Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work and earn more or reduce stress and improve health and wellbeing?

Options
  • 19-05-2018 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Looking for some advice please. I've had the same part-time job the last 4 years but for the last 2-3 years also do some self-employed work for a couple of other businesses to top up my earnings. I don't love any of the work, but it's easy enough and I get on grand with colleagues/bosses etc. The self-employed work generally fits in around the job fine and many weeks I work 4 days per week which I like. However, there are also plenty of weeks where to cover the workload I work significant extra hours in the evening and/or at weekends. For the past year or so I feel all the jobs are doing my head in in different ways and I'm really stressed as I'm also experiencing some personal difficulties. I'm very tempted to ditch some of the workload to reduce stress and put more time and effort into my own personal health and happiness but worried I might regret it as I hope to get a mortgage in the next year or so and it seems continuity of employment/earnings are very important with that. I have savings built up so deposit is sorted and currently have no dependents. Also I'm conscious that there's nearly always some kind of pain in the a** element to work so do I just need to suck it up and get on with it? Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If you can afford not to work, why do it? Apart from that, welcome to the real world kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

If your only working part time, you may actually struggle to get a mortgage. If your self employed they might need to see your books for the past 3 years as well. I would hold tight until you get your house. Then re-evaluate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Is there anything you could do to reduce your stress?
    For example, exercise, eat better, try to sleep better (e.g. reduce caffeine), work "smarter", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Senature

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Is there anything you could do to reduce your stress?
    For example, exercise, eat better, try to sleep better (e.g. reduce caffeine), work "smarter", etc.
    Yes I am always conscious of trying to do all of the above but with varying degrees of success to be honest. Part of the problem is I regularly feel tired, stressed and overwhelmed which can get in the way of developing and maintaining good habits. I know that's no excuse, but tends to be the reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

There are inherent responsibilities and obligations involved in being self employed which make maintaining good habits difficult. In effect, you get paid for the work you generate and you have to organise everything about your business.

Op, that is part and parcel of being your own boss, if you want a better work life balance, then you cut back, but that effects your earnings. Banks want to reduce risk, lending is based on your ability to repay so the benefits of retaining your income level should be obvious.

All of us want to work less, earn more and stay healthy, but few jobs allow for this, the only one I can think of is a politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Could you start bringing in more work to cover the cost of an employee who could reduce your workload overall while still making you money. Your obiviously good at getting in jobs so people seem to trust you and they should do the same for any employee if your standing over them.
    I think your reach a point being self-employed that you can no longer stand at the coal face day in and day out when that happens it's time to take stock and see how you can change from the one being whipped to doing the whipping.
    It's hard to be self-employed you don't have the structure of a normal job and it's lonely at the top with nobody there to share the work or motivate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Senature

Some good food for thought there, thanks all for taking the time to reply.

Advertisement