Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I teach a subject I have not done for leaving cert?

Options
  • 17-05-2018 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

In the future I am planning to become a secondary school teacher in a particular subject.
    Thing is I have not done that subject for leaving cert and that subject is history.

Would this reduce my chances of teaching History and becoming a history teacher?
    Or does it all depend on what courses I decide to do in college?

(Any extra information would be appreciated)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If you can study history at university you will be able to teach it after your teaching masters. Not sure if you would get onto a history degree course without having it at leaving cert level, maybe check with your chosen colleges to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

DB, no-one will care or even think to look whether you did history at LC once you have a good history degree under your belt ... that is the issue both for teacher registration and when applying for jobs.
    Not sure if you would get onto a history degree course without having it at leaving cert level, maybe check with your chosen colleges to find out.
    Yes, you can. It can be an advantage in some ways, as history is taught quite differently at university level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I did History at university without having done it for the Leaving. A sizeable part of my class were in the same boat. Made no difference to how we got on.

Advertisement