Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word corrupt file: how to recover it?

Options
  • 17-05-2018 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    A Word file that I had on a USB drive is corrupt. Is there a way, possibly free, to recover it, even on-line?

The solution described on Microsoft's website does not work...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SmaRkieS

Hi all,
    A Word file that I had on a USB drive is corrupt. Is there a way, possibly free, to recover it, even on-line?

The solution described on Microsoft's website does not work...

Thanks!

Might be accessible but only few lines will be displayed, is it because you unplug the USB drive while it is accessing the file?

There might be a quick save file in your PC.

After closing the Word file unwittingly, open up a new MS Word document again. Go to File > Info > Manage Versions. Click on the little dropdown and select Recover Unsaved Documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

What's the error message you see when trying to open it?

What online tutorial did you try (link?)

Can you see if Recuva will restore a previous version (unlikely but worth a shot).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

SmaRkieS wrote: »
    Might be accessible but only few lines will be displayed, is it because you unplug the USB drive while it is accessing the file?

There might be a quick save file in your PC.

After closing the Word file unwittingly, open up a new MS Word document again. Go to File > Info > Manage Versions. Click on the little dropdown and select Recover Unsaved Documents.

I can't remember me unplugging the pendrive during the access to the file. I always follow the procedure.

I did what you said, it doesn't see any file to be recovered, and if I force the file into the box it says the file is corrupt.
    Forgot to say that I'm using Win10, with Office 2010. Actually I wanted to add this bit of info in my post but it wouldn't let me edit it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SmaRkieS

hmmmmm While your typing that document, is it save from the PC first before copy to USB drive?

try this from the same computer you use/encode that document.

1. On the File menu, click Recent.
    2. Click Recover Unsaved Documents.
    3. If you find the Word document that you are looking for, double-click it to open it.
    4. Save it immediately.

or

b. Click the File menu, and then click Open.
    c. Locate the folder in which you last saved the missing file.
    d. In the Files of type list (All Word documents), click All Files. The backup file usually has the name "Backup of" followed by the name of the missing file.
    e. Click the backup file, and then click Open.

or

Use easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

Unfortunately none of the above tips worked for me...
    There are no "unsaved documents" in the Recent Tab.
    There's no backup files of anything in the folder I'm looking for.
    I had already tried easeus etc, one of my first attempt.

• Advertisement

verycool wrote: »
    What's the error message you see when trying to open it?

What online tutorial did you try (link?)

Can you see if Recuva will restore a previous version (unlikely but worth a shot).
    I thought I had replied this post before, my reply has disappeared.
    Anyway, Recuva says that the file is unrecoverable because it's been, apparently, overwritten!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

I thought I had replied this post before, my reply has disappeared.
    Anyway, Recuva says that the file is unrecoverable because it's been, apparently, overwritten!

Try opening it in Notepad. There'll be a lot of garbage at the top but hopefully you'll see the actual text further down.

aoh wrote: »
    Try opening it in Notepad. There'll be a lot of garbage at the top but hopefully you'll see the actual text further down.

Amazing!!!! It worked!!!
    How can I give you 10 thanks? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Amazing!!!! It worked!!!
    How can I give you 10 thanks? :D

No worries. Have done it plenty of times myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

aoh wrote: »

Noted for future use!

• Advertisement
Advertisement