Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage & House-related expenses

Options
  • 18-05-2018 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm thinking about getting a mortgage but the closer I get, the more scared I become. Mortgage repayments seem to be one of many house-related expenses... I have identified the following:
    mortgage protection/life insurance €300
    house insurance €350
    tv licence €150
    local property tax €330

Could you add to/ amend the list?
    When I add electricity, oil, medical insurance, pension, holidays, cost of living... It gets pretty scary if you just have an ordinary job...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

wowey wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting a mortgage but the closer I get, the more scared I become. Mortgage repayments seem to be one of many house-related expenses... I have identified the following:
    house insurance €350
    tv licence €150
    local property tax €330

When I add electricity, oil, medical insurance, pension, holidays, cost of living... It gets pretty scary if you just have an ordinary job...

These are the main ones I am paying:
    Building insurance
    Contents insurance
    Life insurance
    Liability insurance
    Yearly services (our heating system, and air ventilation system are serviced every year)
    Bins
    TV License
    Property Tax
    Electricity
    Internet
    Different TV Services (Sky, netflix, prime, etc)
    Water
    Heating
    Estate maintenance fees

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

house insurance €350
    tv licence €150
    local property tax €330

Jester has pretty much provided a complete list but I would also add a contingency. There should be a pot of money built up to pay for unforeseen expenses, like a boiler replacement, washing machine replacement etc etc.

Owning a house is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Askthe EA wrote: »
    house insurance €350
    tv licence €150
    local property tax €330

Jester has pretty much provided a complete list but I would also add a contingency. There should be a pot of money built up to pay for unforeseen expenses, like a boiler replacement, washing machine replacement etc etc.

Owning a house is expensive.

Very True it is expensive. Speak to a tenant they will be able to tell break it down for you how a landlord can do it and make a hugh profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Very True it is expensive. Speak to a tenant they will be able to tell break it down for you how a landlord can do it and make a hugh profit.

Is that sarcasm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

AA do a pretty good analysis of this every year (what it has to do with automobiles I've no idea).

http://www.theaa.ie/blog/cost-of-running-a-home/ they have download link to the list.

They work out that the average cost of running a house is 16k a year, now that includes mortgage payments of 9,866 per year so your may well differ +/-.
    It also doesn't include groceries which will be a few hundred a month.

Its by no means a completely accurate list but it is a good starting point to try get a ballpark of you expenses, I used it myself recently when trying to work out our budget for a mortgage and found it useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

house insurance €350
    tv licence €150
    local property tax €330

Bins
    Electricity
    Oil/gas
    Flooring/curtains/painting/Windows etc generally we do 1 a year

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wowey

I have to say the house itself is the cheapest item of it all! Quite shocking for someone who had nothing to do with housing market before. That's when all the stress begins I guess.

Advertisement