Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2018 - 23rd Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Looking at it compared to sportifs like the Tour de Boyne Valley (€40 includes a nice long sleeve cycling shirt for early entrants) it's fairly expensive. It probably boils down to "festival factor" and convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Lewotsil wrote: »
    Considering the hammering ROK gets in this parish over the €100 entry and it is charitable, does anyone else think €50 for entry is a bit steep? I don't really do sportives anymore (alebit I did the ROK last year after a near 10 year hiatus and I thought it was a brilliant event).
    Maybe the food stops are really good and there is a decent goodie bag but as I entered my other half last night I questioned where is the money going here? Maybe it is to affray the cost of An Garda Siochana or road closures in City Centre ?

Man, too much information!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Goodie bag announced. Not too shabby to be fair. The only thing i probably wont make any use of is the water bottle, unless I buy a blue bike. My drawstring bag from 2 years back is tearing at the seams so perfect timing really

http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/goodie-bag/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

AND there's a medal.
    Don't forget the medal

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

Ok - didn't know that clubs are getting some kick-back if they provide manpower - that is good to hear and seems fair.
    Goodie Bag seems ok.
    I see #Cycleyourcity as the tag line ..........I had a great time cycling the ciity @ the https://www.dublincycling.com/events/liffey-cycle-protest ........it is on again Aug 12 .....and doesn't cost 50 quid !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ok - didn't know that clubs are getting some kick-back if they provide manpower - that is good to hear and seems fair.
    Goodie Bag seems ok.
    I see #Cycleyourcity as the tag line ..........I had a great time cycling the ciity @ the https://www.dublincycling.com/events/liffey-cycle-protest ........it is on again Aug 12 .....and doesn't cost 50 quid !

Not really fair to compare a mass participation event to a protest cycle along the liffey.

If you don't want to do the Dublin cycle, the ROK charity Cycle, the WW200 sportive or whatever other cycle event you can think of, don't do it. Just bring or buy your own food, repair your own punctures, fix your own mechanicals, etc. You can also pick your own route, stop when and where you want to etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

One look at the contents of the goody bag and I can't help but think of the crappy spot prizes you could win on 80's UK TV game shows....

a cycling hat, a neck buff, a drawstring bag, a water bottle, a cuddly toy, a Filofax, a fondue set......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Goodie Bag seems ok.

Not really fair to compare a mass participation event to a protest cycle along the liffey.

If you don't want to do the Dublin cycle, the ROK charity Cycle, the WW200 sportive or whatever other cycle event you can think of, don't do it. Just bring or buy your own food, repair your own punctures, fix your own mechanicals, etc. You can also pick your own route, stop when and where you want to etc. etc.
    Wasn't meaning to compare the events rather highlight the opportunity to #cycleyourcity :)  ...... as a tag line it could be construed as inferring that you cant #cycleyourcity on other days.
    Protesting for safer cycling infrastructure in Dublin is arguably a more noble/useful exercise for the entire cycling community............it is definitely cheaper ......very enjoyable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Signed up for this yesterday.

Anyone know what the 100km route is like? I know where it goes I just don't know about hills.

Also any advice would be great. I've not done anything further than 50km - I do Dun Laoghaire to Howth every month or 2.

I'm a pretty experienced cyclist - usually average around 35-40 mins over 20km. But I rarely do anything more than sprint distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Anyone know what the 100km route is like? I know where it goes I just don't know about hills..
    Looks like Snowtown has been removed (according to the link provided above) so no real climbing.

Long drag from north of Swords via Ballyboughal to Nau, sdescent into Naull and then another drag west of Naul over the 'three sisters'.

Garristown is the highest point but the gradient to there is barely noticeable.

• Advertisement

No Snowtown? so they've taken the "Great" out of the Great Dublin Bike Ride :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

07Lapierre wrote: »
    No Snowtown? so they've taken the "Great" out of the Great Dublin Bike Ride :(

No, they've taken a bit of Meath out of the Great Dublin Bike Ride. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I inherited an entry for this, but just realised it's for the 65km route. I see there are 'pens' mentioned for the start area. How strict are they on the day about letting you into a pen for the other distance, anyone have any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You'd be moving up to the more expensive one so they might not be too happy about it. Possibly ask them if you can change now and pay difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Effects wrote: »
    You'd be moving up to the more expensive one so they might not be too happy about it. Possibly ask them if you can change now and pay difference.

There's a cost difference? ah right, I'll look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

The route is now up to revision 6 and it has only 620m of climbing over a 105km which is nothing.

A mate done it last year two months after buying a bike and riding it twice and made it around, you will be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What is the route now? Targeting this as my comeback event after the broken elbow

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Is there a cut off date for registering for this? There are multiple events that weekend and I still am not sure what I will go for :-)

Edit: Sept 16th. From their website :-)

P_1 wrote: »
    What is the route now? Targeting this as my comeback event after the broken elbow

they do have a website! ;)

http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/routes/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

The little bump up past The Anglers Rest on the home stretch is going to catch a few people :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Whelcon

Any ideas where the feed stations will be on the 105km route?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

One just outside Naul and last year they had a small one in Adamstown

• Registered Users Posts: 26 saganfan

I'm in two minds about this, one part of me says do it, but another part of me says that €50 for not a very challenging route is a bit steep. Seems well organised though, and with a mate or two with it could be a nice way to finish the sportive season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Has anybody who opted to have their race number posted out, got them yet. The email said it would arrive one week prior to the event. I opted for that but it has not arrived (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

bazermc wrote: »
    Has anybody who opted to have their race number posted out, got them yet. The email said it would arrive one week prior to the event. I opted for that but it has not arrived (yet).

Same here ..still waiting .. hopefully in the next day or so

For those collecting it in person:
    Pack collection will be open at the following dates and times:

• Friday, 21st September – DIT Grangegorman, Dublin
    o 12:00 – 20:00

• Saturday, 22nd September – DIT Grangegorman, Dublin
    o 10:00 – 16:00

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

py wrote: »
    For those collecting it in person:
    Presumably it can also be collected on the morning of the 23rd?

(I won't be able to make it in on Fri or Sat).

Presumably it can also be collected on the morning of the 23rd?

(I won't be able to make it in on Fri or Sat).

Last few years I don't think they have had collection points on the morning of the event. I've collected multiple packs at the same time for work colleagues and friends so if you know someone else is attending you can get them to collect your pack for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

bazermc wrote: »

Postman has just been and delivered the race number etc ... so looks like they are being sent out to those that asked

• Advertisement

Advertisement