Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest Killarney 2018

Options
  • 18-05-2018 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have entered the Expert 83k Route for Quest Killarney in October.

I am new to Adventure Racing (and cycling and running for that matter) but have completed Quest Glendalough Expert 57k (4h40m) and WARR 55k (3h20m) this year but am stepping up the distance for the next one.

I am wonder if anyone has any training tips for stepping up distances? I wont be threatening the podium but would like to finish middle of the pack, so probably 6hr to 6hr30m?

How does the course compare to Glendalough (aside from obviously being longer)!?

I wouldn't class myself as a runner or a cyclist so it will all need improvement!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I havent done Killarney as of yet but if you got through Glendalough you shouldnt have any problem...

I wouldnt go mad and stepping up big distances into your training for running or cycling.
    I would suggest you can at least run and cycle the longest distance comfortably.
    Mix up your training and add a few brick sessions.
    Run and cycle on opposite days then add in the Saturday long day by cycling to a mountain, lock up the bike and then run and cycle home...
    Overall working on your general fitness through the different disciplines will improve your fitness.
    Here is a link to to a training plan for Quest 12/24 to give an idea about mixing it up..
    http://www.questadventureseries.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Quest-12-24-Training-Plan.pdf
    Maybe I should read it myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mmccloy

Thanks Nobel Nudge - its the extra 27k worried me. Particularly the 18k run at the end up Torc Waterfall and Mangerton - that's giving me the fear!
    Training is ticking along despite a few injuries. MAD Adventure Race in Letterkenny on Saturday 21st then 11 weeks to go after that.
    Are you doing Killarney this year?

Honestly you'll have no bother..
    Im only really going to plan the 2nd half of the year now...
    Its on the list for sure and the date looks to be free so far...
    Mourne mountain run is later in October with the Dublin City marathon...Decisions decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Done this a few years ago having never really cycled before that, but was a strong runner. As another poster mentioned, general fitness will get you through. The cycle legs are quite short and the runs legs while tough, they are up mountains so a lot of people do a fair bit of walking.

My advice is to be strong and comfortable on a bike to cover around 50k including hills (half the race is essentially on a bike). The thing is, if you can get off the bike feeling some bit fresh then you'll be fine going up mangerton. Brick sessions as well as steep mountain trail running will be huge benefit to you.

Where are you based OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Anyone any idea if or when this sells out?

Cona wrote: »
    Anyone any idea if or when this sells out?

Went to register today and its sold out.

If anyone has a spare for the 83km or if a shorter course entry can transfer from some other wave give me a shout thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Hi All,

Planning to do the 55k route next week as my first ever race. Just wondering if I should have received an email regarding a waiver at this stage or is this something I do at registration on the day? Will contact Quest if I was supposed to get one. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭rebelgourmet

Chavways wrote: »
    Hi All,

Planning to do the 55k route next week as my first ever race. Just wondering if I should have received an email regarding a waiver at this stage or is this something I do at registration on the day? Will contact Quest if I was supposed to get one. Thanks.

Seem to recall the waiver is part of the registration process (online), you should have been asked to provide a digital signature also from memory? Check you email confirm from Quest. Good luck next saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rorymac74

I have a spare pro 73k entry if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Seem to recall the waiver is part of the registration process (online), you should have been asked to provide a digital signature also from memory? Check you email confirm from Quest. Good luck next saturday.

Ah yeah I remember that now. Found a bunch of emails from Quest in my junk folder! All good now.

rorymac74 wrote: »
    I have a spare pro 73k entry if anyone is interested.

Ive PM'd you Rory...
    Ive to work out logistics and costs...

Advertisement