Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.5 creedmoor

Options
  • 17-05-2018 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Does anyone here use the 6.5cm and how do they find it?. I've a 270 and a 223 and have a mad notion to trade the 2 for 1??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

270WIN wrote: »
    Does anyone here use the 6.5cm and how do they find it?. I've a 270 and a 223 and have a mad notion to trade the 2 for 1??

I was watching a youtube video about the cartridge, and it is basically a 6.5 round designed to replicate the ballistics of the 6.5 swede, in a shorter case so it can be used in the ar platform.

Like anything slightly unusual, getting ammo might be a pain in ireland. Personally, i had a .308 and used it for everything, foxes to deer and informal target shooting. The rounds could be bought anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Availability of ammo could be an issue alright. I suppose the 308 would be a more logical choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I started to use a .270 in the last couple of seasons and am genuinely pleased with it. I tend to read and do a bit of research on things I do or own and there's plenty of articles written on the subject of the .270, one of which compares it to the 6.5. It goes on to point out each calibre shortfalls and trumps compared to each other but at the end of the article it says that and I paraphrase here 'those who have a .270 shouldn't rush off and buy a 6.5 as too those who own a 6.5 shouldn't rush to buy a .270, but a person looking to buy a new rifle would do well with either calibre'.
    Weather or not the 6.5 is comparable to the 6.5 creadmoore I don't know, it has been said the new 6.5 breeds will give the older 6mm's a run for their money as to poll position among top favourite hunting rounds. The newer 6.5's can be loaded to greater capacity because they are been used in modern firearms and it is said that with premium factory ammunition even the 6.5 Swede has better performance on game that was only truly to be found if one could hand load.
    What tickles my fancy below the .30 Cal group is the 7mm 08, but again short of ringing / running around I've only seen two shops advertising and as yet no rifle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never shot a 6.5cm, but have seen an increase in popularity (along with 6mmBr, etc).

On the range they are close to the 308 for short to medium distance shooting (sub 600 yards). At longer ranges the 6.5, on paper, should be better than the 308, but then for me its down to bullet choice and handloaded -v- factory ammo.

It [the 6.5CM] has some advantages over the 308 in terms of less recoil and it is also short action, etc. but with a faster/hotter bullet/round it means shorter barrel life and as said above problems with ammo availability. Read a while back about Americans having toruble finding factory ammo, and bullets/casings. While the article is 2 years old, it made me wonder how there is a problem getting it in the states with the cartridge being over 10 years old, and if they have trouble what chance have lads here of getting a good choice and steady supply.

Of course the other issue is rifle availability. I know Ruger precision are chambered in 6.5CM, but how many other rifle manufacturers, here, offer it? Most of what i've seen are custom rifles.

If it's for game and a bit of informal plinking up to and out to 400 yds or even 500 yards i'd stick with your 270. If it's full target shooting at 600+ with some game thrown in for good measure then the Creedmoor might be worth a consideration.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I would have thought the .270 would have far more punch than the creedmoor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I just swapped my. 270 and. 223 for an RPR in 6.5 Creedmore and a HMR (still waiting on the license for HMR) recently but two early to tell if one is better than the other. It was the platform I really wanted and to be honest I would have taken it in 6.5 or 308 but the 6.5 was available. I field tested it the other day and myself and my mate shot 10 goats on a cull. He had a 308. We shot them from 250 to 500 yards. One of his ones was at 477 and two of mine were at 500 yards but all still fell when hit. I liked the 270 but I had an itch for the RPR other than that I would have kept the 270.
    There seems to be plenty of of ammo in the shops at the moment for it.

On a side note the American milatry snipers are doing testing on the 6.5 Creedmore with the intention of swapping over those who still have the 308 to 6.5 creedmoor

Also sellor and bellot have a 6.5 creedmoor round out now

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭roosman

As the 6.5 CM rifles are relatively scarce, another option is to buy a shot out or tatty 308, as a donor rifle, and rebarrel it for 6.5. The action and bolt face are the same. You could even be very cute and get a remage barrel and do the fitting yourself to save on smith fees.. and swap back to a 308 if desired..

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

The 6.5 creed is super easy to shoot. Factory match ammo is consistent and fast, you can get factory ammo that will hold 4 inches at 600 yards from 25 euro a box (American eagle 140g).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

I've no interest in target shooting...only vermin and deer. I shoot a few reds and fallow..not many 3 or 4 a year. Foxes and scald crows. I dont get enough use for 2 rifles and was thinking of trading them for just one..dont know what to do really!! I had a 243 years ago but never shot a red with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Ziggieire wrote:
    The 6.5 creed is super easy to shoot. Factory match ammo is consistent and fast, you can get factory ammo that will hold 4 inches at 600 yards from 25 euro a box (American eagle 140g).

Where is it at this price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I had a 243 years ago but never shot a red with it.

I've taken a few with the .243, (hinds, calves, spikers and stags), 100gr softpoints, max range 150ish yards and with the exception of one, at the most two, all where neck shots and all including chest shots dropped to the shot dead.
    The same could not be said about the Sika, two heart shots on calves last year with the .270, one went 30 yards, the other dropped were I shot it but only my after staggering around for about 20 yards in a complete circle.
    Others may disagree but you'll drop the big lads at sensible distance with a sensible shot placement. I don't know if I'd stretch the .243's legs beyond 200 yards on the reds for a boiler room shot. No doubt it's been done regularly, but I've began to lean towards the thinking that it is, no matter how great a calibre, only a 6mm,100g pill and at distances beyond what could be considered sensible, will not do enough damage on a traditional chest shot on larger game.
    I've come to favour the 30-06 for a deer round but not an all rounder, I think the .243, in this country, is reigning king for preditor and deer control. My experience to date with the 270 is very positive and I believe if fitted with a moderator would easily replace my .243 in its current rolls while providing me with a heavier bullet choice.
    Now purlely from desktop research this is where the 6.5 may straddle the calibres, light enough to be an effective and sensible vermin round but with the capability to throw out heavier bullets for bigger quarry over varying conditions.

My bucket list conumdrum:

If I could only have two CF rifles what would they be:

.243win & .270win

6.5 & 30-06

.270win & 30-06

Choices, choices....

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

270WIN wrote: »
    I've no interest in target shooting...only vermin and deer. I shoot a few reds and fallow..not many 3 or 4 a year. Foxes and scald crows. I dont get enough use for 2 rifles and was thinking of trading them for just one..dont know what to do really!! I had a 243 years ago but never shot a red with it.

i'm in a simlair position myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Don't have one myself , but would a 25.06 be a good all-rounder

Advertisement