Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aero road bike ~€3k

Options
  • 17-05-2018 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I'm looking for an aero road bike around the €3k - €3.5k mark. I've had a look around a few websites and picked some I like but just wondering is there any I might have missed. What would you choose? I will be using the C2W scheme so buying online isn't an option.

Giant PROPEL ADVANCED 0 - Would love Di2 gears but wonder if they might be more hassle (charging batteries etc)
    Giant PROPEL ADVANCED PRO 1 - No Di2 but a better frame and wheels than the above
    Giant PROPEL ADVANCED DISC - Like the idea of disc brakes but again, wonder about maintenance.

Cervelo S3 Ultegra 8000 - Don't really know much about it other than I see Cervelo's at a lot at races and have heard they are fast
    Argon 18 Nitrogen Ultegra 8000 - Like the look of this
    Trek Emonda SL 6 Pro 2018 - Again, like the look of this.
    CUBE AGREE C62 SL 2018 - And once again, just like the look of this.

USE
    My requirements are a bit vague other than I suppose I want a carbon frame and at least Ultegra groupset. I have a bike for commuting so this will just be for weekends and some triathlons/adventure races. I will invest in a triathlon bike at some stage so I just want a good road bike for now. I do not want a second hand bike.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

in the same boat and just bought the Argon Nitrogen with Di2. tried most of them out and the argon was a clear winner ! Get the Di2 , you only live once :)

For me the Giant was ok - lots of them around though and felt to sell on in the future this wouldnt get the most value back
    Cervelo was my initial choice until I tried it - was too stiff for me and not comfortable
    Cube & Trek just not suiting me design wise or looks etc so disregarded them personally.

My use case is the same as yours too btw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    in the same boat and just bought the Argon Nitrogen with Di2. tried most of them out and the argon was a clear winner ! Get the Di2 , you only live once :)

For me the Giant was ok - lots of them around though and felt to sell on in the future this wouldnt get the most value back
    Cervelo was my initial choice until I tried it - was too stiff for me and not comfortable
    Cube & Trek just not suiting me design wise or looks etc so disregarded them personally.

Thanks...the Di2 (at €3,950) would be pushing the budget a little though. How do you find the Di2? Any discount I wonder to bring it more inline with my budget? :confused: Did you pay the full price?

I knew I shouldn't have asked here...I'm already thinking of revising the budget :P:)

Borderfox wrote: »
    The Planet X looks like very good value and I like the looks! Although it's the older Ultegra groupset (6800 vs 8000) and the wheels look like they'd need upgrading to something deeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

There's little difference, at least from my perspective, between old ultegra and new...except price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Milk_Tray wrote: »

Why is that so expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Political Wall Map

Trek Madone... has to be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

If your going to upgrade to a TT bike anyway does it have to be limited to an aero bike? Would a good normal road bike be another option? Seems to be a bit of a premium on aero bikes because they are aero. Aero bikes seem to lose some comfort on reviews I have seen so it might be worth having a nice road bike to do some training on and then the TT for racing.

The aero bike I like the look of is the new Orbea one. I seem to be recommending orbea a lot but this looks like a really nice bike to me,

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/3353/orbea-orca-aero#description-tab-tab

Spec looks decent, probably do with new wheels at some stage but price wise I think it stacks up well to the others.

Edit to add: That planet x stealth is an old old TT frame with a set of road handlebars, when I bought my first TT bike around 5 years ago it was an old design. I'm not sure how sticking a set of road handlebars on a bike with TT geometry would work either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement