Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of terrace vs semi-detached

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People are mixing up modern terrace houses with old council estates.

awec wrote: »
    People are mixing up modern terrace houses with old council estates.

in what way?

in what way?

These issues of kids playing against your wall on a green etc are the problem of big council estates where they’ve nowhere else to play.

In modern developments people’s houses don’t back right into a green, you are no less likely to have these problems in a semi d than in an end terrace.

These issues of kids playing against your wall on a green etc are the problem of big council estates where they’ve nowhere else to play.

In modern developments people’s houses don’t back right into a green, you are no less likely to have these problems in a semi d than in an end terrace.

It wasn't just big council estates. Kids play where they can. End of terraces have nice large side walls, perfect for sitting on, playing ball against and congregating. It could happen in any housing estate- council or otherwise.

The sound of a ball hitting your back garden side wall repeatedly for 3 long months of summer can be as annoying in a private estate as it can be in a council estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

GingerLily wrote:
    Really? I've never seen an EOT without access to the garden. I own an EOT myself.

Well I also live in 1 that doesn't have access nor do any in my estate. New enough estate though

• Advertisement

It wasn't just big council estates. Kids play where they can. End of terraces have nice large side walls, perfect for sitting on, playing ball against and congregating. It could happen in any housing estate- council or otherwise.

The sound of a ball hitting your back garden side wall repeatedly for 3 long months of summer can be as annoying in a private estate as it can be in a council estate.

How does this differ from a semi detached?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Access to back garden. Some terraces don't have a lane way along the back of the house, so no back gate into the garden. This means everything has to come in the front door. Fine for the odd bicycle but can be awkward for bigger items or if trying to do landscaping etc.

totally agree not forgetting the wheelie bins also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

there's a detached house near us and the kids just sit on their wall etc... they are plagued id say

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dude_abided

Wouldn't want to buy a semi/terraced....Too many problem. I like my music as well...

Wouldn't want to buy a semi/terraced....Too many problem. I like my music as well...
    I'm sure if given a realistic choice nobody would buy a semi / terraced.

But a detached house in Dublin and surrounding counties is going to set you back an absolute fortune, and is just not affordable for the majority of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Usually end of terrace House are smaller than semi detached. Otherwise there no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dude_abided

I'm sure if given a realistic choice nobody would buy a semi / terraced.

But a detached house in Dublin and surrounding counties is going to set you back an absolute fortune, and is just not affordable for the majority of people.

Still some for around 200k prob in Tallaght etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Still some for around 200k prob in Tallaght etc?

For good reason

If you can buy a detached house in Dublin for 200k then either:

1. The house is a complete kip
    2. The area is very dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jon1981 wrote: »
    One thing to keep in mind if there is another house beside the end of terrace, if your neighbour puts in for planning they can potentially extend to the side making your end of terrace a terraced house. Happened to neighbours of ours.

Only possible if the neighbours have already extended to their side of their plot

My estate has a road of "semi detached" houses which is actually a 20 house terrace - they were always attached via garages. More than half have built above the garage and in cases where both have they are indistinguisable from a terrace.

Everyone still sells them as semi detached.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

L1011 wrote: »
    Only possible if the neighbours have already extended to their side of their plot

My estate has a road of "semi detached" houses which is actually a 20 house terrace - they were always attached via garages. More than half have built above the garage and in cases where both have they are indistinguisable from a terrace.

Everyone still sells them as semi detached.

Yeah same on the street I grew up on but there are differences. Many retained their garage and still have access to the back garden. Tends only to be bedrooms added which in general are not that noisy.
    Where I live now there is real weird mix in the terrace design. They are very random with the garages and how the terrace is broken up. Some house have no garage and are mid-terrace then one has a garage but the next one doesn't then there are two garages together. Some people extended over the garages many didn't but extended their kitchen into the garage. The problem is the garages are very narrow so modern cars can't really fit so they are just storage. Not a bad size for a room when converted. The kitchens were small at 9x7foot but functional so the garages as a kitchen extension makes sense. The main thing is noise and back garden access. The terrace have a lane and the garages don't is how it breaks down so it is thought out in the back but from the front it makes no sense. The terrace houses with not garage at the front have one at the back which is big enough for modern cars.
    The things is you really have to look around at the exact house you are buying because there are all these little details that change everything and it depends on what you want.

Advertisement