Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2018 - 23rd Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Chose to have my reg pack posted out and still no sign. Multiple mails and no response.

Disappointing. Try and get number tomorrow or Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I got an email to say the goody bag will be handed out at the finish line, didn't they give them out at sign-on in previous years? Thanks again for registering for the Great Dublin Bike Ride 2018!

You will need to collect your bike number at DIT Grangegorman, in St Lawrences Church on campus. (This will be clearly signposted)

Opening Times:

Friday 21st September 12pm-8pm
    Saturday 22nd September 10am-4pm

Please have your e-ticket with you (contained in this link) in order to collect your bike number. You will receive your goody bag at the finish line on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Whelcon

Am i correct in saying only 1 feed stop for the 105k route? Just outside Naul 38ks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Registered just before noon today in Grangegorman. Managed to get off work to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Whelcon wrote: »
    Am i correct in saying only 1 feed stop for the 105k route? Just outside Naul 38ks in.

According to their route info it is, ad it's 44 km in.

I was hmming and hawing, but I won't now. I'll probably be out on parts of the route so I'll wave at Folk around Garristown, Naul, Ballyboughal as I pass through them parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭squa

Jasyus, the weather is looking pretty rough for Sunday. I'll have to bring a disposable brolly to the starting pens!

Hopefully most people will have the decency to throw on a rear mud guard so those behind don't have to take a face full of road water on the way around :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

squa wrote: »
    Jasyus, the weather is looking pretty rough for Sunday. I'll have to bring a disposable brolly to the starting pens!

Hopefully most people will have the decency to throw on a rear mud guard so those behind don't have to take a face full of road water on the way around :(

As it’s still September I’d expect almost zero compliance with your very reasonable mudguard request.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Great idea. Thanks.

Some advice need:

I'll be driving up on Sunday morning.
    I want to use free on road parking, that will be about half way between the start and the finish. For the past three years, I parked in Mary's Lane, off Church Street. Can I do better than that?

Thanks in advance.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Some advice need:

I'll be driving up on Sunday morning.
    I want to use free on road parking, that will be about half way between the start and the finish. For the past three years, I parked in Mary's Lane, off Church Street. Can I do better than that?

Thanks in advance.
    That's probably about half way but would would you not prefer to park near the finish? It's probably only a 10 minute ride across to Merrion Square.

• Advertisement

That's probably about half way but would would you not prefer to park near the finish? It's probably only a 10 minute ride across to Merrion Square.

Yes, I probably would.
    Can you suggest somewhere. I'm not very familiar with the area, and don't know where I'd get free parking.
    Travelling from Drogheda.
    Thanks again.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Yes, I probably would.
    Can you suggest somewhere. I'm not very familiar with the area, and don't know where I'd get free parking.
    Travelling from Drogheda.
    Thanks again.
    Along the North Circular Road area should be free on Sunday. I'd imagine the Rathdown Road area spaces (beside entrance) will fill up early.

If coming from Drogheda, you can't make a right turn onto North Circular Road from Dorset Street (opposite Big Tree pub) so just go a little further down and take the next right onto Synott Place (opposite Auld Triangle pub) and do a loop around and then turn left onto NCR. When you get to where the road divides at the church, keep left and you'll be in the Grangegorman area so park anywhere along there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a small free carpark in smithfield. I think Tesco in Phibsborough is free on a Sunday. plenty of on street parking that's free too I think on a Sunday.

Tesco on the Navan Road, or the outdoor carpark behind the Navan Road library would likely be grand too. All within 5-10 mins of Grangegorman.

bad weather, numbers down, more sandwiches for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

I assume Waves 1 & 2 are decided on a 1st come 1st served basis i.e. the 1st 1,500 (or whatever) doing the 105km depart at 8am and the remaining 1,500 (assuming 3,000 doing the 105km route) depart at 8:15?

If the latter and you intend to have a social type spin plus you want to avoid hanging around at the start pen for ages in the lashing rain I assume you'd be better off hanging back and joining the Blue pen around 8am for the 8:15 start?

I assume Waves 1 & 2 are decided on a 1st come 1st served basis i.e. the 1st 1,500 (or whatever) doing the 105km depart at 8am and the remaining 1,500 (assuming 3,000 doing the 105km route) depart at 8:15? ...
    I signed when they opened today and was assigned no. 5520. I expected a much lower number. :confused:

All changed, changed utterly.

I am now unable to do this spin, due to postponement of son's flight.
    If anybody is interested in my entries, go to Cycling Adverts in this forum.
    Great bargain. Going free.

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

I signed when they opened today and was assigned no. 5520. I expected a much lower number. :confused:

I got 4,187 around 14:30. I'd signed up a few weeks ago but they only assigned my name to the number on arrival. 4,187 was the next number in a batch the guy I dealt with had. He scanned my ticket (Eventbrite QR code) and then allocated that to the number he gave me.

I think the numbers are relatively random and just allocated in batches to the registration staff. I don't think you get a low number if you registered early and vice versa. It certainly isn't related to the order people collect their bib numbers otherwise you'd have lower number than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

bad weather, numbers down, more sandwiches for me!
    looking slightly better in the latest forecast, should be all over by the first food stop and only light winds picking up to give us a boost on the way back. Looks chilly enough though...
    461866.png

Numbers appear to be totally random, I got 7499 in the post during the week, but signed up about 2 months back!

For anyone trying to minimize their time in the start pens due to weather, I saw something posted on Twitter about the pens closing at 07:50. Can't image that being too stringent though.

As for the weather.....think it might be time for the Gabba and a rain jacket over it for good measure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Do you have to start off in the pens or could you leave a bit earlier so not to be sitting around in the rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

My number is 5446.
    I wont have mudguards on. So best if you stay in front of me to keep dry (and protect me from wind )
    Good man.
    Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

squa wrote:
    Hopefully most people will have the decency to throw on a rear mud guard so those behind don't have to take a face full of road water on the way around

My bike doesnt take mudguards so stay clear of the guy with the hi vis reflective shoes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Edit: Sorry, the one I had wasn't a Strava one.

Mudguards: I spent a few minutes today taping up my new paint job and strapping SKS Raceblades on, so you can follow me, but I expect you to take your turn (and to have mudguards) ;)

With the weather becoming more clear, what's the consensus on shorts or full length bib tights? - I generally get hot in the long ones unless it's below about 5 deg C, but with the wind and rain... any thoughts?

....Hopefully most people will have the decency to throw on a rear mud guard so those behind don't have to take a face full of road water on the way around :(
    I'll have full length mudguards with mudflaps front and rear but it's to keep me dry. I'm not particularly concerned about keeping wheel suckers dry. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dx1200

Type 17 wrote: »
    Edit: Sorry, the one I had wasn't a Strava one.

Mudguards: I spent a few minutes today taping up my new paint job and strapping SKS Raceblades on, so you can follow me, but I expect you to take your turn (and to have mudguards) ;)

With the weather becoming more clear, what's the consensus on shorts or full length bib tights? - I generally get hot in the long ones unless it's below about 5 deg C, but with the wind and rain... any thoughts?

3/4 lenghts ;)

Some harsh comments re. the mud guard suggestion......going to be a tough crowd on Sunday by the sounds of it and plenty of rooster tails spaying off the back wheels!!

Who said the etiquette of group riding was dead?!!

Seriously though, enjoy the spin regardless of the weather.....hopefully the rain will blow through during the night and we can all stay dry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Weather predictions have totally changed - now showing little or no rain and much lighter winds.
    The various Met services were saying that the likelihood of a storm was difficult to predict, but it looks like it has fallen on the better side of things.

Shorts it is, then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Can see the roads still being wet, won't have mudguards on tomorrow so can only apologise in advance.

• Advertisement

py wrote: »
    Can see the roads still being wet, won't have mudguards on tomorrow so can only apologise in advance.
    Roads are bone dry this morning and there's no rain forecast for today or tonight in County Dublin so they'll hardly be wet.

Advertisement