Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Skyrim and Shadow of war hard to get into

Options
  • 17-05-2018 8:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭

I dunno what it is, just not feeling it with these 2 games and this is from someone that's completed DS3 countless times, DS2 twice and DS1 twice and the witcher 3 plus all dlcs twice. Been through bloodborne and all 3 dlcs 3 times too. Which do you think I should perservere with first, both will take a back burner when DS remastered comes out. To add I've finished breath of the wild aswell and I'm on the last boss of God of war

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

Sounds like you've got open world burnout! The Tomb Raider reboots are good old fashioned linear fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭thetimeisnow

Sight808 wrote: »
    Sounds like you've got open world burnout! The Tomb Raider reboots are good old fashioned linear fun.

Finished that too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Have you played Nioh? that's similar to DS series, also have you played witcher 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

How about Doki Doki Literature Club?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I dunno what it is, just not feeling it with these 2 games and this is from someone that's completed DS3 countless times, DS2 twice and DS1 twice and the witcher 3 plus all dlcs twice. Been through bloodborne and all 3 dlcs 3 times too. Which do you think I should perservere with first, both will take a back burner when DS remastered comes out. To add I've finished breath of the wild aswell and I'm on the last boss of God of war

The Dark Souls series are nothing like Skyrim, not sure why you'd even compare them.
    Maybe those Open world fantasy environments with pretty bad stories aren't your thing ?

From God of War/Souls ....move onto Nioh or Hellblade or something that you know you'd like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah if you love soulsbourne, Nioh or Monster hunter world would be the next games to hit. Both rich in content and challenging for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah probably RPG burnout
    I try and mix it up after an RPG I might try an FPS or RTS before getting straight back into a 100+ hour time sink RPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You know what, Shadow of War and Skyrim just aren't all that great, especially in comparison to the games you mention which far out class them. Might be worth taking a break and coming back to them or just playing something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I found Shadow of war decidedly meh, but I plugged away at it and ended up finishing it. It suffers from sequel bloat imo, the fortress assaults are cool set pieces, but once you've seen one, you've seen them all, and they don't really add anything of substance.

However - I do feel that the story ended very strongly, and actually turned me around on the game significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah probably RPG burnout
    I try and mix it up after an RPG I might try an FPS or RTS before getting straight back into a 100+ hour time sink RPG

I can recommend Doom for fps.. Its a masterpiece and a great antidote to swinging a sword..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

As Big Phil said Doom is a great game. If you want to keep the RPG feel going then the newer Deus Ex is good enough to sink a few hours away on. It is fairly cheap these days. I got it for 7 euro on an xbox one store sale.

I have been looking for a new RPG myself but I can safely say technomancer and the surge are not worth it. I got them in the same sale as Deus ex but they both suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

OSI wrote: »
    Always found Skyrim an abjectly poor game myself.

*ducks for cover*

To be fair it was great back when it came out but its too old. No amount of mods will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

As mentioned Nioh is right up your alley by the sounds of it.
    Fallout 4 could be worth a shout also, i didnt stick with the building malarky but some people enjoyed that aspect of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I would suggest steering well clear of Fallout 4. I'd go so far as to say it's a very poor game. They took a great RPG series and managed to turn it into a Farcry clone, and a crap one at that. Probably the most overrated game of the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

As your gaming Doctor, i suggest the following

Diagnose: RPG burnout (Level100)

Solution: gaming switch

Either a dose of Civ /Stellaris

Or

Blow stuff up Doom / Wolfenstein 2

Also recommend you pre order and then play Jurassic Park Evolution when released.

Symptoms should subside after 6 to 7 weeks.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

OSI wrote: »
    Always found Skyrim an abjectly poor game myself.

*ducks for cover*

Nah it's fair, I have a love/hate relationship with Skyrim.

I love the idea of the game far, far more than the actual game itself, which I often found myself hating.

Bethesda get away with an awful amount of trash and poor game design, which EA or Ubisoft would be absolutely slammed for.

