Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sickner

Options
  • 19-05-2018 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

went out last night on the hill to take a few kid goats for the table and the sight that i saw was utterly disgusting,..there were goats laid slain everywhere,,the smell and the flies was unreal...i checked with the landowners and theyve no idea who did it ,they heard the shots and thought it was me ,,the rest of the herd have scattered up the mountain and into an area where no shooting is allowed ,,so my sport and pest control is over for the time being,,thought id have a freezer full uo fresh meat for the next few weeks ...what a waste ..in all 10 goats and kids left lying about in the open...the foxes and badgers are doing well out of it though...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Arseholes.....nothing else to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Nothing worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Country is full of wasters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

No respect for nothing or nobody people like that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

transit260 wrote: »
    went out last night on the hill to take a few kid goats for the table and the sight that i saw was utterly disgusting,..there were goats laid slain everywhere,,the smell and the flies was unreal...i checked with the landowners and theyve no idea who did it ,they heard the shots and thought it was me ,,the rest of the herd have scattered up the mountain and into an area where no shooting is allowed ,,so my sport and pest control is over for the time being,,thought id have a freezer full uo fresh meat for the next few weeks ...what a waste ..in all 10 goats and kids left lying about in the open...the foxes and badgers are doing well out of it though...

What part of the country did it happen ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

west Cork
    1342.jpg

1347.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

What a waste:(

Pointless carry on. Some right wallys out there with firearms certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Pissed off farmer or just a dickhead with a gun?

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Pissed off farmer or just a dickhead with a gun?

bit of both possibly,in 6 years ive never encountered anyone else shoot the place..no one was ever given permission to do so,and i took a lot of goats from there,,never wasted any,,the farmer that owns this area isnt on par with the rest of the landowners,hes a man that keeps to himself,,ive made inroads for him to be approached and hopefully i get to do the control after this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Not a fan of goat meat at all but Jesus I wouldn't shoot and leave them though. No matter what I hunt that's edible someone out there will eat it.
    This is quite sick though.

3 years ago i had 25 butchered goats in my deep freeze,,i had mostly for dog food but the kids are unreal to eat..really nice sweet taste to them...its just a terrible waste of good meat...i know they need to be culled to an acceptable level,and at times ,its hard to get out there and do it when your flat out working and its 50 miles each way from home to reach the spot ,but why shoot them and just leave them to rot..i walked on to one last week and there was just a mass of maggots all squirming away,,,it really was not a nice sight

It strikes me as some immature village idiot was out walking with a rifle, came across the goat herd and got trigger happy. I hate people like that, not matter what you shoot, you have a reason for it, vermin control, game shooting, deer stalking, not just getting silly banging everything that moves and leaving them where they fell.

Have you or the farmer reported it to the gardai, probably pointless i know, but it was armed trespass i am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The goats are supposed to be lovely in a curry.its a Jamaican recipe.id love to try it.awful waste what them idiots did shooting them and not using them.at least if they were alive they would keep down the rough grass and that.all they will do now is draw in vermin.all because some idiots thought they were Rambo.

gunny123 wrote: »
    It strikes me as some immature village idiot was out walking with a rifle, came across the goat herd and got trigger happy. I hate people like that, not matter what you shoot, you have a reason for it, vermin control, game shooting, deer stalking, not just getting silly banging everything that moves and leaving them where they fell.

Have you or the farmer reported it to the gardai, probably pointless i know, but it was armed trespass i am sure.

no,because i believe another farmer some distance from where i have permission ,had this shooter in to ''kill as many as you can'' kind of contract,,and if hes pissed off with the mob of goats ,hes entitled to do so on his land but its just a waste ...and a bit of a dampner on my ego thinking i was the only one at them lol

gunny123 wrote: »

no,because i believe another farmer some distance from where i have permission ,had this shooter in to ''kill as many as you can'' kind of contract,,and if hes pissed off with the mob of goats ,hes entitled to do so on his land but its just a waste ...and a bit of a dampner on my ego thinking i was the only one at them lol

But if another farmer got someone to shoot the goats on someones else's farm, eg. the farm you have permission on, thats really not on. He was either on the farm where he had no permission to be with a rifle, or shooting from his farm onto yours, again, really bad form, and illegal i would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

Did I see a thread on here about goat slaughtering at big distances in the last few days? Gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

I lost a large permission 2 years ago when some lads herded goats with dogs and shot them, other goats panicked and ran and damaged walls and fences. when I encountered landowners after that I was asked was it me or people i knew, even though it had nothing to do with me I still lost one of my Permissions as the farmer no longer wanted anyone on his land.
    Allways someone who ruins it for everyone else.

badaj0z wrote:
    Did I see a thread on here about goat slaughtering at big distances in the last few days? Gone now.

I put up a post a few days ago on a different thread about culling goats out to 500 yards. Is that the one you are on about?

• Advertisement

underlying in this matter is the said farmer is happy theres many goats eradicated ,,my farmer friends are not impressed they were left lying on the spot to rot,they are mostly sheep farmers and the attraction to foxes will be another issue,so i dont envisage the gardai ever hearing about the matter,the gunman was most definitely contacted by the farmer i am not known to,he did walk back and follow the mob to the land i shoot ,did his thing and left,,action is afoot at the minute to sort the details out..This time of year silage cutting takes priority to everything else so it could be a week or two before i hear anything at all.im going up Sunday again to see if i can find and shoot a few kids for the table ,,but i think the goats have moved on to different land that i have access to...i might knock on a door or two and introduce myself,see if i can get a walk about new territory

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I put up a post a few days ago on a different thread about culling goats out to 500 yards. Is that the one you are on about?

You can shoot and kill a goat from 500 yards?

That's impressive shooting.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

You can shoot and kill a goat from 500 yards?

That's impressive shooting.

Thanks

Thanks

I was gonna ask was it a Bazooka you were using but a quick google says it's really only effective up to 300 meters.

What do you shoot with?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

I was using a. 270 up to last month but just changed to a 6.5 creedmoor

Fair play, I honestly didn't know a goat could be killed with a 500 yard shot.

That is some serious accuracy.

I don't take the shot unless I have practiced at the distance and am confident of my drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

Yes, but I can not find the post(s) now. Did you remove them?

badaj0z wrote:
    Yes, but I can not find the post(s) now. Did you remove them?

No I didn't. They are on a thread about the 6.5 Creedmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

No I didn't. They are on a thread about the 6.5 Creedmore

So when you shot the 10 goats, what did you do with the carcases?

Sorry, but I have to ask..... my nose is killing me.

Advertisement