Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total newbie seeking advice

Options
  • 17-05-2018 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Hi cyclists,

I just bought an electric bike (a Giant ease-e) to commute to work. Blanch village to city Centre. I’m a total newbie, haven’t sat on a bike for probably 30 years and am very overweight. My biggest fear is the judgement I will get from people due to my size & being on a bike. But everyone has to start somewhere, right?

So. Can anyone help me with suggestions for

A) where to source plus size rain gear
    B) what bag I should have - pannier vs backpack
    C) tips for cycling in the city for a nervous beginner
    D) preferred routes

I appreciate any advice you can give. I want to change my lifestyle & this is a great way to do it while also improving my mental health by getting some air. I have no idea what’s required for everyday cycling & the benefits/pitfalls to watch out for. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Comments

Can't advise about the route but you have the bike now and from the looks of it a fine afternoon and evening ahead. Why not take it out locally today and get a feel for it on familiar roads before you do the commute. Will help build confidence and get you used to the bike.

To hell with what anyone else thinks, anyone I see out with a bit of weight be it walking, bike etc have my utmost respect for being proactive and looking to improve their health . On the metal health side nothing like a bike ride for blowing out the cobwebs, do some of my best thinking and clearing the head while on my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Hi cyclists,

I just bought an electric bike (a Giant ease-e) to commute to work. Blanch village to city Centre. I’m a total newbie, haven’t sat on a bike for probably 30 years and am very overweight. My biggest fear is the judgement I will get from people due to my size & being on a bike. But everyone has to start somewhere, right?

So. Can anyone help me with suggestions for

A) where to source plus size rain gear
    B) what bag I should have - pannier vs backpack
    C) tips for cycling in the city for a nervous beginner
    D) preferred routes

I appreciate any advice you can give. I want to change my lifestyle & this is a great way to do it while also improving my mental health by getting some air. I have no idea what’s required for everyday cycling & the benefits/pitfalls to watch out for. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Route wise i'd go Old Navan Road, then turn onto Auburn Road, and on through the park. It's a fairly quite route which will help if you aren't confident on the bike. Even if you are, stay away from the N3 crossing over the M50. Anyone who cycles across that is looking to get killed.

P.S good for you getting out and active

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Dont worry about the perceptions of others. People of every age, size and shape cycle, the main thing is to just get out there and do it.

Id second Enfilade's advice. Go out and do some practise on quieter or more familiar roads. If you know any other cycle commuters ask them to go for a cycle with you and give you a few pointers.

As for cycling in traffic I would say you need to be assertive, pull out around obstacles way ahead of time, dont be afraid to slow traffic down if it makes you safer, be very careful when moving along the inside of large vehicles - and the number 1 bit of safety advice is to always glance over your shoulder before you make any move.

Panniers may be more suited as backpacks tend to add to the sweat, but it really depends on how much you need to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Thanks for the support guys I really appreciate it. I drive through the park every day & envy the fit people flying along on their bike. I have a long way to go and am afraid of everything. But I need to try. O, if you see an overweight person struggling in the park during the next couple of weeks, please give me some slack.

In the meantime, I have no idea where to get rain gear from or how to carry my stuff to work. Do you jeep your work clothes in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Thanks for the support guys I really appreciate it. I drive through the park every day & envy the fit people flying along on their bike. I have a long way to go and am afraid of everything. But I need to try. O, if you see an overweight person struggling in the park during the next couple of weeks, please give me some slack.

In the meantime, I have no idea where to get rain gear from or how to carry my stuff to work. Do you jeep your work clothes in work?

As others have already said I wouldn't worry about how anyone else perceives you plus once you start, the weight will fly off.

If you have space, id advise keeping a pair of shoes in work as they can be bulky if you decide to use a back pack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

To hell with what anyone else thinks, anyone I see out with a bit of weight be it walking, bike etc have my utmost respect for being proactive and looking to improve their health . On the metal health side nothing like a bike ride for blowing out the cobwebs, do some of my best thinking and clearing the head while on my bike.

Totally agree with this, I can't run anymore but still hark after it. It's why I took up cycling, lost about 8kilos or so. Not in a club, but nothing like being out & about on a summer evening or weekend morning. Go for it, you've caught the bug!!! Above all, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Don't get rain gear. You will seal in sweat and basically boil in the bag.

Instead rbing a change fo clothes or leave a change of clothes in work.

I wear cycling tights (which are basically just rebranded women's tights tbh :P) under cotton shorts. No problem if they get wet. I have a rain jacket.

Carry in socks, underwear and shirt, I keep shoes and the rest of my clothes in work.

Good luck! It will be a bit sore at first, especially your ass, perservere and you will be so glad you did. The pain is muscles that are not used to the job supporting your weight ona narrow saddle. It will just take a few weeks for those muscles to harden up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I think you'll find (if you were able to read minds) that most people will look at you and think, fair play to him.

I seen a very very overweight woman out running on my way into work this evening and I thought, well done you, at least your doing something about your weight.

No one really cares to be honest and what do you care what a total stranger who you will most likely never see again, thinks of you.

