Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on US preclearance

Options
  • 17-05-2018 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi we are looking to book flights to Orlando next year. The best value seem to be flying with air Canada via Toronto but we were wondering when does US clearance take place. Last year we did preclearance in Dublin but I presume we won't get that when our first stop is Canada.
    I'm thinking it's when we land in Orlando because we only have 2 hours to change flights in Canada.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Yes it will be when you land in Orlando.

It's years since I done passport control in the US, preclearence in Dublin makes the journey so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

You will also need visa waiver from Canada. Something I only discovered when getting to Dub airport.
    Applied online and got mine before check in. Other passenger not so lucky and had to be rescheduled on flight 24hrs later.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

HDMI wrote: »

It's years since I done passport control in the US, preclearence in Dublin makes the journey so much easier.
    In the past year I've done preclearance twice and immigration in the states three times (twice Miami, once JFK). There's not that much in it. Either one can have long lines and take significantly longer than the other, just depends on the day.

You just tend to forget the queues quicker if they're at the start of your trip. Most of my visits have been connecting elsewhere so doesn't matter too much either way.

There is one lad working at preclearance in Dublin who is a complete arsehole though. Was incredibly rude to my non-native English speaking girlfriend about her imperfect English. But you'll get that with US officials regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

HDMI wrote: »

Toronto has pre-clearence as well, so it will be done there.

As others have pointed out, a valid ETA is required to transit through Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Toronto has pre-clearence as well, so it will be done there.

Is it a quick process in Canada we only have 2hrs between flights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

fennor72 wrote: »
    Is it a quick process in Canada we only have 2hrs between flights

It's exactly the same process as everywhere else. 2 hours should be plenty of time in any case.

Advertisement