Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The horrific death of Ana Kriegel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Did Mark Hennessy have anything to do with this? Are they checking his DNA in case he killed poor Ana?

I'll repeat my question which I believe is very important to this case.

No.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Lord Maguire

No.

How do you know? He is rumoured to have killed before and similarities are there.

No.

How do you know? He is rumoured to have killed before and similarities are there.

Because I know a lot about whats going on in the case. There's a school in shock their students may have killed another. Mark Hennessy wasn't in st Catherine's park, with an adult accomplice attacking a 13 year old boy and then killing a 13 year old girl.
    He's not rumoured to have killed before. Nobody knew his name until last weekend. Few newspaper articles say they'll check into him for the Leinster missing women cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Because they police know who did it and it wasn't him. They are awaiting the DNA evidence to prove it and arrest him.

Mark my words it'll be the 13 year old. No one is buying that mystery men attacked me story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

You can be sure that his DNA will be checked as a matter of course.

Because I know a lot about whats going on in the case. There's a school in shock their students may have killed another. Mark Hennessy wasn't in st Catherine's park, with an adult accomplice attacking a 13 year old boy and then killing a 13 year old girl.
    He's not rumoured to have killed before. Nobody knew his name until last weekend. Few newspaper articles say they'll check into him for the Leinster missing women cases.

You know that for a fact? Hennessy could have gone to the park, saw Ana like he did Jastine and pounced. Nothing says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

You know that for a fact? Hennessy could have gone to the park, saw Ana like he did Jastine and pounced. Nothing says otherwise.

And there is a giant flying spaghetti monster flying in the sky. Nothing says otherwise.

So could I have done that. I live beside the park.
    You could have done it too.
    Do you want a connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

So could I have done that. I live beside the park.
    You could have done it too.
    Do you want a connection?

A lot of people could have done it. But you can narrow it down to who was in the park at that time. Was he there then? If not, it's not him.

It appears it is already known who the suspect is that killed Ana.

People are just making wild leaps because of two horrendously tragic crimes that happened at similar times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'd hazard a guess they haveve checked cctv in the area along with Mark Hennessys logs from his sat nav. There appears to be a definitive line of enquiry in motion which doesn't include Hennessy for obvious reasons.

This country is mad, the crimes are heinous enough but people seem to want to have a serial killer added in to make it worse or something. Bizarre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'd hazard a guess they haveve checked cctv in the area along with Mark Hennessys logs from his sat nav. There appears to be a definitive line of enquiry in motion which doesn't include Hennessy for obvious reasons.

This country is mad, the crimes are heinous enough but people seem to want to have a serial killer added in to make it worse or something. Bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭threetrees

Up and down the corridors of the school the students know who did it. Or at least they know who was in the park at the time.

In my kids school if someone sets off the fire alarm, overturns a bin, breaks a fence while hopping it, anything really, the kids know who the likelihood culprit is and corridor talk confirns it. This may be kept from the media but the locals will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Is there a go fund page for this girl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

For people wondering about arrests it might be worth explaining how things work in Ireland. You don't simply arrest someone for committing a crime, there has to be a purpose for the arrest. So you arrest them to charge them or to aid with the investigation. Obviously the Gardaí aren't at the charge phase yet. So let's look at the second part.

Once a person is arrested for the investigation they must be detained under a statutory power. Now we have a bit of an odd situation here in Ireland. The basic power to detain someone is Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act. It allows you to detain someone for up to 24 hours for questioning, DNA, fingerprinting etc. There are different pieces of legislation with extra time limits governing detention for terrorism, drug trafficking and most recently acts involving a firearm but the original Section 4 detention has never been increased from 24 hours. So if you get caught with 10k worth of drugs or shoot someone dead you can theoretically be detained for 7 days but if you stab, rape or strangle them it's only 24 hours. So it is vital that every bit of evidence is ready to be put to the defendant before the arrest. There are some exceptions to this rule but they aren't often invoked.

Now, that doesn't mean that nothing is to be done in the meantime. There's a lot of witness statements, search warrants, DNA testing, phone/computer examination, post mortem all of which will be needed for the detention mentioned above. So that's why arrests don't always come so quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Except for, you know, evidence.

• Advertisement

Hennessy has form, nothing rules him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

That's what I was wondering too!
    Or a vigil?

You really want this to be a thing don't You?

Laois_Man wrote: »

That's what I was wondering too!
    Or a vigil?

