Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrians intentionally blocking cycle lanes

Options
  • 18-05-2018 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭

I cycle everyday into work and there are certain sections where the cycle lane is always has pedestrians in it. There are those who are just simply unaware and apologise when they realise. The other pedestrians are whole different story. People who do it everyday but at least some of them move out of the way but then there is the one who intentionally block the cycle lane. Some walking with their back to the direction may not realise but seeing them do it day after day you realise they must know. Then there are the ones facing you that clearly see you and even move about to block the cycle lane. Has anybody got any idea why they do this? Can't make any sense of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One on my commute has a great cycle path and then a pedestrian track in a piece of park. The track is useless so all the peds block the cycle lane. Council claim poverty and won't resolve it.

Just avoid most elevated cycle lanes, few are worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I cycle everyday into work and there are certain sections where the cycle lane is always has pedestrians in it. There are those who are just simply unaware and apologise when they realise. The other pedestrians are whole different story. People who do it everyday but at least some of them move out of the way but then there is the one who intentionally block the cycle lane. Some walking with their back to the direction may not realise but seeing them do it day after day you realise they must know. Then there are the ones facing you that clearly see you and even move about to block the cycle lane. Has anybody got any idea why they do this? Can't make any sense of it

Probably the same reason why cyclists use the footpath or cycle against the flow of traffic and why motorists use the bus or cycle lanes. Lack of enforcement and ignorant people, mainly just ignorant people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just idiots really, get a bell on your bike to let people know. I had a lad that used to walk down the Clontarf->Sutton cycle track in the mornings for some reason. I'd ring my bell (really just to make people aware I was there.) and he'd tell me to 'f*ck off'. This went on for a couple of weeks, most mornings he'd be somewhere on it. Then one morning I noticed him from ages back just standing there, he had a rock in his hand to throw it at me. He missed. I didn't stop, and never saw him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I used to use an airzound II airhorn on my bike. It is really loud and sounds like a car horn, very useful for alerting cars that are squeezing me in the cycle lane.

I used on a pedestrian once only. I really shouldn't have. Young scrote, showing off to his friends and some teenage girls they were walking in. Walking along the canal cycle path, deliberately blocking it & laughing, while his pals walked on teh footpath.

I was behind him. Beeped him, he thought there was a car or a motorbike immediately behind him, he literally jumped a foot into the air and half fell off the cycle track. His friends broke their arses laughing, i couldn't help myself laughing too as i cycled past him. He swung a punch towards me but tbh i think he intended to miss, was not close.

Anyway that was childish, juvenile, inappropriate and immensely satisfying. I need to grow up a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Del2005 wrote: »
    Probably the same reason why cyclists use the footpath or cycle against the flow of traffic and why motorists use the bus or cycle lanes. Lack of enforcement and ignorant people, mainly just ignorant people.

what enforcement could there be against the pedestrians, I doubt they're breaking any law.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

loyatemu wrote: »
    what enforcement could there be against the pedestrians, I doubt they're breaking any law.

Pedestrians are supposed to use footpaths where provided.The actual text of the law was posted in another thread only a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Then there are the ones facing you that clearly see you and even move about to block the cycle lane. Has anybody got any idea why they do this? Can't make any sense of it
    Some of the footpath mounted cycle tracks have badly faded lines and I think some pedestrians think the cyclist is cycling on the footpath and make a little protest by not moving. I get an occasional comment about footpaths being for pedestrians on the outbound stretch at Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

We nearly got through the week without a cyclists vs everyone else thread.
    So close :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

As a daily bicycle commuter the odd time I walk I have found myself unintentionally walking in the cycle lane!
    I'm just so bloody used to the bike.. then realise and nearly sh*t myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If you think I created a them versus us thread that says more about you than what was posted. I clearly pointed out that it is a sub group and as such why are some people a-holes.

These are not faded paths without indication it is a cycle lane and there are repeat offenders. It is completely intentional as an act to block people. Can't make any sense of it as they don't save any time and it isn't a shortcut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Cyclists and pedestrians are natural enemies, like taxi drivers and cyclists. Or bus drivers and cyclists. Or car drivers and cyclists. Or cyclists and other cyclists. Damn cyclists! They ruined cycling!

ED E wrote: »
    One on my commute has a great cycle path and then a pedestrian track in a piece of park. The track is useless so all the peds block the cycle lane. Council claim poverty and won't resolve it.

Just avoid most elevated cycle lanes, few are worth it.

if it isn't the same, that sounds like the one through Blackrock park.

It's a footpath through a park, for families to walk on, for dog walkers to walk on and now, thanks to DL council, it is also for cyclists to cycle on.

Of course, the white line they have painted down the middle of said path protects cyclists and pedestrians from each other, so what's the problem:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Aegir wrote: »
    if it isn't the same, that sounds like the one through Blackrock park.

It's a footpath through a park, for families to walk on, for dog walkers to walk on and now, thanks to DL council, it is also for cyclists to cycle on.

Of course, the white line they have painted down the middle of said path protects cyclists and pedestrians from each other, so what's the problem:rolleyes:

Like pretty much every greenway in the country?

Ultimately the responsibility lies with the cyclist to avoid the pedestrians, which is generally not that difficult. I use that path in Blackrock park and I give pedestrians a very wide berth and slow right down if there are kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

loyatemu wrote: »

Then just like bikes using the road when there is a cycle path its tough on the cyclists and as this time you aren't the vulnerable person the blame will fall on the cyclist if you hit a pedestrian.

If you think I created a them versus us thread that says more about you than what was posted. I clearly pointed out that it is a sub group and as such why are some people a-holes.

These are not faded paths without indication it is a cycle lane and there are repeat offenders. It is completely intentional as an act to block people. Can't make any sense of it as they don't save any time and it isn't a shortcut.

I totally agree with your OP so I wasn't having a go at you.

I was just having a bit of fun as I noticed it had been a quiet week on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I totally agree with your OP so I wasn't having a go at you.

I was just having a bit of fun as I noticed it had been a quite week on the forum.

Quite the week indeed! :p

fat bloke wrote: »
    Quite the week indeed! :p

No idea what you are talking about 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just cycle on the road? Sure us cyclists are always moaning about how bad the cycle paths are anyway!

Advertisement