Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

privacy options for large pond

Options
  • 18-05-2018 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I would like some input please. I have a large pond at the end of my garden with a view out to countryside on the other side. The far edge of the lake borders my property BUT an adjacent neighbour bizarrely owns a sliver of land extending half way across the far side of the lake between me and beyond.
    There is a line of sight right into my property and home from the far side of the lake AND the neighbour is using it as a dumping ground making it unsightly.
    I am racking my head trying to think of a privacy solution that doesn't involve access to said neighbour's land to erect anything.
    To make matters worse, neighbour also borders me on the left of the pond and farm land on the right. Ideally, I would like a fence right on the pond edge around most of it but I can't think how it can be done. Or perhaps some fast growing grass like rushes etc but the water quality might not support that given farm runoff.
    Anyone ever see a fence erected around a lake/pond from the inside as opposed to from landside ? Some machine with a long arm and grab perhaps like those things for logging.... I haven't been into the water as yet so not sure how sturdy it is underfoot. It's about 2 feet deep.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Firstly report the dumping, what a total ass wipe to be dumping on his property near a lake.

Planting is the only real option, reeds or miscanthus would be the best.

Think about gunnera also as a waterside option where over a short enough time with waterside access they would hit 5-7ft tall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, it might not be *illegal* dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

to be fair, it might not be *illegal* dumping.
    :) I was trying to be PC. It definitely is. Involves combustion, plastic.
    I knew this would flare up (no pun intended), but this isn't what I am asking. I confronted him about it and the worst of it has stopped. I just don't want to look at it or have them getting an eyeful when I'm enjoying my pond. Hope you understand. Thanks though.

_Brian wrote: »
    Firstly report the dumping, what a total ass wipe to be dumping on his property near a lake.

Planting is the only real option, reeds or miscanthus would be the best.

Think about gunnera also as a waterside option where over a short enough time with waterside access they would hit 5-7ft tall.

Thanks for the tip re gunnera, never heard of it, off to research that now (again, no pun intended)... I won't do any reporting at this stage - I'm a blow-in. Will see how it goes.

edit: - only thing with planting is that there's nothing to stop it being cut down by neighbour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing about gunnera is that it's invasive in the west of ireland. i think the winters aren't severe enough to keep it in check, so bear that in mind depending on where you live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would he sell you the strip of land? Would that help? Presumably you have looked very closely at who owns what on Land Direct?

If the environmental people get even a whiff of dumping by water they will have a conniption, its a real no-no.

Had thought of asking him to buy it - that's my best option I think, but pricey.
    I could put it off and save up a few quid.

I contemplated a tough chat with him with a hint of your last point as a bit of a teaser.... I'll say nothing if you sell it to me and I'll clean it up etc etc

edit: plus there's a healthy salmon river within metres the other side of him.
    looksee wrote: »
    Would he sell you the strip of land? Would that help? Presumably you have looked very closely at who owns what on Land Direct?

If the environmental people get even a whiff of dumping by water they will have a conniption, its a real no-no.

I'd need about 30 of those !! It's big enough. Remains of a lake. Maybe 75 metres by 25m.

I would be careful with the hints as they may just but his back up, and if anyone gets reported in the area you will end up the named bad guy

E39MSport wrote: »
    I'd need about 30 of those !! It's big enough. Remains of a lake. Maybe 75 metres by 25m.

If its that big think of putting in a human size water platform, or at least get some plans done up as an excuse to incorporate his strip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would be careful with the hints as they may just but his back up, and if anyone gets reported in the area you will end up the named bad guy

If its that big think of putting in a human size water platform, or at least get some plans done up as an excuse to incorporate his strip.

Bad guy or dirty s*ite pumping into a local river and a lake....

Hmm not sure what my decision would be.

The nod and wink crap stopped a long time ago some people need to be aware of their obligations. The rivers have stock in them and this plank is not helping that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

How about planting some Willow and Alder. Both native and neither mind getting their feet wet. You can pollard/ coppice them to your required height - willow especially will take severe pruning very well.

listermint wrote: »
    Bad guy or dirty s*ite pumping into a local river and a lake....

Hmm not sure what my decision would be.

The nod and wink crap stopped a long time ago some people need to be aware of their obligations. The rivers have stock in them and this plank is not helping that

Too true but do a deal on the land without the blackmail as he may be the type to never sell out of spite. The fact that he is dumping in full view of his neighbour and burning gives a good indication of what he is like as a 'good' neighbour. I'd hate to imagine what he would be like as a bad one.

Report away on the dumping but don't let it fall back OP if possible.

Advertisement