guys, I also have this scooter(xiaomi mi365).

Unfortunately due to a glass on the bike lane, I have a flat wheel to repair.

I took it to Freeman Repair Service close to Fitzwilliam in Dublin, but the guy wasnt able to change the tub.

Any idea where to take it for reparation? I have a new tube and the tools to fix it, but not to inflate the wheel or the skill to do it :)

marcosmb25 wrote: »
    Hello guys, I also have this scooter(xiaomi mi365).

Unfortunately due to a glass on the bike lane, I have a flat wheel to repair.

I took it to Freeman Repair Service close to Fitzwilliam in Dublin, but the guy wasnt able to change the tub.

Any idea where to take it for reparation? I have a new tube and the tools to fix it, but not to inflate the wheel or the skill to do it :)

I seen a few video's, most make reference to filling the tyre with a foam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbRIAo0MoMU

See about 5 mins into that video

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I've never gotten near to depleting the battery to be honest. I usually have the charger in the bag. I'd imagine I'd get close to the stated 30km though

The 30km is only in eco-mode isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I seen a few video's, most make reference to filling the tyre with a foam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbRIAo0MoMU

See about 5 mins into that video

Is that not just for puncture protection after pumping it up?

Theres a few videos on youtube on changing tubes and tires.

goz83 wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting one of those xiaomi m365 folding scooters to cover the last 5 kilometres of the journey as I come into the city and traffic gets mad. I am looking for peoples experiences with them.

I understand they are in a bit of a legal grey area, but you need to push this scooter to get going, so technically it doesn’t operate on mechanical power alone which is what the rsa site mentions as the definition of an mpv.

I’ll be travelling about 15km each way from urban to city. Due to a back injury, I can’t spend an hour stuck in traffic twice per day. I can’t tolerate public transport and it would be much more expensive (over €100 per month, compared to about €5 per month in my Leaf and m365).

So, my plan would be to drive about 10km and park the car before hitting the city centre. Parking would be free as I would be well outside the cc. I would then scoot the rest of the way to my destination and do the reverse on my return journey. I wouldn’t be stuck in traffic for too long and the range of the scooter should easily cover the return journey without destination charging. The scooter will cost around €400 to buy and claims 30km per charge...I am expecting 15.

What do you think?

I know you've posted in the middle of this thread.

But I was curious how did it work out vs a bike and considering your back etc. Did you end up using as you planned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Woman in 4" heels on a 365 on the quays the other day, not sure that's the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ED E wrote: »
    Woman in 4" heels on a 365 on the quays the other day, not sure that's the best.

Women in 4" heels ARE the best...

• Advertisement

Hello guys, I´ve manage to put the tyre over the wheel, but not inside of the wheel as it should be,

Did you heard about any shop doing reparations for electric scooters? I went to Freeman´s and he was totally lost.

marcosmb25 wrote: »
    Hello guys, I´ve manage to put the tyre over the wheel, but not inside of the wheel as it should be,

Did you heard about any shop doing reparations for electric scooters? I went to Freeman´s and he was totally lost.

Nothing at the moment but plenty of videoshowing you how to on youtube

Nothing at the moment but plenty of videoshowing you how to on youtube

Yes, I´ve watched, but still uncapable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Thinking of buying one of these on Amazon.

Those of you who have bought one, how are you getting on with them?

Also, how do I buy from amazon.es and get it shipped to Ireland?

Edit: ordered one from amazon.es. Looking forward to using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Seen good few of these scooters around recently. I myself have put over 8k on an electric bicycle (converted myself, it cruises at 25 km/h plus, uses a Bafang central drive and approx 0.8 kWh battery) in year and something. I use it for a 40 k return 4 times a week and it has been a very enjoyable experience. With a bike you get good excercise also while commuting and I find it ideal commuting solution for me. Each leg takes 45 minutes. Hills and headwind don't matter and you're always the fastest bicycle off lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

samih wrote: »
    Seen good few of these scooters around recently. I myself have put over 8k on an electric bicycle (converted myself, it cruises at 25 km/h plus, uses a Bafang central drive and approx 0.8 kWh battery) in year and something. I use it for a 40 k return 4 times a week and it has been a very enjoyable experience. With a bike you get good excercise also while commuting and I find it ideal commuting solution for me. Each leg takes 45 minutes. Hills and headwind don't matter and you're always the fastest bicycle off lights.
    You spent 8k on an self converted ebike?
    Can you share the breakdown of the costs please?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Where are people buying these scooters? I assume mostly online? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You spent 8k on an self converted ebike?
    Can you share the breakdown of the costs please?

