Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Drivetrain Upgrade

Options
  • 17-05-2018 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 2013 carbon road bike with 10 speed Ultegra which I really like.
    The frame is in perfect condition and it is very light but after 32,000km the drivetrain is showing its age.
    I want to replace it and I am seeking advice on the following options:
    Option 1: Fit a new 10 speed Ultegra
    Option 2: Upgrade to 11 speed Ultegra
    Option 3: Upgrade to 11 speed Ultegra Di2

Is there much difference between 10 and 11 speed Ultegra or is Di2 the way to go?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rayman1 wrote: »
    ... but after 32,000km the drivetrain is showing its age.
    I want to replace it....
    I'm a bit confused! The drivetrain components need to be replaced periodically anyway (chain, cassette, chainrings, bottom bracket etc.) and with 32,000 on it I presume you have done so multiple times. Why not continue doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I'm a bit confused! The drivetrain components need to be replaced periodically anyway (chain, cassette, chainrings, bottom bracket etc.) and with 32,000 on it I presume you have done so multiple times. Why not continue doing so?

Yes, of course I have replaced everything above (except the chainrings) several times.
    I am just wondering is 11 speed noticeably better than 10 speed and should I upgrade to 11 speed rather than just replacing the 10 speed components as they wear out.
    I am sort of thinking that with a new drivetrain it would be like a new bike!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, of course I have replaced everything above (except the chainrings) several times.
    I am just wondering is 11 speed noticeably better than 10 speed and should I upgrade to 11 speed rather than just replacing the 10 speed components as they wear out.
    I am sort of thinking that with a new drivetrain it would be like a new bike!!
    11 speed just gives closer ratios but the lowest and highest gears remain the same (i.e. on the same size of cassette). Many would argue that it's just a marketing ploy to make you part with your money!

It will feel like a new bike for a while but that will wear off pretty quickly and, to me. it would seem like throwing good money after bad. ,

PS - how did you get to 32.000 on the same chainring/s. I usually have to change the big ring after every 3rd chain. Otherwise it begins to slip. (Never had to change a small ring though - one of my bikes is on 56,000 on the original small ring).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting - i heard the rule of thumb was to replace the cassette every third chain, and to replace chainrings every third cassette?

PS - how did you get to 32.000 on the same chainring/s. I usually have to change the big ring after every 3rd chain. Otherwise it begins to slip. (Never had to change a small ring though - one of my bikes is on 56,000 on the original small ring).

I don't have any problem with the chainrings. Definitely no slipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Rule out 10 speed, parts getting harder to find and situation will only get worse over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If you really want to go for the new bike feel, then you really have to go Di2. As already mentioned, 10 speed parts will become harder to get and there’s no noticeable difference between 10 and 11 speed.
    I recently upgraded a triple sora 9 speed to a compact (mainly) Ultegra 10 speed and that has elevated that no.3 bike to no.2 in my fleet, but it’s nowhere near as good as my Di2 no.1 machine.
    You could always carry on as you are with replacing parts as required, but as it’s now Friday the only real answer is a new bike (as it actually is any other day as well really)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Hi,

I have a 2013 carbon road bike with 10 speed Ultegra which I really like.
    The frame is in perfect condition and it is very light but after 32,000km the drivetrain is showing its age.
    I want to replace it and I am seeking advice on the following options:
    Option 1: Fit a new 10 speed Ultegra
    Option 2: Upgrade to 11 speed Ultegra
    Option 3: Upgrade to 11 speed Ultegra Di2

Is there much difference between 10 and 11 speed Ultegra or is Di2 the way to go?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Is your frame di2 ready, if so then he new ultegra di2 group set is a great upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Either get the latest mechanical R8000 ultegra which I believe is excellent or di2

The di2 will be a game changer compared to what you have

I’m running the new di2 and the buttons on top of the hoods are great to use . Had some teething issues with set up initially though

Having said all that I used a slick well set up mechanical groupset on a test ride bike the other day and it was superb .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

boege wrote: »
    Rule out 10 speed, parts getting harder to find and situation will only get worse over time.
    Which 10sp parts are hard to find?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Lumen wrote: »
    Which 10sp parts are hard to find?

New shifters compatible with 6700 rear derailleur wouldn't be easy to get outside of trawlings ebay and the like. 4700 is standalone, for that very reason I would think; to force the upgrade.

If your shifters work keep them, fit new quality ss cables and replace rd/fd if needed. I picked up a NOS 7800 and at current rate of cycling it should nearly see me out!
    One of the main driver for electrical shifting was mechanical went to sh1te after they buried cables under bar tape along with internal routing.

Good discussion here on di2
    https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=107971.0

Don't get into a row with Brucey; his technical knowledge of bicycles is quite something

Is your frame di2 ready, if so then he new ultegra di2 group set is a great upgrade.

Yes, my frame is di2 ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭maldondo

I'd continue replacing parts as they wear out. With the amount of Ultegra 10 speed gear out there you won't have a problem. I have a 10 speed group there myself in a box that I'm going to put on a new Aero frame (when the missus isn't looking).

Of course... you will still need that new bike! The fact that you have posted the question in the first place necessitates the new bike (Its the rules).

Personally, I would upgrade it to 105 for around €500 and put the €1000 you've saved on the ultegra Di2 towards a new bike when the end of year sales start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Yes, my frame is di2 ready.

Then I'd go with the di2 upgrade as you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Aegir wrote:
    Personally, I would upgrade it to 105 for around €500 and put the €1000 you've saved on the ultegra Di2 towards a new bike when the end of year sales start.

Ultegra 6800 11sp groupset is only 560 in CRC 

Advertisement