Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben Bulben defaced by Referendum Campaigners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That looks like something draped on the mountainside rather than actually gouged into it?

Why they think that will or might change anyone's mind is beyond me.

But as long as it's not permanent I can't see the harm really, just a lot of wasted effort on their part, IMO.

(If it is something permanent, throw the book at them)

(eta - yellow FTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

I'd like to distance myself from your "Yellow" stance....fair minded people know the right answer is purple....!

Agree on the nonsense of putting this on Benbulben....totally uncalled for, and doesn't achieve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Gulliver wrote: »
    I don't care whether it's the Yes or No side doing this, it is vandalism pure and simple:

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/05/17/no-sign-appears-on-ben-bulben-in-county-sligo/

If I was to put up a "Yellow" sign during the Purple/Yellow snack debate, more than likely I'd be in trouble for damaging a Special Area of Conservation. However this seems to be OK?

False news and you're reported. Unless you show me some REAL "NO" sign on Benbulben - it should be pretty easy ??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

zom wrote: »
    False news and you're reported. Unless you show me some REAL "NO" sign on Benbulben - it should be pretty easy ??

Here you go: https://twitter.com/N_Five_One_B_U/status/997019807261319168

Story in The Journal here. What a waste of time and effort. I hope that's only paper or something else easily removed. This is a part of the country that myself and OH love to visit and have been twice over the past few weeks. That is an obscenity on an otherwise stunningly beautiful view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Apparently it’s nothing to do with the referendum. The sign when complete will say “No Single Women”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Wildcard: pink snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

It was going to be:

no no, no no
    no no, no no
    no no, no no
    there's no limit

but there didn't have enough space....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sorry, this was actually a real post?
    miamee wrote: »
    I hope that's only paper or something else easily removed. This is a part of the country that myself and OH love to visit and have been twice over the past few weeks. That is an obscenity on an otherwise stunningly beautiful view.

Slabs of some sort I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    That looks like something draped on the mountainside rather than actually gouged into it?

miamee wrote:
    . What a waste of time and effort. I hope that's only paper or something else easily removed. This is a part of the country that myself and OH love to visit and have been twice over the past few weeks. That is an obscenity on an otherwise stunningly beautiful view.

Hurrache wrote:
    Slabs of some sort I believe.

As per the ocean fm link its plastic sheeting!

mcgiggles wrote: »
    That article has been updated since the link was posted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Isn't that the RTE Southern Correspondent? :p

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    That article has been updated since the link was posted!

Ahhhh that makes more sense! I was like guys its right there haha

Ahhhh that makes more sense! I was like guys its right there haha
    They only had the N done when it was first posted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

BRITS OUT.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

And to think the no side do not want us interferring with nature.

Hopefully they are as quick as taking it down, and removing all trace from the mountain, within the electoral poster rules.

Story in The Journal here. What a waste of time and effort. I hope that's only paper or something else easily removed. This is a part of the country that myself and OH love to visit and have been twice over the past few weeks. That is an obscenity on an otherwise stunningly beautiful view.

Funny like your source https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/05/17/no...-county-sligo/ was showing THIS IMAGE today morning:

image.jpg

And now they show the one you re-twitted:

No-Sign-Benbulben-1024x695.jpeg

And to be clear - I am not pro-life supporter, I just prize my freedom and hate to be manipulated.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you'd read the article(s), the first image was taken when the people responsible were in the process of erecting the sign.

This is why there is an 'N' but no 'O' yet.

The second photo was taken when they were finished erecting the sign.

I didn't take either of the photos, they are not my photos.

If you'd read the article(s), the first image was taken when the people responsible were in the process of erecting the sign.

This is why there is an 'N' but no 'O' yet.

The second photo was taken when they were finished erecting the sign.

I didn't take either of the photos, they are not my photos.

How you know they finished?:cool:

I thought for a moment it was illegal action and vandalism rather than campaigning but it really seems to be people officially supporting that action (Sligo for life if I'm correct).
    Can't understand that this is legal in terms of nature heritage protection. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

Their main spokesperson was interviewed on his mountain activities on Ocean FM this morning, however, if you check out his facebook profile you will see that not all of his family members are standing behind him and his 'NO' vote!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Wildcard: pink snack.

The finished sign will say NO to Pink Snack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I thought for a moment it was illegal action and vandalism rather than campaigning

Being for campaigning purposes does not negate the fact it could be illegal and vandalism.

It’s plastic sheeting. Thought that might have been against their principles!

I’m in the yellow corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭scotchy

The sheeting was put up by young men while the women made sandwiches, according to the spokesman on Newstalk:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Hurrache wrote: »
    Being for campaigning purposes does not negate the fact it could be illegal and vandalism.

Well - I know we have poor law system and as far as I'm aware there is no fast-track way to prosecute supporting offenders like that. Pity as this is how it should work - if your campaigning action is illegal, you're prosecuted before you influence voters.

Gulliver wrote: »
    The finished sign will say NO to Pink Snack

Or YES campaigners should do some changes this night:

Ben-_Bulben-_No-sign.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Obscene littering of the countryside. Whether Yes or No side, Sligo CoCo should prosecute them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

scotchy wrote: »
    The sheeting was put up by young men while the women made sandwiches, according to the spokesman on Newstalk:)

Married women?

I was on the fence until I saw this. Definitely voting no now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

From: https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/0517/964129-ben-bulben-sligo-sign/

Mr Banks said that around 20 people had been working on the sign since 4am today. It was put up by men and there were women there as well, he said, making tea and sandwiches.

I wouldn't say they've done the no campaign any favours with that comment

Simona1986 wrote:
    I wouldn't say they've done the no campaign any favours with that comment

Oh ffs did he actually say "its a cry from the mountain to save Irelands babies"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

hjr wrote: »
    It was going to be:

no no, no no
    no no, no no
    no no, no no
    there's no limit

but there didn't have enough space....

Wanna bet....:D

DdZK5w-X0AAQT4Y.jpg

Advertisement