Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre to the Home

Options
  • 18-05-2018 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I currently have fibre to the cabinet connectivity regarding my broadband. The issue is I can only get a max of 7 mbps as it's copper from the cabinet to my house. Looking at the coverage map on the Open Eir website, I'm actually pretty close from the cabinet (maybe a couple of hundred meters).

How do I go about asking Open Eir if they can provide me with a fibre line from the cabinet to my house so I can get proper broadband speeds? I can't for the life of me find any details on either the Open Eir or Eir websites.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

You cannot get a fibre line from a cabinet fibre optic link goes from exchange to DSLAM which is the box next to the cabinet it switches it over to electrical from light there and it comes over the copper to your house only ftth nodes provide fibre to the home. These run through no cabinets at all and you may as well be comparing copper lines and fibre lines to gas pipes and water pipes.
    If your only 400 meters from the cabinet and that cabinet serves your house you should be getting 90mbps
     7mbps is for someone stuck about 1.3km from the cabinet or on ADSL from exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Dtwhite123 wrote: »
    I currently have fibre to the cabinet connectivity regarding my broadband. The issue is I can only get a max of 7 mbps as it's copper from the cabinet to my house. Looking at the coverage map on the Open Eir website, I'm actually pretty close from the cabinet (maybe a couple of hundred meters).

How do I go about asking Open Eir if they can provide me with a fibre line from the cabinet to my house so I can get proper broadband speeds? I can't for the life of me find any details on either the Open Eir or Eir websites.

Thank you!
    Couple of hundred metres away you should be getting 80-90mbps. I'd be willing to lay money the internal wiring is messed up in the house with extensions wired in that are killing your VDSL signal. 

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Have a look in the etu and the back of the phone socket are there more than 1 pair of wires joined together you do not want your lines running in a three way split or more your boradband will run up those links too and give a noisy line from picking up attenuation from outside interference.
    There's a way to wire phone sockets to just carry dialtone to all other sockets but leave broadband at one socket. If it's the issue you can test the pairs with a tester 54vdc means your phone line is there
    It's not strong enough to do ya any harm just don't lick it.
    Blue white blue or orange orange white are the pairs used for line.
    A break on one leg can cause crappy speeds too.
    Check the pair are secured and not snapped hanging off the lug at the back of the phone socket

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dtwhite123

Thanks folks for the feedback.

I'm not sure why I can only get a max of 7 mbps when I'm only a couple of hundred meters from the cabinet. When I spoke to my providers (Pure Telecom) they said it was a case that it was fiber as far as the cabinet, but then from there to my house would be just copper. They recommended I get onto Open Eir.

I'm hoping a rep from Eir sees this thread and gives me some guidance to see how I might get fibre to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

I don't know how they get away with such false advertising, or Lying as it is also known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I'm not sure why I can only get a max of 7 mbps when I'm only a couple of hundred meters from the cabinet. When I spoke to my providers (Pure Telecom) they said it was a case that it was fiber as far as the cabinet, but then from there to my house would be just copper. They recommended I get onto Open Eir.

I'm hoping a rep from Eir sees this thread and gives me some guidance to see how I might get fibre to the house.
    Seriously, take a look at your internal wiring. Get a friend or someone with some knowledge of telephone wiring and get them to remove everything except the wiring from outside through to your router. Openeir will not talk to end user about this and this isn't a forum for them only for Eir. 

Only other thing is, how sure are you that the wiring comes directly to you from the cabinet? Sometimes the copper takes a long route around in a circle etc. 

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dtwhite123

Deagol wrote: »

Seriously, take a look at your internal wiring. Get a friend or someone with some knowledge of telephone wiring and get them to remove everything except the wiring from outside through to your router. Openeir will not talk to end user about this and this isn't a forum for them only for Eir. 

Only other thing is, how sure are you that the wiring comes directly to you from the cabinet? Sometimes the copper takes a long route around in a circle etc. 
    Thanks for that advice.

I am not at all sure the wiring comes directly to me from the cabinet. It could well come via a longer route. While our house is relatively new, it's on an old street in a historic town, so I wouldn't be confident about the local infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Thanks for that advice.

I am not at all sure the wiring comes directly to me from the cabinet. It could well come via a longer route. While our house is relatively new, it's on an old street in a historic town, so I wouldn't be confident about the local infrastructure.
    Hi Dtwhite123, 

Feel free to PM me your details and I'll have a look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks for that advice.

Hi Dtwhite123, 

Feel free to PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth and I'll have a look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    He's a Pure customer, this thread shouldn't be here at all.

Nah, don't. The chances that a line is faulting so badly that it goes from a 70-100Mb sync to a 7Mb sync without huge intermittency (not mentioned in OP) are very very low.

Dtwhite123 You probably live right near one cab and about 2km from another cab that has an E before the number? (Such as you're on ABC_004 and thers ABC_E01 around). If so, you're direct fed. 

Check the OpenEir NGA map. If you're in a green hilighted area its tough luck, you may get 12Mb when Supervector launches. If you're outside and on a yellow line FTTH is coming but you dont request it, you wait for it to be ready then order. 

Advertisement