Enjoy your bike and make the most of the summer months ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Thanks so much everyone. I took the bike out a few mins ago & fell off. I’m so rusty! I’ve a lot to learn.

Thanks so much everyone. I took the bike out a few mins ago & fell off. I’m so rusty! I’ve a lot to learn.

Theres a whole thread on here somewhere called "When did you last fall off your bike" or similar so you can rest assured it happens to all of us :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Hi OP, not sure Fian's "boil in the bag" statement re rain-gear applies when you've said your bike is an ebike. One reason people like e-bikes is that because of the help from the battery you don't arrive in work in a lather of sweat. Lots of people who cycle wear a cycling rain jacket. It's cut differently to a standard walking jacket and covers the bum but you could use whatever rain jacket you have to start with.This time of year you might get by without one. You don't need special cycling clothes but make sure you don't wear trousers that will catch in the chain or if you're female don't wear a long flowing skirt that will catch in the spokes. If female tight skirt obv not a good idea either as hard to get on and off bike so if you wear straight skirts at work change wehn you get there.. Capri pants or leggings are ideal as they wont catch in anything. I prefer panniers myself but lots of people like a backback because its easy to carry around if you're and about, eg into a shop or café on the way to or from work, Probably not a good idea to cycle in good work shoes, if you can, keep a pair in work and cycle in runners or something with a good grip. sSippy soles that slide on wet pedals are not a good idea. Hi-viz and helmet is up to you, I use them myself most of the time, don't believe they'll protect me if I get knocked down by a truck or a bus but at least in the ensuing court-case the judge can't tell my family it must be my own fault I'm dead since I wasn't wearing high-viz!
    Re route and gaining confidence etc, have you contacted the Dublin Cycling Campaign. Afaik they will try to find a member on or near your route who will cycle it with you once to show you the ropes. and support their demand for the Liffey cycle Route, it's just what you need!
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

As Holly Johnson once said, Relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

But he also said "Don't do it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Im in a similar boat but not been as aggressive on distance. Need to get fit and started doing a 20km round trip to work. On a hybrid at the moment but buying a road bike hopefully tomorrow.

Are you in the village itself? where about in city centre? I know a few people that cycle that route so give me some ideas of direction and I will ask

In terms of clothing. The local shops seems to have a high margin. I bought some stuff from Sports Direct. Cheap and cheerful. Not much of a fashion statement

Longer term going to maybe buy from Chain Reaction or some of the online stores. Also need to check around UK and see if can delivered via Parcel motel
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/jerseys-cycle

I wouldn't mind anyway, if they do say then more fool on them. At least you are giving it a go....best of luck.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Hi OP, not sure Fian's "boil in the bag" statement re rain-gear applies when you've said your bike is an ebike. One reason people like e-bikes is that because of the help from the battery you don't arrive in work in a lather of sweat. Lots of people who cycle wear a cycling rain jacket. It's cut differently to a standard walking jacket and covers the bum but you could use whatever rain jacket you have to start with.This time of year you might get by without one. You don't need special cycling clothes but make sure you don't wear trousers that will catch in the chain or if you're female don't wear a long flowing skirt that will catch in the spokes. If female tight skirt obv not a good idea either as hard to get on and off bike so if you wear straight skirts at work change wehn you get there.. Capri pants or leggings are ideal as they wont catch in anything. I prefer panniers myself but lots of people like a backback because its easy to carry around if you're and about, eg into a shop or café on the way to or from work, Probably not a good idea to cycle in good work shoes, if you can, keep a pair in work and cycle in runners or something with a good grip. sSippy soles that slide on wet pedals are not a good idea. Hi-viz and helmet is up to you, I use them myself most of the time, don't believe they'll protect me if I get knocked down by a truck or a bus but at least in the ensuing court-case the judge can't tell my family it must be my own fault I'm dead since I wasn't wearing high-viz!
    Re route and gaining confidence etc, have you contacted the Dublin Cycling Campaign. Afaik they will try to find a member on or near your route who will cycle it with you once to show you the ropes. and support their demand for the Liffey cycle Route, it's just what you need!
    Good luck!

Never had a problem with this and I wear dresses and skirts every day, plenty of long, flowing ones too. My commuter has mudguards which mitigates almost all problems, and I haven't had any bother on my mudguardless bikes either.
    I commute exclusively in normal clothes and sweat isn't a problem for me as I keep it handy commuting, but I know every one is different in that regard.
    I would advise getting a cycling specific rain jacket however, you can throw it on over your normal clothes when there's a shower on, and fold it into a pocket when your're not using it. I used the Aldi one (and still do) and it's grand, I've even raced in it. I have a more pricey one and a mid priced one and there is no difference in breathability in my experience.

Take it handy, enjoy the freedom and air on the bike and you won't be long getting addicted to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

I think a few leisure cycles around the Phoenix park are in order , before you load yourself up for a work commute, no time pressure on a leisure cycle .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

What gear depends on your set up at work and distance/fitness.

The Dutch lead the way in jumping on a bike dressed for work and getting there with a minimum of fuss. Your e-bike will help as you can do little effort in and push on the way home.

That's the ideal, handy to work and able to wear your clothes for the day.

Longer distances and more effort lead to more dedicated kit, which means a change of clothes. But how you get your work stuff in depends on your set up. Lockers and showers is the dream at work, can bring a week's worth of clothes in one go, wash upon arrival and get changed ready for work.

As a big lad I gave up on rain gear, I'd love to shrink in the wash and I'm always pretty warm so sweat enough the I'd rather not boil in the bag. I've been lucky that my employers have had to have showers by law and also supplied towels and lockers.

I can recommend pearl izumi gear for proper (not Italian midget) sizing that scales well for big blokes, Madison shorts are also similar in that ability.

Words of advice that I've not seen on my skim read. Start two days a week and work up to a full week. It's also grand to have a day when you aren't feeling the love. Ice is your worst enemy, frosty mornings are a shall I/shan't I? Out in the country with not a lot of salt, probably not a problem in town.

And the best...

Carry two spare inner tubes, a pump and levers. When you get a puncture don't try to patch it on the side of the road. Clear the tyre and put a fresh tube in (YouTube has loads of videos to show you how), fix the tube at home in front of the fire where it is warm and you have plenty of time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would echo the above about not aiming for every single day first. start with every second day, you'll allow your body more time to get used to the new demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Please remember to be very very careful of Lorries.
    if you come up alongside a Lorry they cannot see you due to blindspots so can be very very dangerous.
    the rule of thumb is just stay the hell away from Lorries!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

saccades wrote: »
    What gear depends on your set up at work and distance/fitness.

The Dutch lead the way in jumping on a bike dressed for work and getting there with a minimum of fuss. Your e-bike will help as you can do little effort in and push on the way home.

That's the ideal, handy to work and able to wear your clothes for the day.

Longer distances and more effort lead to more dedicated kit, which means a change of clothes. But how you get your work stuff in depends on your set up. Lockers and showers is the dream at work, can bring a week's worth of clothes in one go, wash upon arrival and get changed ready for work.

As a big lad I gave up on rain gear, I'd love to shrink in the wash and I'm always pretty warm so sweat enough the I'd rather not boil in the bag. I've been lucky that my employers have had to have showers by law and also supplied towels and lockers.

I can recommend pearl izumi gear for proper (not Italian midget) sizing that scales well for big blokes, Madison shorts are also similar in that ability.

Words of advice that I've not seen on my skim read. Start two days a week and work up to a full week. It's also grand to have a day when you aren't feeling the love. Ice is your worst enemy, frosty mornings are a shall I/shan't I? Out in the country with not a lot of salt, probably not a problem in town.

And the best...

Carry two spare inner tubes, a pump and levers. When you get a puncture don't try to patch it on the side of the road. Clear the tyre and put a fresh tube in (YouTube has loads of videos to show you how), fix the tube at home in front of the fire where it is warm and you have plenty of time.

Italian Midget … hahahahah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Also might be worth taking a few weekends when traffic is quieter in town and doing a test run. So you get the route into your head. Also will get you used to cycling in traffic before the mayhem that is rush hour....Will give you to get a chance to get used to the distance etc.

Trucks and buses are an issue but it is not like years ago with the huge trucks going up Quays.....they are all in port tunnel now......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

It depends what you wear for work. I need to wear a suit so, although I have only a shortish commute, I leave a couple of suits in work and get them dry cleaned nearby. Only need to carry shirts. I have a pannier bag (less sweaty as others have said) but no need to have that sorted before you start - a backpack will do. Wear clothes on the bike you can dry easily but a raincoat in the bag is probably a must.

You can worry about pumps and tubes later. Similarly, don't worry about lights for now unless you work odd hours. The main thing is to get going.

Cycling is great for losing weight and good for the head but don't bother thinking about that. All the benefits will flow naturally once you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hi cyclists,

!

Absolutely! And we’ll done on making the decision to change! To hell with what anyone else thinks.. your doing this for YOU. Their opinion doesn’t matter.

We were all newbies at some point and if you cycle regularly you will see health improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Budawanny wrote: »
    Please remember to be very very careful of Lorries.
    if you come up alongside a Lorry they cannot see you due to blindspots so can be very very dangerous.
    the rule of thumb is just stay the hell away from Lorries!

Good advise... stay behind them and it’s true..if you can’t see the driver s reflection in the trucks mirrors...he/she can’t see you!

If you do stop at lights and a truck ( or bus) stops beside you... move forward and ensure you can be seen by the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It would be worth your while considering riding the canal as far as Ashtown station and then diverting to the Phoenix park. Nice off-road route over the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

When your out on the road and it's a tight squeeze for a bike and a car try to get into the middle of your lane to not let the drivers behind you feel tempted to squeeze past. They'll eventually be able to safely pass you within a couple of seconds further down the road.

As another poster said, it's handy to keep your shoes in work.

I've got something like this saddle bag https://www.evanscycles.com/ortlieb-bikepacking-seat-pack-EV276883. I keep it on the bike and have my shirt etc in a bag inside it.

Advertisement