There is a go fund me page set up by a local teenager. Don't have a link or anything but defo saw it.
    There was a vigil/3 minutes silence organised but it was cancelled at family's request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: Don't post in this thread again. We warned about utterly baseless speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I think its clear, from the current media reports, the culprit(s) is(are) likely to be of similar age , why people are speculating about random adult killers is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Rumoured by who exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Mad how a thread which initially started out with people paying their respect for the poor girl and her family very quickly descended into mindless and baseless speculations.

I hope justice is brought to her family, she went through a horrific ordeal before she died and I think she and her family deserve more than to have randomers mindlessly throwing accusations or assumptions around online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Anna was allegedly invited to the park to meet someone that liked her and was greeted instead by a gang of local boys laughing at her.  I'm sure they've all been interviewed by now. They should feel an overwhelming sense of guilt. If it's indeed true I can't believe any of them would have thought that was actually an OK thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It should be pointed out btw that the main reason someone thought of a go fund page for Jastine is because she was living in a foreign country and her body would need to be repatriated to the Philippines, which would be a very expensive process not to mention the expense for her family and friends wanting to travel over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

threetrees wrote: »
    Up and down the corridors of the school the students know who did it. Or at least they know who was in the park at the time.

In my kids school if someone sets off the fire alarm, overturns a bin, breaks a fence while hopping it, anything really, the kids know who the likelihood culprit is and corridor talk confirns it. This may be kept from the media but the locals will know.

In my experience students like to add stuff on to stories to whip up drama.
    I don't know what's going on in the school, but im sure students are being told to stay calm, not start gossiping and talk to adults if they have information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

An investigation into whether any warning signs were apparent in the school environment, and whether they were acted on, needs to be conducted.

Perhaps school managements should be obliged to confidentially inform the guards if a bullying problem comes to their attention. At least then, the guards will have an idea which doors to knock on if there's a serious incident.

If it's true that Ana was lured to a meeting, and then set upon by a group, then they should all be tried as accomplices. This might go some way towards promoting a good Samaritan ethos.

Regarding a broken arm injury, I wonder was that caused by someone attempting to intervene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

An investigation into whether any warning signs were apparent in the school environment, and whether they were acted on, needs to be conducted.

Perhaps school managements should be obliged to confidentially inform the guards if a bullying problem comes to their attention. At least then, the guards will have an idea which doors to knock on if there's a serious incident.

If it's true that Ana was lured to a meeting, and then set upon by a group, then they should all be tried as accomplices. This might go some way towards promoting a good Samaritan ethos.

Regarding a broken arm injury, I wonder was that caused by someone attempting to intervene?

Or if she fought back and then it escalated

Jeez are you serious? Kids who allegedly went along with a suggested prank be tried as accomplices to murder!

Anyhow this is all speculation and seriously harmful to people, hopefully what happened will come out in time with police interviews and confessions etc.

I've heard so many different accounts through gossip and idle chat it can only mean one thing.
    Let the gardaí do their job.
    There're probably kids reading this thread and going into schools nearby recounting the 'best bits' as If it's established fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I know absolutely nothing about poor Ana's case but my niece is also a first year student in the school and was subjected to absolutely vicious bullying earlier this year. An Instagram account was set up for this express purpose and when it was brought to the attention of the school, the principal was horrified, but didn't ultimately do a whole lot about it. Certainly the Gardaí weren't involved at any stage.

My brother showed me the messages involved. I'd consider myself a very tough cookie but I've never seen anything like it in my life. It's not just the sentiment involved, it's the fact that someone actually felt the need to take the time and effort involved in setting up an Instagram account, sitting down, thinking about and actually typing out the very lengthy messages to my niece telling her how much they hate her. That at no point did they go "Hang on a sec, maybe this isn't really funny/warranted/a bit of a laugh".

It literally beggars belief the cruelty some teens are capable of. Nothing will ever bring Ana back to her family but I hope to God they see some semblance of justice done.

• Advertisement

That's a truly awful story, also sounds hauntingly similar. I'd share that with the Garda tbh it might actually be of some significance.

Children are so hateful and without being a psychologist I can't understand the motives. However, I'd think instead of molly coddling them we'd be far better off teaching them relationships. The how to's; do's and don't practical advice for a practical world. Instead of burying head in the sand and pretending they are always up to good. Secondary students are effectively adults these days. Better to set a curriculum and teach them a bit of respect for one and other early days.

What's the area like are there socioeconomic factors that means there is a section of deprived individuals?

OwlsZat wrote: »
    That's a truly awful story, also sounds hauntingly similar. I'd share that with the Garda tbh it might actually be of some significance.

Children are so hateful and without being a psychologist I can't understand the motives. However, I'd think instead of molly coddling them we'd be far better off teaching them relationships. Sexual and friendly the how to's, do's and don't practical advice for a practical world. Instead of buying head in the sand and pretending they are always up to good. Secondary students are effectively adults these days. Better to set a curriculum and teach them a bit of respect for one and other early days.

What's the area like are there socioeconomic factors that means there is a section of deprived individuals?

Not really it's all people relatively financially comfortable and little crime apart from some antisocial stuff but much less than most suburbs of Dublin.
    Not deprived by any means. No unemployment or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know you're only posing a question but I hate this cliched stuff. Brian Murphy was kicked to death outside Anabels in the 'leafiest' part of the country. The media called the killers the Blackrock Boot Boys. Money, or lack thereof, shouldn't make you kill people in a violent and sexually depraved way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Children are so hateful and without being a psychologist I can't understand the motives. However, I'd think instead of molly coddling them we'd be far better off teaching them relationships. The how to's; do's and don't practical advice for a practical world. Instead of burying head in the sand and pretending they are always up to good. Secondary students are effectively adults these days. Better to set a curriculum and teach them a bit of respect for one and other early days.

Perhaps more physically rough fights and things like that in schools in deprived area but such malicious things as Dialhard described Id say has little to do with economic status of the area overall and is more down to the individual children in question who can be in any school regardless of socio economic factors

Omackeral wrote: »

I know you're only posing a question but I hate this cliched stuff. Brian Murphy was kicked to death outside Anabels in the 'leafiest' part of the country. The media called the killers the Blackrock Boot Boys. Money, or lack thereof, shouldn't make you kill people in a violent and sexually depraved way.
    Apologies for asking a cliched question. I don't know the demographic hugely well so said I'd ask. I think from responses it's safe to say there wasn't any marginalised society or us and them stuff going on.

we live in a culture now fueled by ridicule, bullying and tacit cruelty. You just have to look at Saturday night TV to get a sense of it. Kids have always been little swines, we all were, I remember us all slagging a kid on our road for years about his cleft pallet, he still lives with his mam and I feel ill when he says hello, ashamed isn't the word. He kicked the sh!t outa me once or twice too, and I him, but that was it.

This stuff though is on a whole new level, kids just don't see the line because often it's not been toed at home, end of story. Boy are the parents going to get an eye opener if the lads had a history of this which went unpunished or not addressed!! They'll be lucky to have all the window still in their houses, (which some ****wits will do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Omackeral wrote: »

True.

And another killing, also in 'leafy' area... https://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-jailed-over-fatal-stabbing-on-waterloo-road-1.1275192

The reasons why children commit horrendous crimes are very complicated. There is no blanket cause and certainly no easy solution or one size fits all rehabilitation. Some kids are subjected to truly awful experiences from the people who should care for them the most. Kids who aren't fed or go to school or shown how to love and what it means to be a decent human being.

Then there are those who no matter the secure base exhibit traits that would fit in with an adult diagnosis of anti-social personality disorder. This can't be diagnosed in childhood because the internal self is still developing.

Anger, feeling different, extreme low self-worth, impulsivity, lack of empathy, inability to see others as human beings. These are serious issues that can create young monsters. I think it's important to be aware as a society of how such crimes can come about and the possible reasons why a child commits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Strazdas wrote: »

It should be pointed out btw that the main reason someone thought of a go fund page for Jastine is because she was living in a foreign country and her body would need to be repatriated to the Philippines, which would be a very expensive process not to mention the expense for her family and friends wanting to travel over there.

It's a Fillipino tradition to give money to a family when someone dies. It's called Abuloy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Anna was allegedly invited to the park to meet someone that liked her and was greeted instead by a gang of local boys laughing at her.  I'm sure they've all been interviewed by now. They should feel an overwhelming sense of guilt. If it's indeed true I can't believe any of them would have thought that was actually an OK thing to do.

