Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nursing home support scheme query

• 17-05-2018 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    My mum is in a nursing home and under the nursing homes support scheme since 2015.
    I wonder if someone can help to explain how two cash transfers made in 2010 and 2011 are still been used to calculate her weekly contributions.
    Does anyone know if they can still include these cash transfers for as long as my mum is under the scheme?
    Or do we have grounds to appeal this? On the basis that the money was long gone before she got sick and we are now in 2018.
    As we are getting worried that soon there will be no money left and we will have to sell her share of the farm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Sheba45 wrote: »
    Hi,
    My mum is in a nursing home and under the nursing homes support scheme since 2015.
    I wonder if someone can help to explain how two cash transfers made in 2010 and 2011 are still been used to calculate her weekly contributions.
    Does anyone know if they can still include these cash transfers for as long as my mum is under the scheme?
    Or do we have grounds to appeal this? On the basis that the money was long gone before she got sick and we are now in 2018.
    As we are getting worried that soon there will be no money left and we will have to sell her share of the farm.
    If your mam deprives herself of an asset in the 5 years preceding her entry to the scheme, that asset will be considered as if she still has it and will be charged at 7.5% of the asset per annum until the asset value is expended.

There's various review procedures in the scheme and you should contact the nursing home support scheme office to discuss further. However, my understanding of the scheme is that you are unlikely to get a positive outcome given the rules of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sheba45

Thanks Uriel for your reply.
    I have one more query if I may.
    Just wondering if anyone has gone down the road of arguing that cash assets transferred are long gone. And if so what was the outcome.
    Is there a difference between cash assets transferred to someone or cash assets transferred to another account?
    I have heard both of these been mentioned and was wondering do either change the outcome with regard to the schemes’ financial review.
    My mum saved all her life and in the end she would have been better if she spent it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Sheba45 wrote: »
    Thanks Uriel for your reply.
    I have one more query if I may.
    Just wondering if anyone has gone down the road of arguing that cash assets transferred are long gone. And if so what was the outcome.
    Is there a difference between cash assets transferred to someone or cash assets transferred to another account?
    I have heard both of these been mentioned and was wondering do either change the outcome with regard to the schemes’ financial review.
    My mum saved all her life and in the end she would have been better if she spent it all.

There's no difference between cash assets transferred to another person versus cash assets transferred to another account (presuming that the other account is in the applicant's name).

Even if cash assets are long gone, the contribution is based on what you would have had.

Yes, like many things, those who contribute least benefit the most. Of course, though, Fair Deal is not a nursing home scheme it is a financial support scheme and the bottom line will always be why should the tax payer pick up all or most of the tab if a person can afford their own care in full or in part.

You're quite right though, if your mother blew all of her savings 8 years ago on foreign trips etc. she might be no worse off today.

Advertisement