Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems in new position

Options
  • 18-05-2018 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have just started a new job and I am facing a few problems where I would appreciate other people’s thoughts.

The position is part-time as I have been running my own business in another field for a long time but am flexible to reduce hours there as needed. The new job is in an area that I have been involved in all my life and also had been volunteering in for the past 2 to 3 years.
    I am very much overqualified for the position but am passionate about the work and was looking to gain further practical experience in that sector.

It turns out that my supervisor will be covering another senior position from the beginning of next month. Now, I have been told by management that I am meant to cover his duties while he is covering the other position which he is not happy about. And he has been showing this to me from minute one… being very rude and generally unhelpful, not giving me an induction which he was supposed to. (It is the organisation that I had been volunteering with before and I was generally aware that there could be issues as his personality tends to feel threatened by qualified and skilled people but I was not expecting THIS...).

My other problem is that me covering him is kind of “inofficial”. I am meant to cover him and take on his responsibilities and he and management know, but officially this is not announced. Also, I am only on a part-time contract, and my payment will not be raised whereas I know that his is being adjusted for covering the more senior position. On top, I have not been getting any induction so far, neither for the job I am doing now nor for the additional duties I am meant to cover (as I was volunteering there before it was easy to find my feet in the current position with the help of colleagues…but still…).

I just feel I am getting a bad deal; my experience, skills and qualification being used without giving back, and I do not only mean monetary but in terms of support and providing information that are necessary to properly fulfill the tasks. With the lack of support in terms of induction, communication and information, as well as access to other people and resources which this role usually involves I feel I am being set up for failure and making mistakes that I should not make because I am not informed about certain (internal) things and processes which I should know…

Any ideas?

Advertisement