Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Nest IQ Outdoor Cam Initial Setup Problem

Options
  • 18-05-2018 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

I just bought a Nest IQ Outdoor camera and it arrived today but I can't get it to connect to app (IOS 11.3x). I get error NC029 and followed the 'Your camera experienced a connection problem' section relating to this code from here with no joy. I tried a second IOS 11.3x phone and an Android one (I'm not sure what version); I also reset the cam to defaults, re-booted my router, my phone and re-installed the app.
    The setup process uses Nest Protect to configure the connection and that works fine but the camera just won't connect. I ended up spending about 90 minutes on a live chat with support and they're suggesting a replacement but I just wanted to check if anyone has had this problem and has a fix/suggestion before I proceed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Shred

A replacement camera was dispatched via UPS express this afternoon, close this off if you like mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

Shred, just to let you know that I received my Nest IQ Outdoor Camera this evening and I am getting the exact same error message :). Very frustrating. I guess you are saying that I'll have to get a replacement

quiggs1000 wrote: »
    Shred, just to let you know that I received my Nest IQ Outdoor Camera this evening and I am getting the exact same error message :). Very frustrating. I guess you are saying that I'll have to get a replacement

Try the troubleshooting I mentioned in my post, if it doesn't work you might be in the same boat unfortunately. Personally I prefer to use live chat for troubleshooting with support - https://nest.com/ie/support/contact-us/

In the meantime the replacement arrived this evening only it was the INDOOR iq cam...another replacement has been arranged!

Yes, tried all the troubleshooting. Currently on hold for a "senior agent" after the first line of defence couldn't help. I'm not expecting them to be able to fix it.

Nest are really making a balls of this now - the replacement (for the replacement) has been dispatched but on 3-5 business days delivery rather than 1-2 as agreed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Not good :( This probably doesn’t make you feel any better, but my camera magically started working this evening.

There was an iOS update to the nest app overnight, perhaps that helped. I’ll have to send back the replacement when it comes in the morning. I really should ask them to send it your way :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Just checked out them there online, look nice alright but fairly pricey.

Are they worth the 380 euro each?

Not good :( This probably doesn’t make you feel any better, but my camera magically started working this evening.

There was an iOS update to the nest app overnight, perhaps that helped. I’ll have to send back the replacement when it comes in the morning. I really should ask them to send it your way :).

Cheers for that, I may as well give it another go tonight while I'm waiting!

I'm impressed with the Camera so far, the quality is far far better than what I was using outside (an Arlo camera). All it's detections so far have been real, and it can differentiate between people, motion and sound. It's quite advanced. It also has person detection so that it can name the people it sees. Yes, it's expensive, but I'd hope that it's something I'll use for many years to come and not have to replace.

Yeah they are expensive but they ticked a lot of the (well, important) boxes in what I was looking for (it's just a pity they only use Wifi). I had been considering Arlo Pro 2, Logitech Circle 2 and Blink XT; but for various reasons (magnetised mounts, reported poor battery, video quality in low light and so on) I chose the Outdoor IQ.
    Like everything else, it depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to spend.

• Advertisement

Yep, the camera's now connecting to the app alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Shred wrote: »
    Yeah they are expensive but they ticked a lot of the (well, important) boxes in what I was looking for (it's just a pity they only use Wifi). I had been considering Arlo Pro 2, Logitech Circle 2 and Blink XT; but for various reasons (magnetised mounts, reported poor battery, video quality in low light and so on) I chose the Outdoor IQ.
    Like everything else, it depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to spend.

Just wondering if you compared it to traditional PoE CCTV with NVR.......? I,have 1 outdoor nest and haven’t mounted it outside yet due to the massive hole I’d have to drill for the power connector .......I didn’t realise that at the time I bought it and I’m thinking it might be easier to get a professionally installed system that will likely have better night vision, but likely no home automation………just wondering if you looked at it too,,,,,,?

As I was looking for something that would work with my existing kit (Hue lights, Nest Protect etc) I didn't really consider a traditional system. Although I'm not a fan of total reliance upon web connectivity for cloud solutions, I do think it makes sense not to have video feeds captured to local devices that can be stolen as part of a break in also though. Having to drill the hole is a minor inconvenience for me personally, once I get the right bit!

As I was looking for something that would work with my existing kit (Hue lights, Nest Protect etc) I didn't really consider a traditional system. Although I'm not a fan of total reliance upon web connectivity for cloud solutions, I do think it makes sense not to have video feeds captured to local devices that can be stolen as part of a break in also though. Having to drill the hole is a minor inconvenience for me personally, once I get the right bit!

Yea, I like the home automation aspect as well.......I don’t know,about the IQ version, but the regular nest outdoor requires a huge hole, aboud 20mm diameter which isn’t easy to drill through a cavity block wall,without leaving lots of damage.......

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Yea, I like the home automation aspect as well.......I don’t know,about the IQ version, but the regular nest outdoor requires a huge hole, aboud 20mm diameter which isn’t easy to drill through a cavity block wall,without leaving lots of damage.......

Yeah you're right about the size of the hole; I used a 14mm bit and outside it's not a problem as the mount covers the hole (just about, plus I've sealed behind the mount with silicon too); inside I'll need to do a minor patch job but it's more or less out of sight so it's not that bad.

Yeah you're right about the size of the hole; I used a 14mm bit and outside it's not a problem as the mount covers the hole (just about, plus I've sealed behind the mount with silicon too); inside I'll need to do a minor patch job but it's more or less out of sight so it's not that bad.

Yeah, that’s a big bit......I was thinking of having the mount inside as anyone could just disconnect it at that point if it’s outside, I don’t think there’s any issue with that right?

Yeah, that’s a big bit......I was thinking of having the mount inside as anyone could just disconnect it at that point if it’s outside, I don’t think there’s any issue with that right?

You need the provided hex key to remove the camera from the mount.

The camera's been working pretty well so far, it gave great piece of mind while away last week and I'm tweaking as I go to optimise the notifications to where I need them. One thing I can't seem to figure out is the familiar face recognition; my understanding was you could build a list of familiar faces over time and choose whether or not to be notified for each one (or none at all). At the moment it's sending me a notification when I enter the driveway which is a bit silly tbh (I'm added to the familiar people list). Ideally I'd like to turn off notifications for each of my family but still be notified when the postman has arrived for instance.

Edit - I got onto Nest support; the camera can't do this currently, it will send person alerts for both familiar and unfamiliar faces. They will pass it along as feedback.

Advertisement