Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler trackers

Options
  • 18-05-2018 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭

I have twins, recently learnt to walk, and have a tendency to go in opposite directions at every opportunity.

Is there a GPS tracker I can buy to keep an eye on them in case they every get out of sight?

Thinking there must be some fob type thing I could put in their coat pockets, then worst case scenario, open an iPhone app, and see that there over there.

Anyone got any experience of something like that? Any reviews?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

You can get them to put around your pets’ collars. Could try one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The tile is a cheapish option which is small and easy to conceal, but you would either need your child to be within range of your phone for it to work, or someone who also has the app would need to be in range of it.

I don't know how popular they are in Ireland to make it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

You can get them to put around your pets’ collars. Could try one of those?

If it's only for round the house what about one of the pet collars that give a small electric shock?
    One way of keeping them in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jester77 wrote: »
    The tile is a cheapish option which is small and easy to conceal, but you would either need your child to be within range of your phone for it to work, or someone who also has the app would need to be in range of it.

I don't know how popular they are in Ireland to make it useful.

Might just work in NY or SF. Definitely not popular enough here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I don't think there really are many products like that.
    Honestly, a set of reins each and a very firm approach to when they must be in the buggy is your best bet.It's what I've seen most people around me with twins use.It's just how it has to be until they learn to stay close to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

It really depends on how far you want to track.

You can get a bluetooth beacon which you would need to be within a few 100 metres, google BLE beacon. The beacon will communicate with an app on your smartphone.

For longer distances you would need something which is able to upload it's position to the Internet, so this would require you to put a sim card into it (which is usually a service then that you would pay for...).

Or, if you happen to have 2 iphones hanging about you could just activate find-my-iphone on them and sew them into their clothes somehow (-:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'd chip my children if I could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What good is a GPS tracker if your child has fallen into a river, or is gone out onto the road? The risk here is that they will come to harm by becoming separated from you... and it won't be anywhere near sensitive enough to do any good in those situations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They shouldn't be rambling away from you. Looking for tech as an answer just means you are less likely to be firm on them. A GPS tracker is no use when you're looking for a kid in the same building as you. It's not like they've gone for a hike with some mates and didn't make it home in time for supper.

You need to rethink what you're planning on doing. You shouldn't have answer to your question that are passive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I don't see a connection with the OP's question to any notion that this would then mean that less care would be taken concerning supervision, etc.

OP, the GPS trackers are actually more economical than I had imagined, you can source then for ca 40 Euro (take a google for Incutex Tracker). You will need to put a SIM card in, but you could use a prepaid SIM, basically the tracker will only send it's position (i.e. via a normal SMS text message) when you call it. So you call the tracker (just like calling a normal phone number), and soon as it starts to ring you will get a message with the exact location.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

At that age, a toddler should not be out of sight even for a minute. It takes seconds for them to do something harmful out of sight and not all might manage to scream or cry to alert you in time. Your eyes are the best tech there is.

Use reins when you are anywhere unsecured like streets, too bad if they hate them. The reins can come off in a toddler play area where they can't escape and you can see them at all times, and from this age you can begin to work on rules for being out and about.

Advertisement