Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with people at work

Options
  • 18-05-2018 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

*MOD PLEASE DELETE*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Delete the name of the company OP, you are very easily identified right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

If it's sleep your after then it's probably best to remove the company name and location from your post

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Btwin

Thanks ..noob here 😓

As for your question, if anyone asks just say that you need to make it fair for everyone and that's it. If they have a problem with doing a specific task they can take it up with management.

Obviously make sure you are making it fair for everyone.

Thats what i usually do but some people lack understanding..im affraid to go to my manager as i want to show him that i can handle such a responsibility and pressure

• Advertisement

You will always get people bitching at you for making decisions like this. It's time to start developing a thick skin in dealing with the moaners if you want to progress further which it sounds like you certainly do.

I don't know how far out you can plan this or if it's something that changes day to day but issuing a roster for it earlier may help in showing that everyone is having their fair share of the crap jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Company name still in there, 3rd sentence. Like others said better remove it especially as it doesn't even help with your question.

You're in a tough position. You're younger and not above them in the hierarchy.
    Best piece of advice is try to be fair and reasonable. Don't abuse your power. Sounds big but what I mean is don't treat someone you like better than someone you dont like. Be a good guy, but dont be a pushover either. Don't let anyone take advantage of you or pressure you, they will try. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do although it will not make you friends.
    This is a challenge and will show if you're cut out for this. Good luck with it. You seems to have a feel for the responsibility that comes with it, that's a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

The above post has good advice and something I wish I was better at when I was in a similar situation like yours.
    Think of this as being a not so nice job as you described in the warehouse, become good at it.
    Never expect to be liked whilst getting ahead, but ensure you are fair and firm to ensure they do their job.See if there is training available to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Btwin wrote: »
    Hello everyone.. I work for a distribution company for 2 years now and i have advanced a lot very fast. I have trainings in almost all areas. Im only 24 and many people have worked longer than me in the company and have advanced much less than me. I really work hard and i am ambitious but many people seem not to like me as i have a better position within the company then most of the older staff. Recently i have been chosen to do the job rotation for my shift (about 85 people). We have many different jobs in the warehouse; some better ones like receiving, pallet arrangement (those are not time measured) and some worse jobs like forks, loading or voice picking (all time measured), picking being the most disliked one. Now im in a position to decide who will do which job every day of the week. Im trying to do a fair rotaition so that everybody has a little bit of everything and i know its impossible to make 85 people happy every day but some people have been putting a lot of pressure on me to give them better jobs and i dont know how to cope with this. Many of them are much older and more experienced and i just dont know how to deal with them as i am not their supervisor, i am the same hierarchy level as them. So im uncomfortable saying anything to them so i usually end up caving..its been bothering me at home as well and i cannot get proper sleep..so help please!!

It's a tricky one alright. Can you devise a list that splits all the tasks equally amongst everyone, and then let them agree swaps amongst each other for anyone who wants a change? At least then it puts the onus on them to take ownership of their own rotation rather than blaming you for what you imposed on them.

Definitely avoid being seen to be playing favourites though.For every one person you please by giving them a favourable rotation, you'll have a handful more who are left irritated and it will just encourage more pressure on yourself in future if people see that it's beneficial to pester you for better tasks to do.

Thanks everybody for great advice..i feel much better now. I will delete the thread just in case :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Be careful that you are being polite and professional in your dealings you cant be best buds if your transiting into management. As for the not liking you, in a large company irrespestive of anything you do or say, not everyone will like you. If you are ambitious and work hard and advancing this may cause resentment. But your are 24 and ambitious and are only learning to handle people and the responsibility. Plus you dont have the authority or position of a supervisor. You are going to make mistakes and need to rely on the mangers more.
    Btwin wrote: »
    Thats what i usually do but some people lack understanding..im affraid to go to my manager as i want to show him that i can handle such a responsibility and pressure

Managers manage, that their job, and you are not a manager yet.
    If your only starting off doing rosters then they should be presented to your manager, as the person who assigned you the preparation task, for sign off and approval before they are circulated to the general staff.

The manager may be aware of a staffing issue for an individual staff member that you have not been informed of which could impact how that staff member should be rostered.

It also allows the manager to support your development, part of learning is not taking on the responsibility and pressure in isolation. If a staff member is objection a preapproved roster and not accepting it, its up to you to make sure the manager is aware of who is objecting and why, what your decision was and allow the manager the chance to overrule you. This does not have to be a formal meeting, just a is simple line of detail followed by a Q "was that ok?".

You need to discuss how you should handle the change requesters with your the manager there is no advantage to you to ignore them as a source of training and ignite discontent among the other staff by allowing movements without management support.

Advertisement