Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent eGPU for ultrabook

Options
  • 19-05-2018 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a little while and I think this is the best value I can find.
    I'll be visiting US in a 0% sales tax city so it will work out at around 500eu

Does this seem like a good deal?

I think the box and card price is good value, just not sure what people think of the card. Could get a sonnet for less but not sure what kind of card could reasonably add to it for the same budget.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125990

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

That's a great card, don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd be more concerned with the specs of the ultrabook and if it will bottleneck the GTX1070 as it's a very high-end card suited to high-end machines.

You'd at a minimum want a true mobile quad core i5, ideally an i7 quad. If you have one of the 'U' ULV processors, the bottleneck will be bad (as in, will still work, but the GPU will be running at low utilization).

The Sonnet one with the RX560 is $100 less but the graphics card is literally 200% slower than the GTX1070.

That Aorus one is incredibly good value, the card alone in EU would sell for €450+.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I'd be more concerned with the specs of the ultrabook and if it will bottleneck the GTX1070 as it's a very high-end card suited to high-end machines.

You'd at a minimum want a true mobile quad core i5, ideally an i7 quad. If you have one of the 'U' ULV processors, the bottleneck will be bad (as in, will still work, but the GPU will be running at low utilization).

The Sonnet one with the RX560 is $100 less but the graphics card is literally 200% slower than the GTX1070.

That Aorus one is incredibly good value, the card alone in EU would sell for €450+.

I didn't realize that, it's a new xps 9370 with the highest spec available, so I thought it would keep up.

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
    13.3'' 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
    16GB LPDDR3 2133MHz
    512GB PCIe Solid State Drive

Is it worth combining this card with this spec?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, that's perfectly fine. Exactly the sort of laptop that Aorus box is designed for. The GTX1070 is a very high-end card, and to be honest you'll need it with a 4K display on that laptop! Most games should run at 4K high settings/60fps.

The Sonnet box in comparison with the RX560 for just $100 less would be a 4K low settings/30fps card.

Also your 'U' CPU is fine as it's a 2018 8th generation version which is a true quad core. All previous versions of the 'U' CPU's were only dual core with lower clockspeeds.

Advertisement