If this is true those boys should be charged for something as they knew where Ana was last seen and never told the authorities. Little scumbags the lot of them, I hope they are named and shamed locally!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I know absolutely nothing about poor Ana's case but my niece is also a first year student in the school and was subjected to absolutely vicious bullying earlier this year. An Instagram account was set up for this express purpose and when it was brought to the attention of the school, the principal was horrified, but didn't ultimately do a whole lot about it. Certainly the Gardaí weren't involved at any stage.

My brother showed me the messages involved. I'd consider myself a very tough cookie but I've never seen anything like it in my life. It's not just the sentiment involved, it's the fact that someone actually felt the need to take the time and effort involved in setting up an Instagram account, sitting down, thinking about and actually typing out the very lengthy messages to my niece telling her how much they hate her. That at no point did they go "Hang on a sec, maybe this isn't really funny/warranted/a bit of a laugh".

It literally beggars belief the cruelty some teens are capable of. Nothing will ever bring Ana back to her family but I hope to God they see some semblance of justice done.

That is a disgrace, in <snip> as well? I thought that school had a good name, students from Lucan get bused there everyday.
    Sounds like a bully culture exists there and the Principle hasn’t stamped it out so they should be questioned about their lack of action.

Compared to say Lucan Comminity college where there was a situation involving bullying of a pupil a few years back the principle came down hard on anyone she caught or reported to be bullying the girl. School management needs to come down strong on bullies.

It's impossible for schools to police anonymous social media bullying. That's why I was saying we should start teaching of the long term impact of bullying on individuals. We've seen people commit suicide, and now murder. Surely the writing is on the wall that it's a pandemic and needs practical training in schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Strazdas wrote: »

In the Philippines whenever someone passes away everyone in the community will come together to help the family financially by giving them money. The nationwide Filipino community wanted to do this for Jastine and hence a gofundmepage was set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That is a disgrace, in Confey as well? I thought that school had a good name, students from Lucan get bused there everyday.
    Sounds like a bully culture exists there and the Principle hasn’t stamped it out so they should be questioned about their lack of action.

Compared to say <snip> where there was a situation involving bullying of a pupil a few years back the principle came down hard on anyone she caught or reported to be bullying the girl. School management needs to come down strong on bullies.

Sounds like indeed.
    You don't know Jack about there or Lucan.
    Ok except for 'a situation a few years back' :rolleyes:
    Bullying happens in every school and outside school when kids are up till 1am on Instagram and parents let it happen.
    Did this incident take place IN the school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

It's impossible for schools to police anonymous social media bullying. That's why I was saying we should start teaching of the long term impact of bullying on individuals. We've seen people commit suicide, and now murder. Surely the writing is on the wall that it's a pandemic and needs practical training in schools.
    The sort of kids who bully others to the point of suicide tend to be quite proud of their ability to do that, and really are not going to give a duck about the long term impact of bullying on individuals.

The sort of kids who bully others to the point of suicide tend to be quite proud of their ability to do that, and really are not going to give a duck about the long term impact of bullying on individuals.

How do you know that. Is this from a psychology journal or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

If this is true those boys should be charged for something as they knew where Ana was last seen and never told the authorities. Little scumbags the lot of them, I hope they are named and shamed locally!

They are already..

Job for the parents to stamp out bullying really. I went to the school in question (apologies for ninja edit i didnt mean to mention any school) and while I wouldn't class it as a great school, it's ok.
    Can't really see how the principal would have any control after out of hours stuff on Instagram etc...thats not fair to expect that.
    Hundreds of students in that school, they all know right from wrong.
    Now, the bullying and a murder took place so it's the law that has to come down hard. And I hope it does.
    Some of the more recent posts are the bleeding heart stories heard in court that gets people off......
    Why children kill, never shown love or affection, and now we have some people saying it's the schools fault.
    It's not, it's the children's. I don't care about upbringing or environment, they have to be very harshly punished.
    So does anyone that knew about this and didn't stop it or report it, including fellow classmates and family members, if they did that is.

Sounds like indeed.
    You don't know Jack about there or Lucan.
    Ok except for 'a situation a few years back' :rolleyes:
    Bullying happens in every school and outside school when kids are up till 1am on Instagram and parents let it happen.
    Did this incident take place IN the school?

I know more then you!
    My kids go to <snip> and that incident that I mentioned happened in one of the empty unfinished houses in Adamstown! I don’t want to elaborate but cops were involved and the girl was wrongly picked on afterwards and the Principle had to step in to stop it!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement