Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early morning rides in Dublin

Options
  • 18-05-2018 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm visiting Ireland for another 3 weeks. Keen for early morning rides. Staying South dublin.
    Ideally 50-100km distance. Happy to start between 5 and 6am. Happy to jump on a fast training group or just a solid coffee ride. Are there any takers or anyone know of a group I can join?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Not to typecast the whole nation or anything, but at that hour you would be better tacking onto some barman heading home after a bit of a session in Temple Bar.
    Or try over in the Tri place, them boys do crazy stuff, if you can put up with them turning their necks up every time they want to refill their lungs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I’m out on the road at 5am regularly enough. Very few people around that time of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

godtabh wrote: »
    I’m out on the road at 5am regularly enough. Very few people around that time of the morning.

Apart from Alek who probably has about 2000m climbing done at that stage :pac:

VC Beechwood have early morning cycles, usually a few times a week, leaving Beechwood Luas, 6.30am, and heading to the South Dublin Hills, back around 8.00am or 8.30am

Contact charles.coase@yahoo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Don’t forget WA who would do 350km by 5.30am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Not anymore I'm afraid.

Also I would rather avoid the western part of Wicklow mountains too early in the morning, the amount of freshly burnt out cars I've seen over a few months of early morning training last year, made me a bit paranoid...

If you stick to the seaside part, it should be fine (Eniskerry, Glencullen, Devil's Elbow, Long Old Hill and such)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Alek wrote: »
    Not anymore I'm afraid.

Also I would rather avoid the western part of Wicklow mountains too early in the morning, the amount of freshly burnt out cars I've seen over a few months of early morning training last year, made me a bit paranoid...

If you stick to the seaside part, it should be fine (Eniskerry, Glencullen, Devil's Elbow, Long Old Hill and such)

Past a good few lately alright between viewing point and the descent into Bohernabreena.

Yup, the whole Bohernabreena valley and Featherbeds all the way to Sally Gap, but also the Butter Mountain area... I've counted 8 visible burnout marks on the road there last Saturday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've been warned off around there as well it not for burned out cars but the the joy riders before they burn them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

A local lady there answered the door to some people who wanted to acquire some of her property. She reached in, produced a shotgun and chased them a couple of km up the road, roaring and shouting and shooting.

But yes, there's a joyrider/ burner-out problem. Really, it needs some publicity to get the shickaloney on the case.

• Advertisement

I've been warned off around there as well it not for burned out cars but the the joy riders before they burn them out.

Well, that's what I meant. I'm not afraid of facing a burning car, but rather people that do this kind of shoite and rather don't want to be recognised/remembered/reported..... Or just having "fun"

Alek wrote: »
    Well, that's what I meant. I'm not afraid of facing a burning car, but rather people that do this kind of shoite and rather don't want to be recognised/remembered/reported..... Or just having "fun"

I'd assume that at some stage the Gardaí are going to target this little piece of anarchy in Dublin in an organised way, in the same way that they've mopped up burglary gangs in other places. But I wouldn't myself be very happy riding around alone there in the early hours.

Why don't you try the VC Beechwood ride and come back and report to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Simidau wrote: »
    I'm visiting Ireland for another 3 weeks. Keen for early morning rides. Staying South dublin.
    Ideally 50-100km distance. Happy to start between 5 and 6am. Happy to jump on a fast training group or just a solid coffee ride. Are there any takers or anyone know of a group I can join?

Getting away from an Irish Wife at 5 am in the morning is something only a few have done and lived to tell the tale about.
    Ye better have kiddies milk warmed, breakfast made and house cleaned before you are out that door or the nagging when you get home is fierce.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Getting away from an Irish Wife at 5 am in the morning is something only a few have done and lived to tell the tale about.
    Ye better have kiddies milk warmed, breakfast made and house cleaned before you are out that door or the nagging when you get home is fierce.

Well that's a load of shyte anyway :rolleyes:

Diddums

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Rechuchote wrote: »
    I'd assume that at some stage the Gardaí are going to target this little piece of anarchy in Dublin in an organised way, in the same way that they've mopped up burglary gangs in other places.

I can’t see that happening anytime soon. It really is awful the number of cars being burnt out – what must tourists think. Some sort of lawless place where there is no sheriff in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Rechuchote wrote: »
    But yes, there's a joyrider/ burner-out problem. Really, it needs some publicity to get the shickaloney on the case.

In fairness there was a garda traffic cop car up at Sally Gap last Sunday. Was pulling into all the forestry road entrances checking the cars there all teh way down to Laragh.

When our attention is back on normal things, it would be worth starting up a social media campaign of photos of these, say #MountainBurnouts, on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat, and drawing in media on the story. That would get the Gardaí energised.

Doesnt that depend on if you come home? Could be out all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Simidau

Thanks for your help everyone. Going to join a vc ride and work from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement