Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a Zinnia?

Options
  • 17-05-2018 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

I have been growing these flowers for the last few years and they seem to do a great job of brightening up the garden in the summer months and even in to the Autumn. The odd one can survive overwinter as this one which self seeded on the driveway has. I got them originally from a packet of mixed seeds as I wanted to check a variety of flowers to see what grew well. Some grow different shades of yellow and orange and I have saved and reset the seeds as well as enjoying seeing them sprout fresh from seeds left in the ground from last years crop. Since they were from a seed mixture I can't say for sure what they are. Are they Zinnias?
    Thanks for any opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Look more like marigolds to me, though I cannot see the leafs very clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

looksee wrote: »
    Look more like marigolds to me, though I cannot see the leafs very clearly.

The leaves seem to be less segmented than I see in pictures of marigolds, but there is definitely a similarity.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Is it Calendula ....part of the marigold family???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Marigolds are calendulas -calendula is the latin name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

yogibear77 wrote: »
    Is it Calendula ....part of the marigold family???

Just looked up images of calendula and there is one that seems to be a match. Must be some part of the marigold/calendula family so. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement