Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from a BMW F800GS to.... what?

Options
  • 18-05-2018 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

My son bought a beauty of a bike, a BMW F800GS a few months ago and now wants to change it.

For sale here

I wish I could knock some sense into him, but he's 26 and almost as big as me lol.

Here's the thing, he's looking at getting a Yamaha MT09. A completely silly move IMO since he's mostly a commuter and moving into his own home soon. I tried to tell him he'll miss the sheer practicality of having something like he has now but he's intent on changing.

I've suggested a VFR800, gives him plenty of power with the practicality of having boxes and some weather protection ~ he doesn't like them.

Tbh I don't think he'll like any of my choices, I'm probably old lol.

So, any suggestions?.

He won't go for another adventure style bike, I even offered him my R1200GS if it was just a bit more power he was after. He didn't want it.

My other suggestion was a Yamaha FZ800, that was shot down too.

Any idea's?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Regarding the Yamahas, from various things I've read and watched the MT-09 is less fun than either the MT-07 or MT-10, being somewhat handicapped by seating position and jerky throttle.

S1000R?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    Regarding the Yamahas, from various things I've read and watched the MT-09 is less fun than either the MT-07 or MT-10, being somewhat handicapped by seating position and jerky throttle.

S1000R?

Or MT-10

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

listermint wrote: »
    Or MT-10
    Well, I'm in a similar position as Mak junior, just an older idiot who won't listen, and am desperately trying to avoid upgrading my XSR700 (MT-07) to something like an MT-10.

Every source says the MT-07 is a more fun bike, it's half the price and fuel consumption. But....the heart wants an R1 engine retuned for torque with lower gearing.

@Mak, I doubt you'll persuade him to avoid a naked. This is one of those dumb ideas that only a couple of winters of hypothermia can shake loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ducati Monster?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Haha, at 26 I had an impractical cbr600 as my only transport so at least a naked is slightly more sensible

Good luck but he’ll get what he wants I’m sure, as did you at that age??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Surprised he didn't bite on the vfr, thought the sporty look would appeal to a 26 year old, but then I'm old like you so what I think is sporty or cool is probably not at all.

The only reason I don't have an mt09 or 10 myself is because I commute and have already learned that naked bikes aren't good commuters the hard way. They're both cracking bikes, I prefered the 9 myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I won't multi quote (because I've had a few beers lol). But, sitting on the porch this evening and looking at the 800GS and seriously wondering if I should sell the 1200GS which is older and has more mileage and just buy the fecking 800GS myself, its a cracking bike.

MT09/10 ~ as a father they bought scare the bollox out of me, I want him to stay sensible.

He's buying a new home, and moving in very soon. His commute is going to be a nightmare on a naked, but as Zubair put it ~ I'm old.

Tried telling him once you put a tail tidy on a naked your back will be destroyed since your topbox is gone and the pillon seat is only a jesture at best.

And without the front fairing (hand guards on the 800GS) he's going to get the weather there too.. But I'm old, and what would I know about naked/sports bikes lol.

I'll keep pushing the VFR at him, it'll make much more sense on his new commute too.

Any more suggestions?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Keep the 800, it's a cracker !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I'll probably be going in the opposite direction as your son, would he be interested in a cbr6rr

8PvV6bZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Multistrada or XR1000? More go-go, but still some of the practicalities for commuting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

As a rider with a lot of years riding under my belt I deliberately stick to unfaired bikes now.
    The reason is I ride them slower.
    When I ride faired bikes I find my speeds creeping up without realizing.
    Just my tuppence worth.
    And yes, I'd go with the naked MT09 personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thats a serious deal on his bike! And its a beauty as well.

For me personally, if I was changing from an F800GS, it would be to a R1200GS...but thats just me, haha.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Thats a serious deal on his bike! And its a beauty as well.

For me personally, if I was changing from an F800GS, it would be to a R1200GS...but thats just me, haha.

I actually offered a swap for mine, although in fairness it would have been ripping him off too. But I told him to sell my 1200GS, I'd buy his 800GS and pocket the difference.. I actually love his fecking bike.

Someone mentioned a CBR600, he'd look like a parrot riding a circus bicycle on one ~ ie, he'd dwarf a CBR600RR.

Duc Monster, too small.. Multistrada etc, he's not interested.

Seems his heart is set on the MT09 and has asked me to travel to Liverpool to look at buying new and riding it home with him next week :(

The lads not for changing I guess :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Goose81

I actually offered a swap for mine, although in fairness it would have been ripping him off too. But I told him to sell my 1200GS, I'd buy his 800GS and pocket the difference.. I actually love his fecking bike.

Someone mentioned a CBR600, he'd look like a parrot riding a circus bicycle on one ~ ie, he'd dwarf a CBR600RR.

Duc Monster, too small.. Multistrada etc, he's not interested.

Seems his heart is set on the MT09 and has asked me to travel to Liverpool to look at buying new and riding it home with him next week :(

The lads not for changing I guess :mad:

If he's looking at buying one that new why would you bother riding it back, just buy it off a shop and get it shipped back , cheaper by a mile

It's not as if he or you will get a chance to rip it to bits and even if he could would he know what to look for. I don't understand that I bought mine sight unseen, if it's a newish bike what could possibly be mangled on it if it's from a shop and they have good pics. Waste of time going over imo

Also if he looks like a parrot on a cbr 600 he's going to look it on an mt09. His body type suits nothing but a big touring bike if he is big like you

Goose81 wrote: »
    If he's looking at buying one that new why would you bother riding it back, just buy it off a shop and get it shipped back , cheaper by a mile

Free shipping in the UK.. And a night on the gargle in Liverpool :D

Knowing him (Liverpool FC mad) there's probably a game involved too.

Free shipping in the UK.. And a night on the gargle in Liverpool :D

Knowing him (Liverpool FC mad) there's probably a game involved too.

I paid 300 for mine to be shipped to the door, that cheaper than I could have gone over and bought it and tbh I had better things to do with my time, would cost me money going over to get it than what I get paid

Modern bikes with ecu and fuel injection and low miles, what exact is he going to check?

I'd happily rebuild any engine and wouldn't know what to check on a low milleage modern bike. no shop or person is going to let you take half their bike apart

Goose81 wrote: »
    I paid 300 for mine to be shipped to the door, that cheaper than I could have gone over and bought it and tbh I had better things to do with my time, would cost me money going over to get it than what I get paid

Cool, we've lots of time and nothing better to do with it. Thanks all the same.

Cool, we've lots of time and nothing better to do with it. Thanks all the same.

Good luck to him , like you I think he will regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

If he is set on a naked I think the MV Agusta Brutale 800 looks far better than the MT-09 or any bike for that matter.
    Tell him to give it a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I'll be going from FZ6N to something BMW like your son has or along them lines for commuting. He is mad to sell, I am similar age, I suggest he gets a go on a naked bike up the M50 he won't be so keen after it.

Even just keep that and get something else for the weekends, I am thinking this also with the FZ6N, he will regret it for commuting, your pretty much ruled off a motorway as its that stressful and uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

has he taken one for an extended test drive? just a thought.

listermint wrote: »
    has he taken one for an extended test drive? just a thought.

He's rode my Z1000 for a day.

His commute is going to be from D4 to the far end of Swords, so the majority will be on the M1.

I've commuted on naked for years, and they're fooking awful in winter. Plus he's giving up a 46ltr top box for a bag on his back, makes no sense at all

Personally my choice would be to go for an Fz800, cracking motor. Luggage carrying capacity and fairing.

I suppose there is only 1 thing for it.

Move jobs and get the Mt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Looked at that ad, that's such a great bike, shame he wants to sell it, perfect for commuting. Thing is, if he's mostly commuting, anything powerful is a waste. For me, commuting in all weather needs a good upright riding position, decent protection from the weather and a top box. Good tight turning circle is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Get an old gsxr as a second bike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Honest to God, if I could afford it I'd buy that bike in a heartbeat, you won't have a problem selling it.

Baffled why he'd want to move away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Mrhuth

You old farts recommending him your boring af touring bikes. I am same age as him and I can tell you that I wouldn't ride any of the boring bikes you have suggested. I want to ride a gsxr, cbr, r1 etc. or their naked versions like the mt10 mt 09, anything that makes your dick hard. I am sure you all did when you were young too. He wants to get an mt09 then so be it, he'll enjoy it, I am sure. I use a gsxr 1000 for commuting Monday to Friday, commuting around 60km each way and I love every minute of it. Sure it's impractical but it's fun as hell, a twist of the throttle and you can feel the adrenaline rush and smile appearing on your face. I couldn't imagine riding to my work on a boring touring bike which won't give you the adrenaline rush or make you smile. You can argue that it still does but it's nothing compared to a 1000cc sports bike. Imagine having to ride to work Monday to Friday on a boring ass touring bike, I would be dreading it. Maybe my opinion will change when I get older but for now, give me torque or hp machine every time. I would give him to ride my gsxr and I can almost guarantee you that he would want to buy it the next day, the bikes that you have suggested are cager equilavent of a prius or a corolla, boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wood

Mrhuth wrote: »
    You old farts recommending him your boring af touring bikes. I am same age as him and I can tell you that I wouldn't ride any of the boring bikes you have suggested. I want to ride a gsxr, cbr, r1 etc. or their naked versions like the mt10 mt 09, anything that makes your dick hard. I am sure you all did when you were young too. He wants to get an mt09 then so be it, he'll enjoy it, I am sure. I use a gsxr 1000 for commuting Monday to Friday, commuting around 60km each way and I love every minute of it. Sure it's impractical but it's fun as hell, a twist of the throttle and you can feel the adrenaline rush and smile appearing on your face. I couldn't imagine riding to my work on a boring touring bike which won't give you the adrenaline rush or make you smile. You can argue that it still does but it's nothing compared to a 1000cc sports bike. Imagine having to ride to work Monday to Friday on a boring ass touring bike, I would be dreading it. Maybe my opinion will change when I get older but for now, give me torque or hp machine every time. I would give him to ride my gsxr and I can almost guarantee you that he would want to buy it the next day, the bikes that you have suggested are cager equilavent of a prius or a corolla, boring.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wood wrote: »
    giphy.gif

@Wood...the irony of your username, and the comment by Mrhuth on the effect of motorcycling on his genitalia does not escape me.. :pac:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Mrhuth wrote: »

Hahahahahahahahahahah....... *deep breath*

hahhahahaahahhaahhahahahaha :rolleyes:

I can guarantee you wouldn't be able to keep up with me on my "old man" bike.;)

I've owned everything from a Marauder 125 to a Rocket III to a ZZR14 and all in-between and the GS range of bikes from BMW are some of the best made.

My new 1200GSA with quick shifter will beat most bikes off the line.

Advertisement