Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2018 - 23rd Sept

Options
  • 18-05-2018 10:33pm

Received an early email and discount code today, change of venue, starting Merrion Square and finishing Grangegorman Campus

42e (with discount)means it's a bit cheaper than last year, 105km and 70km options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Have you a link to the new route, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Have you a link to the new route, please?

Can't find it anywhere, not sure they've publicised it apart from the change in distance.

How far is Merrion Square from Grangegorman Campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How far is Merrion Square from Grangegorman Campus?
    About 3kms.

py wrote: »
    Can't find it anywhere, not sure they've publicised it apart from the change in distance.

the website is still showing information for the 2017 event, I think there were complaints from residents in Smithfield which prompted the move,

here's the link to registration

https://sirius.eventmaster.ie/event/k46FK2TA2

discount code: PRIORITY18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭lau1247

OK just started cycling and this is the first event that I will participate.

What is the story with insurance?? I see other bigger events have insurance option in the past but I don't see it here on the form other than a full membership with cycling ireland (I'm not with any club or member of cycling ireland if that is of any relevance)

Thanks in advance.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

lau1247 wrote: »
    OK just started cycling and this is the first event that I will participate.

What is the story with insurance?? I see other bigger events have insurance option in the past but I don't see it here on the form other than a full membership with cycling ireland (I'm not with any club or member of cycling ireland if that is of any relevance)

Thanks in advance.

Usually when you sign up there will be two options, with or without Cycling Ireland membership. This means if you’re already a member you don’t pay the extra for insurance- it’s round about a fiver in the difference usually

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Will the route be closed to cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

HugoMyBoss wrote: »

Hasnt been any other year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭lau1247

Usually when you sign up there will be two options, with or without Cycling Ireland membership. This means if you’re already a member you don’t pay the extra for insurance- it’s round about a fiver in the difference usually

thanks but i don't see the option to get insurance on it. Just the option for full membership at about 40 Eur or non at all. I think I will just go without and see if the option comes up later on.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

HugoMyBoss wrote: »

I came across the GDBR while I was out on a solo spin last year.
    Its an accident waiting to happen.
    The stretch last year near the airport was lethal.
    Cyclists all over the road and motorists taking all sorts of chances to get past an extremely fractured bunch of cyclists in their twos and threes.

One guy was cycling on the white line and had no intention of pulling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

mathie wrote: »
    Its an accident waiting to happen.
    The stretch last year near the airport was lethal.
    Cyclists all over the road and motorists taking all sorts of chances to get past an extremely fractured bunch of cyclists in their twos and threes.
    One guy was cycling on the white line and had no intention of pulling over.

Maybe you should pass on your concerns about it being an accident waiting to happen, to the organisers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I wonder if the route would change.

My only issue with not doing it, is it's not a very imaginative route and Meath is not in Dublin(and one I do these roads a lot). There are some great roads which it just bypasses on the way to and from Naul. Zigzagging from Garristown towards OldTown and bike out towards the Coolquay would be better than the Garristown - Ratoath and around Dublin 15's industrial estates imo.

It's another missed opportunity to allow a mass cycle in the park.

It would be great if it went the other direction too so you could include Howth. At present I imagine it's hard to as you'd have people descending from the summit while people are at Sutton Cross.

I have done the previous 3 cycles and enjoyed them, but the route from Ashbourne to Dublin is poor enough, going round the side of industrial estates, and the stop in Blanch.
    There doesn't seem to be a tee shirt this year,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yikes they're a bit late announcing it this year. Still the same route up over Snowton and back through the messite of the industrial estate?

I just hope, they have enough medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I just got the 'Early Bird Offer' email. But when you click the link, the 10% discount only seems to apply to non-CI members.

That's a bit of a bummer being penalised for actually being a CI member or am I missing something?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I just got the 'Early Bird Offer' email. But when you click the link, the 10% discount only seems to apply to non-CI members.

That's a bit of a bummer being penalised for actually being a CI member or am I missing something?:confused:

Emailed them for clarification and got this back -

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]
    The 10% discount is can only be applied to the full ticket price as stated in the below offer.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]So that's that then!
    [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I just registered, it wouldn't take my cycling ireland license though so I had to use the early bird code!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Routes are out some changes from the last two years

http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/routes/

https://twitter.com/DublinBikeRide/status/1008990547514716160

PS maybe a Mod can edit the Thread Tilte for the correct year 2018

• Advertisement

I wonder why the start and finish are not at the same place.
    It'll make things awkward for people leaving bags, jackets etc. at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Different 105km route skips ashbourne and comes down to Kilsallagh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Does the 65km go up knockmaroon hill? Is that the steep bit at ~55k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

I wonder why the start and finish are not at the same place.
    It'll make things awkward for people leaving bags, jackets etc. at the start.

Very good point... hopefully they will have a system in place. Thought it was well done last year st smithfield.
    Wouldn't really be practicable to drop stuff off in Grangegorman and head over to Meriron Sq after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

sullivlo wrote: »
    Does the 65km go up knockmaroon hill? Is that the steep bit at ~55k?

I say it's the Hill going past the Anglers Rest before going into the park .

Knockaroon would be from the other direction.

That road junction is going to be fun to manage traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Just see this today. Would this event be good option for someone only starting out on a road bike. Up to 35km in about 80mins but haven't attempt much climbs yet as I feel I struggle with the "hills" on my routes so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Moac

Just see this today. Would this event be good option for someone only starting out on a road bike. Up to 35km in about 80mins but haven't attempt much climbs yet as I feel I struggle with the "hills" on my routes so far?

Don't worry about the hills - just crank it out in low gear :)

Where are the lunch & water stops on 65k?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

Considering the hammering ROK gets in this parish over the €100 entry and it is charitable,  does anyone else think €50 for entry is a bit steep?  I don't really do sportives anymore (alebit I did the ROK last year after a near 10 year hiatus and I thought it was a brilliant event).
    Maybe the food stops are really good and there is a decent goodie bag but as I entered my other half last night I questioned where is the money going here? Maybe it is to affray the cost of An Garda Siochana or road closures in City Centre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Lewotsil wrote: »
    Considering the hammering ROK gets in this parish over the €100 entry and it is charitable,  does anyone else think €50 for entry is a bit steep?  I don't really do sportives anymore (alebit I did the ROK last year after a near 10 year hiatus and I thought it was a brilliant event).
    Maybe the food stops are really good and there is a decent goodie bag but as I entered my other half last night I questioned where is the money going here? Maybe it is to affray the cost of An Garda Siochana or road closures in City Centre ?

my thoughts exactly tbh. a mate was on suggesting doing it and I couldn't really see what I was going to be spending €50 for.

• Advertisement

Lewotsil wrote: »

Cycling clubs, and indeed some GAA clubs, are paid a fee, if they supply a certain number of marshals for this event.
    In my opinion, this is one of the best events of the year and all things considered, worth the entry fee. The start through the city is great, The marshalling is fantastic, marshals and Gardai at every junction. Food is good and the buzz at the end is brilliant.

Advertisement