A game shouldn't need to be modded to oblivion (hah) in order to be a good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

Rory28 wrote: »
    To be fair it was great back when it came out
    This ^^ hasn't aged well and not tempted to play it again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I loved Oblivion, played the crap out of it....but just cannot get into Skyrim ,even though I love games with snowy mountain terrain.

If I had to pick one potential reason....combat is woeful as played Demon Souls (and maybe Dark Souls) in the intervening time between them....real eye opener of how dull Elder Scrolls combat is most of the time.

Not played Shadows of War but did play Shads of Mordor...pretty mediocre, the bland as hell map didnt help. But would imagine SoW will have the same boring Assassins Creed mechanics again and again "oh look, this guard is walking right past this bush I can hide in...how convenient"

Its just these games are so iterative of their respective genres its easy to get burned out on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Last time I tried to play Skyrim it wouldn't even run properly. Something to do with framerate breaking the physics engine so I couldn't even get past the intro (the horse and cart physics used to be all over the place and broke whatever triggers were required to move the the intro along.

I have Nioh and it frustrates me . I cant get the knack of the Ki Pulse thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

How about Doki Doki Literature Club?

There's always one... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I would suggest steering well clear of Fallout 4. I'd go so far as to say it's a very poor game. They took a great RPG series and managed to turn it into a Farcry clone, and a crap one at that. Probably the most overrated game of the last 5 years.
    I had a tonne of fun playing it, BUT... it was the only game I had played since GTAIV came out (with the two exceptions of GTAV and Mad Max). When I built my own PC I first played MSGV and Witcher 3 then bought Fallout 4 again with the DLC Stuff that wasn't previously on there, and I have to admit it bored me to tears. It just really seems quite aged by comparison and to be noticeably missing something hard to put my finger on that was in the other two games, maybe a notable passion/trademark/etc to put it's own 'stamp' on be identifiable (MSGV probably being stealth gameplay, Witcher 3 being story and the ability to impact the world around you significantly)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Playing Fallout 4 months after the Witcher 3 was sad tbh. It showed how much Bethesda rested on their laurels & how out of date it felt on date one. People talk about Telltale needing a new engine but if Bethesda don't do ES VI or Starfield in a new engine it may finally catch up on them in terms of public reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Playing Fallout 4 months after the Witcher 3 was sad tbh. It showed how much Bethesda rested on their yannys & how out of date it felt on date one. People talk about Telltale needing a new engine but if Bethesda don't do ES VI or Starfield in a new engine it may finally catch up on them in terms of public reaction.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I'd say witcher 3 would be worth a shot.
    Probably get it with the expansions handy enough now.

A lot of patches since release as well and they have ironed out a lot of the gripes (not that there were huge amounts) that people had at launch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Retr0gamer wrote:
    You know what, Shadow of War and Skyrim just aren't all that great, especially in comparison to the games you mention which far out class them. Might be worth taking a break and coming back to them or just playing something else.

I'd agree with this, sometimes you need a break from huge open world games.

That being said even though I never fully liked Skyrim I've bought the damn thing 3 times, once on ps3 then on ps4 and then again for vr.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I'd say witcher 3 would be worth a shot.
    Probably get it with the expansions handy enough now.

A lot of patches since release as well and they have ironed out a lot of the gripes (not that there were huge amounts) that people had at launch

LOL , did you not read my original post. I have finished it twice, It one of my favourite games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I have Nioh and it frustrates me . I cant get the knack of the Ki Pulse thing

You dont really need to get the hang of it to be honest, except to get rid of the crap on the ground. In which case attack, wait one second and then pulse, easy.

I'm baffled if thats the reason you didnt continue with it to be honest :confused:

nix wrote: »
    You dont really need to get the hang of it to be honest, except to get rid of the crap on the ground. In which case attack, wait one second and then pulse, easy.

I'm baffled if thats the reason you didnt continue with it to be honest :confused:

I got to the Ocean roars again area and couldn't go any further, found it too hard

• Advertisement
Advertisement