Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genesis Equilibrium Disc frameset

Options
  • 19-05-2018 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at doing my first bike build soon and considering basing it around a Genesis Equilibrium Disc frameset.

Anyone know where I can source one of these at a good price? I see a few on UK sites (last year's model or earlier) in the £300-400 price range but either out of stock or not my size (M).

Anyone know either where the best place to get one is, or best time to wait for a price drop? This is something I plan to build over the next 4-5 months so not urgent. I can go to UK in person if saving money, but only to London

Alternatively, any other recommendations on an alu or steel disc frame?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Paul Milne Cycles have a 2016 one for 400 https://www.paulmilnescycles.com/genesis-equilibrium-disc-725-frameset-725-frame--carbon-fork-2016-3405-p.asp

They have an ebay shop where they might be cheaper and stock Genesis frames.

Biketart have a 2017 one for about 420 pound too and I think you can get 5 percent off as a new user. They also send you a discount code if you put something in your basket and don't buy it.

I bought a genesis frame from them this year (still boxed up as I havn't a notion how to build it really). Arrived within 2 weeks, and they answered all of my many queries

https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/road-bikes-c35/genesis-equilibrium-disc-725-frameset-2017-p21150

They did have a 2016 one for 310, but the common sizes M and L sold out in all their 2016 frames when they were discounted again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

2017 equilibrium disc available for £414 in medium
    genesis-equilibrium-disc-725-frameset-2017-p21150-50871_medium.jpg

https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/road-bikes-c35/genesis-equilibrium-disc-725-frameset-2017-p21150

Apologies weepsie beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Great thanks both, prefer the colour of the 2017 one.

Now to find somewhere in the house where the OH won't notice that a bike is being built for the next few months.

Great thanks both, prefer the colour of the 2017 one.

Now to find somewhere in the house where the OH won't notice that a bike is being built for the next few months.

My new frame is in my parents attic at present :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wow, if you want to buy an equilibrium frameset from one of the main dealers in ireland, there's a €400 premium for the disc version.
    which makes sense, there's a STG£350 difference on the genesis site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

wow, if you want to buy an equilibrium frameset from one of the main dealers in ireland, there's a €400 premium for the disc version.
    which makes sense, there's a STG£350 difference on the genesis site.

No bike bargains in Irish bricks and mortar shops, especially Genesis

While I'm waiting for them to send me the discount code for the bike waiting in my basket, would anyone recommend anything else in that price range?

It is for an adventure / winter type bike that may eventually be used for a 10km each way commute

For adventure/winter, a croix de fer might be better. Bigger clearance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

While I'm waiting for them to send me the discount code for the bike waiting in my basket, would anyone recommend anything else in that price range?

It is for an adventure / winter type bike that may eventually be used for a 10km each way commute

Planet X London Road?

Actually, it's probably cheaper. Takes up to 42c, discs, loads of mounting points and sportive geometry. I've used it for the Wicklow 200, cycle commutes and the Sunday club runs. I bought from the UK as it's cheaper to import then use the Irish PX franchise.

saccades wrote: »
    Planet X London Road?

Actually, it's probably cheaper. Takes up to 42c, discs, loads of mounting points and sportive geometry. I've used it for the Wicklow 200, cycle commutes and the Sunday club runs. I bought from the UK as it's cheaper to import then use the Irish PX franchise.

It would definitely be cheaper - I just want something a bit more unique, and want to do a build myself to learn how things work.

I'll spend a couple of months doing it and will pick up sale or second hand but new parts so hope to end up with something a bit more higher end overall and lighter than something like that.

The only thing I'll buy in one go is a hydraulic disc full groupset (Shimano 105 or something from SRAM - suggestions welcome)

I just want it to end up cheaper than 1850€ or so - for that price I'd get a new Genesis Equilibrium Disc from Rutland Cycling

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

I went with SRAM Rival22 hydro which I quite like, very clunky (positive?) And light (plasticky) but have gotten pissed off with the gxp BB, lasts no time, is hard to get and costs loads compared to Shimano (which historically I have fitted a BB a year as a jic).

So have just fitted a 105 crank and hollow tech BB, I don't notice any difference cycling but the BBS are everywhere.

saccades wrote: »
    Fair enough.

I went with SRAM Rival22 hydro which I quite like, very clunky (positive?) And light (plasticky) but have gotten pissed off with the gxp BB, lasts no time, is hard to get and costs loads compared to Shimano (which historically I have fitted a BB a year as a jic).

So have just fitted a 105 crank and hollow tech BB, I don't notice any difference cycling but the BBS are everywhere.

Thanks would you go straight for full 105 if you had the choice again? It'll be either 105 or Rival or spend a bit more for Ultegra or SRAM Force

Thanks would you go straight for full 105 if you had the choice again? It'll be either 105 or Rival or spend a bit more for Ultegra or SRAM Force

I'm sick of the bottom bracket on SRAM so it would be Shimano.

Advertisement