Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 12: Osimo–Imola 214km

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    is that bump in the road with 20k to go big enough to drop Viviani tomorrow?

If Viviani is feeling okay then that Cat. 4 climb shouldn't be a bother to him, especially since the rest of the day is pan flat. But he got dropped relatively easily today so maybe he is not 100%...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Maybe we need another torrential downpour. The remarkably "Irish" climate today must have helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Both Sam and Yates looked like they were really suffering in the PR stuff after the stage, I hope that he stays healthy as the race progresses. Isnt he out of contract with Bora at the end of the year? His wins will have ensured he has great strength in negotiating a new and better deal

Would think aswell a move away from bora could be better for him as he'll never get the chances at the likes of the tdf with Sagan around

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

neris wrote: »
    Would think aswell a move away from bora could be better for him as he'll never get the chances at the likes of the tdf with Sagan around

Bora have a cracking sprint train, I'd say he'd be hesitant to go somewhere that was a downgrade on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

According to the Bora and PCS sites he's contracted for 2019

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

According to the Bora and PCS sites he's contracted for 2019

Cheers - he may have renewed last year so? There are lots of new guys coming on the pro scene and with reduced team sizes in the GTs, it is surely better for him that he stays with Bora? With Sagan there and choosing whatever races he wants, Sam then surely gets to to at least one GT a year....not a bad situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Both Sam and Yates looked like they were really suffering in the PR stuff after the stage, I hope that he stays healthy as the race progresses. Isnt he out of contract with Bora at the end of the year? His wins will have ensured he has great strength in negotiating a new and better deal

By no means gospel procyclingstats has Sam listed as having a contract with Bora for 2019.
    https://www.procyclingstats.com/team/bora-hansgrohe-2019
    Apparently he signed a contract extension at the end of last seasoncovering 2018 and 2019

I see I was beaten to it.

Cycling news reported on it late last year
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/formolo-signs-with-bora-hansgrohe-to-target-grand-tours/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

That was a fairly dominant performance by Sam, seemed quite easy for him. And just cos Viviani was gone doesn't mean there were no sprinters left, Van Poppel is no slouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Bora have a cracking sprint train, I'd say he'd be hesitant to go somewhere that was a downgrade on them.

Surely his career goal now must be to target the green jersey at the TDF. This will never happen at Bora unless Sagan is injured.I wonder what the other Carrick resident, who has a few green jerseys of his own, would suggest?

• Advertisement

What stayed with me from today was Sam off the front on the climb , that was more a Sagan move. Can't recall if I've ever seen him do that? EDIT: Actually Tour of Britain way back.

Just showed a confidence and hunger I don't think I've seen in him up to now. I've seen on a few occasions ... London last year I think things didn't go to plan and he slams the bars or sits up early. Today I saw something different him.

Must have been something to have his partner there at the end to share that feeling with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Bora a good team for Sam, the TDF is not the be all but he may get a ride there if the form is good enough.
    Sometime good to have a plan B and also a foil for Sagan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RobFowl wrote: »
    Bora a good team for Sam, the TDF is not the be all but he may get a ride there if the form is good enough.
    Sometime good to have a plan B and also a foil for Sagan.

It is for the Sponsor though. It's the most broadcast of all the races. Having Sagan and Sam picking up stages, or at the front of races would be great for them. Bora's president named TdF, Vuelta and the Flanders races as the important ones in terms of exposure for their brand a while ago.

Maybe the Italians don't care for his cookers (and why would they, their food is near perfect)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Pizza and pasta are near impossible to feck up so nothing really to shout about there.

Surely his career goal now must be to target the green jersey at the TDF. This will never happen at Bora unless Sagan is injured.I wonder what the other Carrick resident, who has a few green jerseys of his own, would suggest?

Guy wins two stages in the Giro and all of a sudden he's destined for the TDF green jersey. Steady on.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Guy wins two stages in the Giro and all of a sudden he's destined for the TDF green jersey. Steady on.

I never said he was destined for the green jersey. As a top class international sprinter, surely he should be targeting a shot at the green jersey, which is seen as the pinnacle of the sport for sprinters?

Will he get that chance at Bora while Sagan is there?

I never said he was destined for the green jersey. As a top class international sprinter, surely he should be targeting a shot at the green jersey, which is seen as the pinnacle of the sport for sprinters?

Will he get that chance at Bora while Sagan is there?

Fair enough. Probably not unless as a result of injury.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The TDF Green jersey is gone until Sagan retires !

Advertisement