Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeping Willow - Diseased?

Options
  • 18-05-2018 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on the attached photos.

I have a new weeping willow planted for about 4 weeks - it is and has been in wet/moist soil and has been watered and fed. I'm wondering if the "rust" on the leaves in the photos is normal or is the tree diseased? If so, can it be recovered and what would I need to do?

There is some new growth and budding coming on the tree and there are some perfectly clean uninfected leaves also - but most carry the "rust".

42152666032_3c1b11b867_z.jpg

27327717817_1d98f8a577_z.jpg

27327718057_7b3482de4a_z.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice,

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Looks a bit like scale insects. Prune off the worst affected stems and burn them. Insecticides aren't very effective but soapy water often helps shift them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Looks a bit like scale insects. Prune off the worst affected stems and burn them. Insecticides aren't very effective but soapy water often helps shift them.

I actually got in touch with someone about this in Johnstown GC - he believes it is an airborne disease that willows are prone too and recommended treatment with Rose Clear for a few weeks, along with watering well. Looks very much like “black spot”, from my own research.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

IrishZeus wrote: »
    I actually got in touch with someone about this in Johnstown GC - he believes it is an airborne disease that willows are prone too and recommended treatment with Rose Clear for a few weeks, along with watering well. Looks very much like “black spot”, from my own research.

I would be slow to use a fungicide/insecticide mixture like roseclear in case it negatively effected beneficial fungi and insects in the garden. If this disease is airborne like the garden centre sales person says it will just come back on the air again so I can't see it being a long term solution. You already mentioned the tree is developing some healthy new growth which is great after being planted only a few weeks. The disease evident in the pictures looks superficial to me and something the tree should grow out of naturally in my opinion.

macraignil wrote: »
    I would be slow to use a fungicide/insecticide mixture like roseclear in case it negatively effected beneficial fungi and insects in the garden. If this disease is airborne like the garden centre sales person says it will just come back on the air again so I can't see it being a long term solution. You already mentioned the tree is developing some healthy new growth which is great after being planted only a few weeks. The disease evident in the pictures looks superficial to me and something the tree should grow out of naturally in my opinion.

Thanks for that. Is there any remedial action you’d recommend, or should I just allow the tree to “grow out of it”?

On a side note, the remaining trees in the center were also diseased. Really should be taken out of stock to avoid anyone else having this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Is there any remedial action you’d recommend, or should I just allow the tree to “grow out of it”?

On a side note, the remaining trees in the center were also diseased. Really should be taken out of stock to avoid anyone else having this issue.

Just the usual steps to look after a young tree. Make sure it has enough support so it wont get wind damage while the roots get settled (approximately three years from what I have read but this would depend on how exposed the site is). Keep the area immediately around the trunk free of competing vegetation with a light mulch to help retain moisture in the soil if possible. Keep the area about the tree open to allow some airflow about the tree to help reduce the humidity that is required for fungal disease spores to travel. I'd also be inclined to not feed the tree any nitrogen rich fertiliser as rapid leaf growth can lead to plant material that is less resistant to disease.

• Advertisement

macraignil wrote: »
    Just the usual steps to look after a young tree. Make sure it has enough support so it wont get wind damage while the roots get settled (approximately three years from what I have read but this would depend on how exposed the site is). Keep the area immediately around the trunk free of competing vegetation with a light mulch to help retain moisture in the soil if possible. Keep the area about the tree open to allow some airflow about the tree to help reduce the humidity that is required for fungal disease spores to travel. I'd also be inclined to not feed the tree any nitrogen rich fertiliser as rapid leaf growth can lead to plant material that is less resistant to disease.

Great advice - thank you!

Advertisement