Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem question

Options
  • 18-05-2018 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all,

This seems to be a common opening statement in here but I have a problem with my Eir modem! I also have many, many problems with Eir but that's not so much what this is about. After an 8 month battle with Eir to get their fiber to home broadband into my newbuild the modem now (3 weeks later) refuses to turn on. Its dropped wifi 3 or 4 times already but a quick switch off and back on again has sorted it. This time however, even after resorting to the reset button, nothing. Eir said they'll send a new one in a few days.

My question is, can I buy a new, higher quality modem/router elsewhere, Amazon say and use it in place of Eir's? Would this even solve my problem? I'm not very technically minded and dont understand the workings of such things but I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Yet another unhappy Eir customer.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is this a wifi problem, or have you tried connecting the cable to the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is this a wifi problem, or have you tried connecting the cable to the modem?

Well, there was a wifi problem leading up to this but now the modem simply won't turn on, all cables are connected as they have been since installation. Ive checked for loose connections but their all good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

skittles11 wrote: »
    Well, there was a wifi problem leading up to this but now the modem simply won't turn on, all cables are connected as they have been since installation. Ive checked for loose connections but their all good.

Oh, no life at all? No lights?
    Best contact eir then.

I'm not sure about the procedure with a 3rd party modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

skittles11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

This seems to be a common opening statement in here but I have a problem with my Eir modem! I also have many, many problems with Eir but that's not so much what this is about. After an 8 month battle with Eir to get their fiber to home broadband into my newbuild the modem now (3 weeks later) refuses to turn on. Its dropped wifi 3 or 4 times already but a quick switch off and back on again has sorted it. This time however, even after resorting to the reset button, nothing. Eir said they'll send a new one in a few days.

My question is, can I buy a new, higher quality modem/router elsewhere, Amazon say and use it in place of Eir's? Would this even solve my problem? I'm not very technically minded and dont understand the workings of such things but I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Yet another unhappy Eir customer.

Perhaps it was a bad modem...The new one they send may be fine.Wait and try the replacement modem first
    Yes, A higher quality modem from amazon will work fine with eir if you want to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Thanks. Yeah, I'll wait for the new one from Eir and see how it goes from there. Good to know I can get one if it all goes wrong though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement