Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2018 - 23rd Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Type 17 wrote: »
    Weather predictions have totally changed - now showing little or no rain and much lighter winds.
    The various Met services were saying that the likelihood of a storm was difficult to predict, but it looks like it has fallen on the better side of things.

Shorts it is, then. :)

It's still forecasted to be on the cold side first thing 6c at 7am. So I think I'll leave the house with leg and arm warmers and can always take them off

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

jamesd wrote: »
    Do you have to start off in the pens or could you leave a bit earlier so not to be sitting around in the rain?

I started from Raheny last year. Nobody cares as long as you don't turn up in a food stop without a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

I started from Raheny last year. Nobody cares as long as you don't turn up in a food stop without a number.

Exactly. And if there is any fuss or messing re start pens, I’ll just start from 500m or so up the road line I did last year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was on some of the route earlier, Ballyboughal - Naul and near garristown. Roads were grand (or as grand/no worse than they generally are). The odd place there's muck on the road. Also met a Cycling Ireland van either doing a recce, or on it's way to Naul.

I was cold enough myself this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Alkers

Eamonnator wrote:
    Yes, I probably would. Can you suggest somewhere. I'm not very familiar with the area, and don't know where I'd get free parking. Travelling from Drogheda. Thanks again.

Try Kirwan St just beside the grangegorman campus, few mins cycle into town then but you'll be right beside the finish line. Free on the weekend

• Advertisement

Just noticed that this goes over Samuel Beckett Bridge. If there's even a hint of rain in the morning, the metal bits of this are treacherous on a bike. I can see it catching people out so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Not doing this myself tmrw but wishing all a safe & pleasant bike ride . Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

Hi everyone,

I'm doing the 65km and I'm assuming I'm wave 3 (number in the 100's) which starts at 8:33,(according to the information booklet) what time should I get to the start pen at?

Wave 2 leaves at 8:15, so I was thinking about 8:25?
    I live close, so don't want to be waiting around all morning.

Thank you in advance, see ye there, and enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Kamu wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm doing the 65km and I'm assuming I'm wave 3 (number in the 100's) which starts at 8:33,(according to the information booklet) what time should I get to the start pen at?

Wave 2 leaves at 8:15, so I was thinking about 8:25?
    I live close, so don't want to be waiting around all morning.

Thank you in advance, see ye there, and enjoy the day!

Waiting around if somewhat inevitable really. The pens fill up on a first-come first-served basis so you would be more than likely down the back in pen 4 and not crossing the start line until maybe 8:50ish.

They're saying the pens close at 7:50. I doubt they will stop you from joining if you are late, I'm sure it's just a traffic management request. Just join the route further up the road if there's any hassle anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Email from the organisers this evening containing this gem:
    There is fresh water available at each food stop. You can fill you water bottle with at the exit of each other.
    Er, thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

brianomc wrote: »
    Waiting around if somewhat inevitable really. The pens fill up on a first-come first-served basis so you would be more than likely down the back in pen 4 and not crossing the start line until maybe 8:50ish.

They're saying the pens close at 7:50. I doubt they will stop you from joining if you are late, I'm sure it's just a traffic management request. Just join the route further up the road if there's any hassle anyway.

Ah, ok. I see how it's being arranged now.
    It's my first kind of Sportive, so I'd like to be in the pens. Guess I'll get there for 7:45 so.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

That was fun, and thank god for lovely weather :) (although a bit cold at first).

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

That was really good. While it was not an arduous challenge, the fact that so many feel the can give it a go is really good.
    i liked the minestrone at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,044 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was threatened with a ticket for obstructing traffic (there was nothing behind me) for not exiting a roundabout and ploughing into passing cyclists in Ballycoolin this morning.. So if a blue/green suv cut you off my sincerest apologies :mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

tk123 wrote: »
    I was threatened with a ticket for obstructing traffic (there was nothing behind me) for not exiting a roundabout and ploughing into passing cyclists in Ballycoolin this morning.. So if a blue/green suv cut you off my sincerest apologies :mad: :(

I actually felt bad for any drivers caught in it. I found parts of Dublin 15 pretty hairy, particularly after Lucan where there were cars and bikes together sharing very little road. I cycle those roads every other day and felt perhaps they’d be better off closed.
    Otherwise a nice day, did the longer route and was surprised (disappointed!) how few groups formed. Just my experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Great day apart from getting a flat at 25k. Weather was great considering there was meant to be a storm. Id put the lack of forming groups down to inexperience but everyone has to start somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,044 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I actually felt bad for any drivers caught in it. I found parts of Dublin 15 pretty hairy, particularly after Lucan where there were cars and bikes together sharing very little road. I cycle those roads every other day and felt perhaps they’d be better off closed.
    Otherwise a nice day, did the longer route and was surprised (disappointed!) how few groups formed. Just my experience though.

I was livid but did what I was told. There was nothing behind me on the roundabout and I was happy to wait a minute for a natural break rather than drive across the 2 lanes of cyclists! :mad: What if I had of caused an accident like?! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Id put the lack of forming groups down to inexperience but everyone has to start somewhere :)

I meant even among the more experienced cyclists but I get your point and agree completely. Just me being lazy and hoping to less work :)

I enjoyed that more than expected. Slow start as I a good bit back in the pen and I'd cooled down having cycled to the start and waited around for 30 mins.

Did it mostly solo, taking the odd respite from some groups, and giving the odd tow to some folk. Got it done in 3 and half hours, which was only 30-40 mins slower than Orla Walsh (professional cyclist I think). Food was grand, though I'd have had sandwiches at the end and cake in the middle but that's just because I've a sweet tooth.

Some some sketchy cycling in Clonee when people tried squeezing by a car that was just holding it line and patiently going alone with it, and then possibly the same folk going around the left side of a car while turning right, yet the car was going straight on.

The bit between Clonsilla and Fort Lucan was a bit sketchy too. They've made those roads 1 way before for smaller events I'm nearly sure, it was at a crawl for about 5 kms.

Also heard someone behind me hit the deck just past anglers rest, but a lot where unclipping, or just climbing off.

Would I do it again? Possibly, but I'd make some others do it with me, and maybe take it a bit slower, but today I was on a bit of a mission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

I really enjoyed the event today, a little chilly this morning but nothing a thermal top could not take care of. However,I was curious with all the rain jackets going on. Was I missing something. Nice and steady all the way around. It was a lovely day for a cycle. It is the sort of event where everyone can have a go nice and flat save one small hill before entering phoenix. Be one for my to do list again next year. Well done to the Marshalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

So I did the GDBR and DIDNT see WA.

We got as far as Clontarf when we realised that two of our crew hadnt had a morning coffee so we pulled into starbucks in Malahide and had a couple od espressos.
    Incident free. Got to Naul and realised the q for food was too big so we headed for Garristown. A few others had the same idea.
    Ticked along nicely until The Anglers when the tyre (clincher ) popped off the rim and made an almighty bang. Never happened before in all the years of me cyclng.
    Already had a couple of hundred kms on the wheel/tyre combo so why suddenly it went then I dont know.
    Got to the end and enjoyed the minestrone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

Weepsie wrote: »
    I enjoyed that more than expected. Slow start as I a good bit back in the pen and I'd cooled down having cycled to the start and waited around for 30 mins.

Did it mostly solo, taking the odd respite from some groups, and giving the odd tow to some folk. Got it done in 3 and half hours, which was only 30-40 mins slower than Orla Walsh (professional cyclist I think). Food was grand, though I'd have had sandwiches at the end and cake in the middle but that's just because I've a sweet tooth.

Some some sketchy cycling in Clonee when people tried squeezing by a car that was just holding it line and patiently going alone with it, and then possibly the same folk going around the left side of a car while turning right, yet the car was going straight on.

The bit between Clonsilla and Fort Lucan was a bit sketchy too. They've made those roads 1 way before for smaller events I'm nearly sure, it was at a crawl for about 5 kms.

Also heard someone behind me hit the deck just past anglers rest, but a lot where unclipping, or just climbing off.

Would I do it again? Possibly, but I'd make some others do it with me, and maybe take it a bit slower, but today I was on a bit of a mission.

Agree with most of this.

Well organised and an interesting route but merging the 65km and 105km groups so far from the finish and squeezing them through the Clonsilla to Westmanstown (Fort Lucan) section was poorly thought through as it resulted in a lot of congestion and a lot of stop start traffic.

I think the congestion was a major contributing factor as to why more groups didn't form, it was just too hard to negotiate traffic!!

Would I do it again next year? Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

koutoubia wrote: »
    Ticked along nicely until The Anglers when the tyre (clincher ) popped off the rim and made an almighty bang. Never happened before in all the years of me cyclng.

Think I heard that tire going bang. About 12.15.
    We stopped into the Anglers for a pint when they opened at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

The new route I thought was an improvement, the Strawberry Beds -> Phoenix Park at the end was a lot more pleasant than the business park wasteland of previous years.

I think the congestion could also have had to do with the increased numbers (7k this year, 6k last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

Effects wrote: »

Respect to you Mr/Mrs Effects!!

You had a pint then hopped back on and finished to DIT starting with the remainder of that hill up to the park? I think if I'd had a pint there's no way the cooled down joints and chilled out brain would have allowed me to start off with that stingy climb :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

They heard the bang back in merrion square!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Did the 65k to accompany the other half. Found it too congested, plenty of accidents early on, route was forgettable. Positives were St Margarets foodstop, quick service, decent sandwiches, etc. No coffee/tea at the finish was a letdown, the pasta/baked beans was okay. Not likely to do it again - was dreaming of the Ring Of Beara from early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Genghis

Agree with most of this.

Well organised and an interesting route but merging the 65km and 105km groups so far from the finish and squeezing them through the Clonsilla to Westmanstown (Fort Lucan) section was poorly thought through as it resulted in a lot of congestion and a lot of stop start traffic.

Couldn't have said it better. Was ropey alright from the merger to the end, which must have been 25k. I think everyone kept an even pace, it was like a neutral zone.

It might also work better if 65k go off earlier than 105k, certainly as I passed the merger at apx 12:00 it felt like both distances were in peak flow.

Judging by numbers in the Naul, and at the end I also think the number of participants is well up.

But I enjoyed the day, slower than any other year but that's okay with me, safe, dry and generally very well organised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Genghis

I roared fair play to ye as I passed. Great idea ;)

Advertisement