He's put over 8,000km.

Yea, spending 8k on one would be a "bit" of an overkill. Depending on what your range, reliablility and speed requirements are you probably end up spending between 300 and 1500 + the bike for a commuter. The upper value would probably give you a range of 200 km+ at legal speeds even up the steepest hills or potential for 60 km/h or more.

My bike has a range of about 80 km with medium effort and it comfortably reaches speeds of at least 25 km/h. I spent about 1.5k on it including the bicycle and the bike has been reliable. Had to replace the drive chain once and on my 3rd set the brake pads as well as on the third rear tyre. It costs about tenner a year on night rate electricity and maybe 100 a year for maintenance so is quite an affordable way to commute. Will be interesting to see how long the Bafang and the battery pack will last. So far they work the same as on the day one. I used to have a motorbike but decided that this is the more enjoyable way to commute.

On my commute in rush hour I save about 15 minutes each way compered to driving or the train and am about 15 min slower than I was on the motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

He's put over 8,000km.

Deffo Spec savers this afternoon!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where are people buying these scooters? I assume mostly online? Any recommendations?

3 are starting to sell them shortly for 449 https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/chinas-xiaomi-enters-irish-market-with-three-scooter-and-phones-sales-tieup-37479634.html

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

Sorry for hijacking but I have a road bike I want to convert. Can I ask where you got the Bafang? Is it a geared hub for the rear wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Sorry for hijacking but I have a road bike I want to convert. Can I ask where you got the Bafang? Is it a geared hub for the rear wheel?

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/bafang-electric-bike-kit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Thanks for that. That's interesting. Hopefully they will sell as standalone products without the requirement to be a 3 customer/subscriber

Thanks for that. That's interesting. Hopefully they will sell as standalone products without the requirement to be a 3 customer/subscriber

Doubt that....I would guess Three customers can buy at discount via online store. Standard customer will pay top doller.....

It's all the one I think, doesn't matter if your a customer or not it's the same price.
    449 is ok for the euro version with the spare tubes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

as the xiaomi scooters need a couple of leg pushes to get going, does that mean they are legal without a licence and insurance?

Mine is a Bafang BBS family central motor that replaces the bottom bracket. BBS-01 250W is the legal one but I hear some of them are 1000W constant power.

I think I bought the full kit from eclipse bikes in UK for support and to ensure I won't get hit by import duty.

as the xiaomi scooters need a couple of leg pushes to get going, does that mean they are legal without a licence and insurance?

From my reading of the law they need, licence, tax, insurance. You can get penalty points etc.
    The law needs to be updated, sweden seem to have a sensible approach

Special traffic rules that apply to them (apart from the normal, like priority from the right, red lights, etc.)

No need to wear a helmet. Art. 3b VRV

No need for a driving license Art. 5 Abs. 2 Lit e. VZV

No need for a license plate or special vehicle insurance Art. 6 Abs 1 Lit f VZV

You are allowed to use it on the road.

You must not use the side walk. The side walk is reserved for pedestrians, persons in manual wheelchairs, disabled persons in electric wheelchairs or on Segway like devices, and users of vehicle like means of transport only. Art. 43 SVG, Art. 43a, and Art 50 VRV (actully that is a general rule, but you asked).

You are allowed to use cycle lanes and paths. You cannot use pure footpaths Art. 33 SSV and Art. 42 Abs. 4 VRV

You must use the cycle lanes and path when it is next to a road. Art. 46 SVG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No , to be legal the motor should also assist while using your legs.

As they power continuously they are no different than a car

Same as these: https://twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/1057594110532640768?s=21

Advertisement