Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 newest update

Options
  • 17-05-2018 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I was typing away at something yesterday and out of nowhere what appeared to be a windows notification popped up, but because I was typing, I must have chosen something on the pop up screen and it was gone before I could even see what it was, that's a silly enough flaw as it is, then when I go to turn off my laptop, the only options to install updates and shut down or install updates and restart, again another silly flaw, what if I don't have time and need to shoot off somewhere with my laptop, now I've to wait for it to install updates before I can shut it down:confused:

Anyway, after installing the updates, I get prompted for options I'd already chosen before, whether to use voice recognition, location sharing etc.

Now I also realise that I have a new drive on the laptop :mad: Local disk D with only 43mb remaining out of 449 MB and I first found out about it because I immediately get a notification saying it's low on space, but when I go into it, it says the folder is empty :confused:

If anyone has any idea where this came from, or how to address the other issues too, please share :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SmaRkieS

Same here it really bothers me. So I end up stopping the windows update, because while im working or gaming it's forcing me to restart and update.

If you want to, here what I did.

- Press windows key on keyboard and press R to launch the RUN window, then type services.msc.
    - Scroll down to and look for Windows Update
    - Double Click, Click Stop on services, then on Startup Type select Disabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cool, thanks for the help. So I can disable it and maybe re-enable it every few months to check and install updates when I have time, is that what you do?

I disable it permanently, I don't want to waste some space, and distract my work/gaming, also it is downloading without conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There's probably some files you can get rid of to free up some space. Open Disk Clean-up and see what Windows suggests. While that's running, click Clean up system files and you should be able to delete old updates and other things still hanging around on the system. If you don't plan on rolling back you can safely remove Windows.old from there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

SmaRkieS wrote: »
    I disable it permanently, I don't want to waste some space, and distract my work/gaming, also it is downloading without conscience.

Permanently disabling Windows updates is a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

davo2001 wrote: »

Also does not work on windows 10 and it will re-enable itself at times

davo2001 wrote: »

I don't want to have new bugs inside, Windows update be like, remove old bugs, and add new bugs, IF your Windows running fine, then you don't have to touch it.

I'ts fine for me as I know what I'm doing. I even remove Cortana, I don't want something is spying what I'm doing. Cortana is like the Clip guy on Word.

EDIT: Google is listening also youtube.com/watch?v=zBnDWSvaQ1I

Also does not work on windows 10 and it will re-enable itself at times

I go down deep, with gpedit.msc (Local Group Policy).

Administrative Template>Windows Components>Windows Update>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I'ts fine for me as I know what I'm doing

:D

That local disk has only 11mb free in it now and I don't know what it's from as it's still showing that the drive is empy :confused:

How did this drive come out of nowhere, I hate when strange stuff like that happens when you're trying to keep things simple and clean on the laptop.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    That local disk has only 11mb free in it now and I don't know what it's from as it's still showing that the drive is empy :confused:

How did this drive come out of nowhere, I hate when strange stuff like that happens when you're trying to keep things simple and clean on the laptop.

Check here, just delete them.

The temporary update files are stored at C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and that folder can be renamed and deleted to prompt Windows to recreate a folder. Note that any uninstalled updates that were previously downloaded will need to be downloaded again before they can be installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

I have a legit key for Windows 10 but MS have forced me to pirating and installing the LTSB branch

Way too much bullsh1t comes with vanilla Win 10

Check here, just delete them.

The temporary update files are stored at C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and that folder can be renamed and deleted to prompt Windows to recreate a folder. Note that any uninstalled updates that were previously downloaded will need to be downloaded again before they can be installed.

Thanks for the reply, but these files are in C, I've had a whole new drive created, which appears to have no files inside it, but has only 11MB free from 449MB and it wasn't there before the update :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, but these files are in C, I've had a whole new drive created, which appears to have no files inside it, but has only 11MB free from 449MB and it wasn't there before the update :confused:
    That's a recovery partition created by Windows. If you unassign the drive letter it should stop the errors: https://superuser.com/questions/1313742/windows-10-update-created-a-recovery-partition-how-to-hide-that-partition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Sparko

This update killed my nvidia graphics drivers, and attempts to reinstall kept failing.

Rolled back to a previous version before the update and everything back working again, will hold off on this update for a bit until things are ironed out.

That's a recovery partition created by Windows. If you unassign the drive letter it should stop the errors: https://superuser.com/questions/1313742/windows-10-update-created-a-recovery-partition-how-to-hide-that-partition

When I right click the area suggested, all I get is "Help" option, there's 2 other partitions showing too, which when I right click on, both give the option to change drive letter or path.

Fortunately the next suggestion down to run command prompt worked and the drive is now gone, thanks :)

Advertisement