Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Docklands Station May be Relocated

• 17-05-2018 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irelands-newest-train-station-could-move-because-of-major-shortfall-in-passengers-36916197.html
    Transport bosses say they are considering relocating the country's newest train station to improve passenger numbers.

Latest figures show only 1,500 passengers a day use Docklands Station in Dublin, which opened in 2007, the Dail Transport Committee heard.

The station had been expected to cater for 2,500 passengers a day when it opened, rising to 10,000 over time.

National Transport authority deputy chief executive Hugh Cregan told the committee the station was not in the most "useful" location and was not serving the Docklands well.

The transfer to a site closer to the Luas stop at Spencer Dock could be done under the Dart Expansion programme, he said.

The new site - about 500 metres away - would form part of an expansion of services to Drogheda, Maynooth and Hazelhatch in Kildare.

"We'd like to move it closer to Spencer Dock and the Luas line. At the moment it's not serving the Docklands well. If we move it further south, it will connect," Mr Cregan said.

The possible site, owned by Irish Rail, was previously earmarked for an underground station for the Dart Underground project. But the tunnel element is currently shelved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd be curious how they expected more passengers since the made the trains shorter at peak, and it only runs at peak times Monday-Friday with no trains in the middle of the day.
    Its frequently overcrowded (standing is normal I mean jammed nose to nose in every nook and and cranny) and I've seen people left on the platform at times, in the dockland in the evenings.
    They also switched many of the Arrow carriages to intercity carriages.

That said moving it closer to the luas, makes perfect sense. Why they didn't do that before all the building started and its was a wasteland I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭noelfirl

beauf wrote: »
    That said moving it closer to the luas, makes perfect sense. Why they didn't do that before all the building started and its was a wasteland I have no idea.

It was ultimately intended to be a temporary station to relieve Connolly until DART underground came in and the network was reconfigured. Moving it nearer to the Luas stop was probably never on any radar.

To be honest, I don't think anything being in that space other than an underground station on an Interconnector-like line is a good idea. Relocating the surface station there will no doubt be used as a later excuse to trash any sort of DART underground line through the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

TBH a better (and cheaper) solution would be to leave the station in situ with two covered walkways going under Sherrif Street and then down to Mayor Street complete with airport style travelators.

There's is a lot of building going on in this area much of it needed extensive piling. I would be surprised if this area isn't already past the point of no return ..

The real issue is capacity on the line. Not a few mins walk to wherever.

Be very curious why there's no mention of that in the article.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

beauf wrote: »
    The real issue is capacity on the line. Not a few mins walk to wherever.

Be very curious why there's no mention of that in the article.

‘Spin and win’ isn’t only limited to Winning Streak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,908 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they want to get passenger numbers up, use commuter trains that are suited to standing, run additional services from Maynooth and run Saturday services. Even The Drain in London which is vaguely equivalent has Saturday services.

Extending the running day would likely help too particularly as more flexible working days come in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

L1011 wrote: »
    If they want to get passenger numbers up, use commuter trains that are suited to standing, run additional services from Maynooth and run Saturday services. Even The Drain in London which is vaguely equivalent has Saturday services.

Extending the running day would likely help too particularly as more flexible working days come in

Whatever about running them directly to Docklands or not off peak but the line would certainly benefit with a service on the line each way each hour. The loadings on most of the peak hour service trains towards M3 are healthy. Meanwhile the off peak shuttle runs almost empty to and from Clonsilla, sitting idle for the guts of an hour between it's modest runs while passengers often stand off peak between Dublin and Clonsilla.

I just drive midday. Too big gaps between trains and none to docklands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The trains can’t physically carry more people they’re so crowded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

If they relocate the station then they could actually connect Docklands directly onto the Northern Line properly. Where it is atm it's just too far west to physically do but moving it 500m east would make it possible to reallign the tracks to connect with both lines properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Infini wrote: »
    If they relocate the station then they could actually connect Docklands directly onto the Northern Line properly. Where it is atm it's just too far west to physically do but moving it 500m east would make it possible to reallign the tracks to connect with both lines properly.

In other words make it even further from the city centre, and even less popular with the travelling public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

Run a tramway down Park lane and put another pedestrian bridge in

I don't think location will make any difference if this is the middle schedule. (there are trains earlier and later than this)

I hear Luas and Dart users complain about missing a train/tram and having to wait for the next one 10 mins away.

11sgisg.png

This is a 20 mins rail route from D.15 to the city center. It IS popular. It has neither the capacity in carriages or scheduling to carry any more.

Advertisement