Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2018 - 23rd Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Does anyone familiar with the campus know if there are bikeracks close to the church?

Edit: I see lampposts, they will do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,898 ✭✭✭patrickc

It's a pain the start and finish in different places. I'm going to be coming from carlow Sunday morning, am I best parking at grsngegorman or near and Cycling over to the start?
    Anyone care to suggest a good place to start? I'm assuming Merrion Square is only ten mins on the bike from Grange Gorman?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

patrickc wrote: »
    It's a pain the start and finish in different places. I'm going to be coming from carlow Sunday morning, am I best parking at grsngegorman or near and Cycling over to the start?
    Anyone care to suggest a good place to start? I'm assuming Merrion Square is only ten mins on the bike from Grange Gorman?

Merrion square is probably the best area or close by as it is a business district so free parking at the weekend in off street place, like Baggot street/Fitzwilliam square etc (just double check the sign). On the other you are unlikely to get free parking around the finish area, but you wont have far to travel after finishing.

M square and Grangegorman are about 10 minutes away on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

py wrote: »
    Last few years I don't think they have had collection points on the morning of the event..
    Damn!

I'll have to try to skive off work on Saturday so. :(

(What happens for those travelling long distances to do it who would not be in a position to be there Fri or Sat?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Damn!

I'll have to try to skive off work on Saturday so. :(

(What happens for those travelling long distances to do it who would not be in a position to be there Fri or Sat?)

There was an option to have it posted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

py wrote:

I only got the number and wrist band in the post. I think there is a few other bits you can get if you go out but not sure exactly what they are!.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

How is the waves working. Is the first half of participants let off first or is it based on your number

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

First come first served into the staging area id say. Opens at 7am.

Not for those who registered at the last minute. (Didn't know if I could get the time off work until yesterday).

First come first served into the staging area id say. Opens at 7am.

are you better at the start or does it really matter?

• Advertisement

patrickc wrote:
    are you better at the start or does it really matter?

Doesnt really matter to be honest. When they drop the flag and your at the back it only takes a minute or two before you get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Looks like a monsoon on Sunday

Just got a reply from them saying numbers can be picked up on the morning of the ride between 6am and 7am. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Looks like a monsoon on Sunday
    met eireann are currently indicating that the weekend will be largely dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

met eireann are currently indicating that the weekend will be largely dry.

There looks to be the possibility of the remains of Hurricane Florence to hit us on Sunday ..possibility of 120kmh wind gusts ..still early days yet but possibility still there i think ..

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    There looks to be the possibility of the remains of Hurricane Florence to hit us on Sunday ..possibility of 120kmh wind gusts ..still early days yet but possibility still there i think ..

Hope not that's all we need

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Forecast has changed now but earlier this morning they were forecasting torrential rain.

bought a ticket last minute and now I'm getting a cold ..

Potential for a storm on Sunday, might be worth keeping an eye on weather forecasts and this thread over on weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Potential for a storm on Sunday, might be worth keeping an eye on weather forecasts and this thread over on weather forum.
    Bring it on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ronoc wrote: »
    bought a ticket last minute and now I'm getting cold feet ..

Fixed that for you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

At present we are being dumped with rain until around 9 am or so it looks. Then it clears up a bit, but then more rain late in the morning, early afternoon.

Opinions on using the 60mm front wheel on Sunday if the wind is high? Will leave the rear on but might go for the 30mm giant stock wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Looks to be gusty but I wouldn't worry with the 60 on the front, just watch out for gaps in the hedges on the descent from Garristown everything else will be grand

Borderfox wrote:
    Looks to be gusty but I wouldn't worry with the 60 on the front, just watch out for gaps in the hedges on the descent from Garristown everything else will be grand

60 it is so. :)

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Fixed that for you

:pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Opinions on using the 60mm front wheel on Sunday if the wind is high? Will leave the rear on but might go for the 30mm giant stock wheel.

I'd leave them at home. Even in more clement weather, you'd get no benefit from deep section wheels on a sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'd leave them at home. Even in more clement weather, you'd get no benefit from deep section wheels on a sportive.
    Ah. I thought he was talking about tyre width. 60mm tyres would be soo comfy...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i thought he was talking about wheel size. 60mm would be smaller than a supermarket trolley wheel.

• Advertisement

Advertisement