Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 FA Cup Final - Chelsea vs Manchester Utd - 18/05 @ 17:15 - BBC, BT, TV3

• 18-05-2018 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The showpiece finale to the domestic season features two teams that have had disappointing seasons for varying reasons.

United started the season scoring goals for fun but as the season progressed performances dipped and while United improved their points tally on last year by 12 and the final standings by 4 spots, the feeling among United fans in general is that next season will be make or break for Jose and that the standard of football must improve. Throw in a humbling exit from the champions league and the pressure is really on the manager voted least likely to kick a puppy.

Chelsea have had a down turn of a whopping 23 points on last years and gone back 4 places in the league. Conte fired shots at Jose last summer when exclaiming that he wished to avoid having "a Mourinho season", a statement which has blown up in his face spectacularly. Conte will surely be out the door after the final whistle, regardless of the result, so one has to assume that he would love it, LOVE IT, to get one over on Jose before his exit.

Jose boasts a very impressive record of 12 out of 14 victories in cup finals so United must be bookies favourites however Chelsea are a dangerous outfit and if they show the same kind of resilience shown by Contes hairline then they will undoubtedly be in with more than a shout.

Prediction

3-1 to Nice Guy Jose's charges.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

If Utd. go for it from the start and stop sitting back waiting for things to happen, they should win this comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Relikk wrote: »
    If Utd. go for it from the start and stop sitting back waiting for things to happen, they should win this comfortably.

This will never happen. For this game to be interesting Chelsea need to score first so United have to actually play football

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Depends on which Chelsea show up really. You know what you're going to get from United. Game probably needs an early Chelsea goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

2018 version of Chelsea to show up and try and defend for 90 minutes and lose 4 - 1.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

dfx- wrote: »
    You know what you're going to get from United.

You really don't.

United have demonstrated numerous times this season that they can turn up and play absolute dog****e, like a team of players that only met yesterday and went out on the beer to celebrate new friends. It has happened in big games and small games alike, against relegation strugglers, against big rivals, in vital Champions league knockout games and in dead rubber end of season games. It happens again and again.

Yet their record against the top six is very good and they are also well capable of beating anybody.

United have the beating of Chelsea but they also have history for not performing at the most random of times. If there is one side where you don't know what is going to turn up its United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think United will win this without having to do much at all. They’ll sit back, defend deep and pick of Chelsea who look like a team that stopped caring six months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I see this being a tight game, settled by a goal. I feel it's a tough one to call. It would be particularly welcome to see Sanchez step up in this competition once again and decide it with a bit of magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

United to win.
    Business cat started the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Anyone think Morata will start. Been absolutely woeful most of the season if not all.
    Why Conte doesnt have Giroud up front in nearly all ganes is baffling, imo he's a cracking CF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It would be wonderful if utd lost as they are utd. Anyway less about this match how about that champions league final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Thankfully this can go to penalties otherwise it could ben nil-nil forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I support Liverpool but that comment from Niallo27 is completely pointless and contributes nothing to the thread or the forum. Wish there was less shìte like that (from all supporters).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Be pretty shocked if United didn't win this, Chelsea have been really poor.

• Come on Utd, gonna be close

The nerves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

No nerves, possibly due to the hangover. No idea which united will turn up or which Chelsea will turn up.

Either team perfectly capable of winning or ****ting the bed.

Looking forward to it all the same :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think it’ll be a handy enough win for United. Chelsea players are in ‘let’s get the manager sacked’ mode and the likes of Hazard and Courtois will be more focused on the World Cup and their summer moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Think it’ll be a handy enough win for United. Chelsea players are in ‘let’s get the manager sacked’ mode and the likes of Hazard and Courtois will be more focused on the World Cup and their summer moves.

The manager is in the let's get the manager sacked mode too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,580 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hmm yeah nice payoff if Conte gets his P45, nothing if he resigns*...

* yes I know you still get a P45 if you resign, it's a euphemism for the sack... :)

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Conte is gone either way if he wins or loses. Be interesting to see how Chelsea set up. They need a big performance from Giroud to get the win i feel. He and Hazard are very good together when both on form. United need to get to grips in midfield if they are to win this game.

Dont think this game will be pretty at all and i would not be surprised to see extra-time or even penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Can't see past United. Mourinho will have them fighting like their lifes depend on it. Conte looks to be fishing for a pay off, can't see Chelsea being particularly up for the FA Cup.

That said, nobody gave arsenal a chance last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

What’s the reasoning behind the tea time kickoffs for FA Cup finals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What’s the reasoning behind the tea time kickoffs for FA Cup finals?

Bigger tv audience potential one would assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

SM01 wrote: »
    I support Liverpool but that comment from Niallo27 is completely pointless and contributes nothing to the thread or the forum. Wish there was less sh like that (from all supporters).

It was quiet obviously a joke. Sad state of affairs when people are more interested in the report button than a bit of humour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I hope one team wins and the other team loses as I don't support either team I'm not bothered which wins or loses.

Although I wish both teams could lose.

The only winner today is Harry having his wedding night with Meghan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The only winner today is Harry having his wedding night with Meghan.

One really enjoys ones time in the royal box.

• Any word on injury status of Lukaku?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Any word on injury status of Lukaku?

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/997833113035264000

Sounds like Rashford for Lukaku could be the only change to the United team from the FA Cup semi-final XI. #mufc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm actually debating whether I'll watch this. Two teams that I'd like to see lose should be a winner and yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Rashford instead of Martial/Lukaku

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

I'm actually debating whether I'll watch this. Two teams that I'd like to see lose should be a winner and yet....

Head outside for a walk, it's a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

LiamoSail wrote: »
    SM01 wrote: »
    I support Liverpool but that comment from Niallo27 is completely pointless and contributes nothing to the thread or the forum. Wish there was less sh like that (from all supporters).

It was quiet obviously a joke. Sad state of affairs when people are more interested in the report button than a bit of humour

I didn't report it if that's what you're insinuating. It's just pointless, not funny, maybe mildly irritating because it throws yet another thread off topic again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I didn't report it either, but when the poster in question has history of such comments then its no surprise to see action taken.

I see Rashford is reported to be starting up front. Shame Lukaku isn't fully fit but I would rather have Rashford than Martial playing, we could do without a Martial disappearing act today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Head outside for a walk, it's a nice day.

Been outside all week - it's my job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Much more nervous about this since finding out Lukaku isn't starting. I think this will be a tense game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Nice tribute to Wilkins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Comfy win for Utd is all i can see in this,probably be a complete bore fest unless Chelsea manage to go 2 up(unlikely). 1-0 utd and another professional job done by Jose. The one and only Phil Jones for MOM

As usual,the corporate seats only being occupied at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Seems to be a lot of empty seats for a cup final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

This will be a bore, to pass defend pass.

This will be a bore, to pass defend pass.

Why watch something you think will bore you :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Herrera should have had a yellow in the frist minute. Ref bottled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Conor Mcnamara's commentary is like a kid playing PRO Evo and putting on an exaggerated robotic commentary voice. His obsession with throwing in as many past facts and stats in completely overrides actual commentary on the game itself.

Midfield is like a Tokyo railway station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Garzorico wrote: »
    Herrera should have had a yellow in the frist minute. Ref bottled it.

Yeah, the ref that sent off Buffon "bottled it". Give me a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's a subbable offence by Jones. What was he thinking?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    That's a subbable offence by Jones. What was he thinking?

That is why Jose is looking for more CB's.

Yeah, the ref that sent off Buffon "bottled it". Give me a break.

Past performance is not an necessarily indicator of future performance. *Ts&Cs apply.

Lost without Lukaku, no idea how to create a chance without knocking it into the big guy. Crossing to Lingard?

Bottled a penalty there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Garzorico wrote: »
    Bottled a penalty there too.

Make that two ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement