Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben Bulben defaced by Referendum Campaigners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Good publicity stunt I guess as everyone is talking about but it's not going to change minds. It might even be counter productive for the no side in trying to sway anyone who hasn't there mind made up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

Wildcard: pink snack.

..some men just want to watch the world burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

Caused some bad driving on my commute home this evening. Cars randomly/ suddenly pulling in to see/snap. Good few turning for Barna ribbon too. If it causes accident...

Defo yellow!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Liked Sligo Rovers tweet this morning. Who are the real Rovers...

https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/997085960092385280

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Ben Bulben seems to be great advertising board - just install some hyper-strong laser at the bottom of the hill and you can display any message you want - or even images !!

HTB1KO98JXXXXXa9XXXXq6xXFXXXv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Simona1986 wrote: »
    From: https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/0517/964129-ben-bulben-sligo-sign/

Mr Banks said that around 20 people had been working on the sign since 4am today. It was put up by men and there were women there as well, he said, making tea and sandwiches.

I wouldn't say they've done the no campaign any favours with that comment

I thought you were joking when you said that!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hiphophead2003

They're getting fierce desperate now, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

I was 50/50 on how to go on this vote... but these muppets that defaced the mountain has made me decide to vote YES, together with with the crap their people who were on Ocean FM this morning were spouting. I hope there are no road accidents on that road in the next few weeks due to people looking at their NO ..... If there is any --- that's when the NO SLIGO people should be contacted for a radio interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Wildcard: pink snack.

I'm for the purple snack.....but only if I can wash it down with nice cup of tea made by a wholesome Irish colleen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

It was great that their employers gave them the day off to mount such an inspiring protest.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

I was a NO till I saw this vandalism... how dear they deface OUR iconic mountain.... SHAME ON YE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

scotchy wrote: »
    The sheeting was put up by young men while the women made sandwiches, according to the spokesman on Newstalk:)

That line is like something straight out of father ted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭scotchy

Try_harder wrote: »
    That line is like something straight out of father ted

As a yes voter, I think it’s all too easy to laugh at this, but there are a lot of people voting no because they have sincere beliefs about the unborn child.

The fact that Dennis O’Brian has this guy on as part of Newstalks balanced discussion, saying that the mountain is talking to the people, and the women making sandwiches while the men do the work should be questioned.

The next referendum could see DOB on the opposite side of the fence to any of one of us on a different issue, and he will have the Father Ted characters on air about something that is important to some of us.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ah for god's sake, you think DOB personally lines up the guests and interviewees on radio each day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

DOB didnt make those guys put the No there, and make the women make the tea...

Or did he???

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ridiculous carry on. Whether Yes or No. The mountain shouldn't be defaced.

32870239_1672202172816345_4384787092362756096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9861a7f49493c27b64855a14bd259791&oe=5B7C55AF

32661350_1672321196137776_3337049701907169280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=6e31a40157694d4acde3c74809e79ad7&oe=5B855081

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭scotchy

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ah for god's sake, you think DOB personally lines up the guests and interviewees on radio each day?

Im not saying that, but I was listening to it, and It made uncomfortable listening.
    There was no comment after the piece and I thought it played to the stereotype of no voters as being backward religious country yocals.

Probably unfair to single out DOB as ive noticed similar with other media outlets.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

scotchy wrote:
    The next referendum could see DOB on the opposite side of the fence to any of one of us on a different issue, and he will have the Father Ted characters on air about something that is important to some of us.

nobody made those men get on newstalk only themselves

trust women, a no vote is for abortion in the bathroom/hotel and exporting the rest to Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Nobody put the words into that guys mouth but himself. He wasn't manipulated. Interviewees on news bulletins don't have a commentary on what they say afterwards, why should he have?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That was shortlived, most of it is gone now according to The Journal. Maybe it blew away in the night!
    http://www.thejournal.ie/ben-bulben-no-4020029-May2018/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

What's the fine for littering? 3000? Seeing as they have admitted to it and they know who did it, they should be hit with that now!

I remember the Brits Out sign up there,think it was back in the late 70s!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

You could still make it out in the 80's. My Dad had me thoroughly convinced that the 'brits out' slogan was the work of specially trained sheep.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Ben is completely clear as of an hour or so ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

jajjay wrote: »
    I was 50/50 on how to go on this vote... but these muppets that defaced the mountain has made me decide to vote YES, together with with the crap their people who were on Ocean FM this morning were spouting. I hope there are no road accidents on that road in the next few weeks due to people looking at their NO ..... If there is any --- that's when the NO SLIGO people should be contacted for a radio interview!
    I was a NO till I saw this vandalism... how dear they deface OUR iconic mountain.... SHAME ON YE...

Nice as it is to have more Yes voters, that really isn't how you should be deciding how to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Call me a cynic, but I highly doubt either was veering towards "No" to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Call me a cynic, but I highly doubt either was veering towards "No" to begin with.
    Have you not heard all the people saying that they were undecided, but they'll now vote a certain way due to how one side or another has behaved? It was the same during the marriage referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I remember the Brits Out sign up there,think it was back in the late 70s!
    I remember seeing it on television at a the time.
    You could still make it out in the 80's. My Dad had me thoroughly convinced that the 'brits out' slogan was the work of specially trained sheep.....

451104.jpg

Much more subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 taheen

lol people on that side of benBulben cant read anyways

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

taheen wrote:
    lol people on that side of benBulben cant read anyways

They were wondering what was left ON probably the emersion.

Advertisement