Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Are Eir Phones So Expensive?

Options
  • 17-05-2018 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭

In the market for a new phone and as usual there's not much of a selection. Looking at the Huawei P20 and it's €700 with Eir compared to €550 on Vodafone and €560 on 3.

Huge price difference, you'd be mad to actually spend that considering it's factory unlocked on Amazon for €530.

I had a look at other phones and it's both old and new. Whether it's a Galaxy or the iPhone 8, they're all €100-150 more expensive on Eir.

Are these factory unlocked? Because these prices are far too high.

I could move to 3's €30 Sim only plan with unlimited data, texts and minutes and the extra €5 a month would still be less over a 2 year period than if I bought the phone with Eir.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Have you also compared the monthly cost of your 24 month contract? Add the cost of your phone to 24 months of a bill and come back and say who is the cheapest, comparing like with like, say 15GB data per month. Without looking, I bet it will be eir!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Have you also compared the monthly cost of your 24 month contract? Add the cost of your phone to 24 months of a bill and come back and say who is the cheapest, comparing like with like, say 15GB data per month. Without looking, I bet it will be eir!!

I'm talking about prepay phones and I'm on a Sim only plan. I'll never go back to a 24 month contract on Eir. I signed up to a 4G plan and they got rid of 4G in the area. When it came back, I had zero signal despite living across the road from a cell tower. Called them up and was told my house is a "black spot" despite their coverage map showing 4G in my area.

Getting back on topic. The cheapest plan on 3 is €30, which has unlimited data, calls and texts. Eir's €30 plan only has 15GB of data. Like for like, 3 are better value.

Since you mentioned a contract, on a €30 contract on both networks the phone is €309 on 3 vs €399 on Eir. 3 has unlimited data, 50 minutes and Eir has 1GB of data, 100 minutes.

Eir aren't cheaper. Their plans aren't as good and their phones are a lot more expensive.

Not to worry as I ordered the phone on Amazon and saved myself €160 :)

Advertisement