Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert To By One(I think?)

Options
  • 18-05-2018 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

I have a lapierre edge 529

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=113276

Was looking into a by one(I think?) or in English one cog at front. I've three at the minute and find a lot of messing and then some cross chaining as not sure on right combo

Can and cant do much with bike(usually goes wrong), so was thinking of asking a shop for a price to do it with parts, or would I be mad to consider it with cost etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The bike, you've linked, is a 2 X 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Eamonnator wrote: »
    The bike, you've linked, is a 2 X 10.

http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gamme/2017/mtb/sport/edge-527529

I must have linked the newer model :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Are there any x1 sets available or do people just use one chainring and a wide spread of gears on the back? I can see the practicality of it and it’s become common on mountain bikes but I’m not sure exactly how you go about it

Are there any x1 sets available or do people just use one chainring and a wide spread of gears on the back? I can see the practicality of it and it’s become common on mountain bikes but I’m not sure exactly how you go about it

I've looked on you-tube etc and generally seems to be change chain ring and then add/remove some of the rear gears

Love to go to a bike shop and pay x price and be handed back a bike with it done and some guarantee be OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

jeffk wrote: »

There's not much too it
    *fit a narrow wide chainring in middle position
    *maybe fit a chain guide or use fd for that but disconnect it once set up
    *a clutch rd would be better if off road with it

Select size of your chainring depending on what time of riding you do.

Cut and fit new chain to size

• Advertisement

Asked a few places on Facebook

One reply so far (I hope)

Saying change drivetrain and that comes in at E480 all in, over half the price of bike

I thought be E50 to E100 tops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

jeffk wrote: »
    Asked a few places on Facebook

One reply so far (I hope)

Saying change drivetrain and that comes in at E480 all in, over half the price of bike

I thought be E50 to E100 tops

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/mountain/mountain-drivetrain/mountain-chainrings/

NW chainring there (once you know bcd of middle ring) and and spacers, chain device you might need instead of a fd (you might not need any on forest roads and the like).

Chain for €20 and you are under budget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

It is not that much of a challenge to do yourself and as you can see by the quotes you were given you could save yourself a fortune.

This youtube video goes through the process almost exactly as ford2600 explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I have a superstar components narrow wide chain ring on my cx bike with a standard 105 rear derailleur and have never dropped it on the cx bike. Think it cost me a about 40 quid, and took about ten minutes to fit.

Down to E115 from same place, chainset as was some confusion

I'm liking the prices being mentioned but useless at this and then haven't tolls so be looking at golden handshake or LBS that won't milk me

• Advertisement
Advertisement