Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop sound problem

Options
  • 19-05-2018 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Well folks, bought a new laptop and stupidly deleted a program which I thought was just a spammy program. Now I have no sound. All sound is turned up but nothing is playing. So I followed a few guides and said to delete the sound driver and to restart computer and it should reinstall but it's not doing that now. Anyone any ideas how I can redownload a sound driver and get some noise into my machine. Windows 10 laptop. Although it says I don't have the right activation key for Windows 10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Go to manufacturer website their support and download page get your serial number and model number and you should find the latest driver under sound. You may also need to choose windows 10 Install this and restart computer and test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

degsie wrote: »

Thanks lads. I went through all this in above link and didn't seem to work but will try again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Carroller wrote: »
    Thanks lads. I went through all this in above link and didn't seem to work but will try again

Did you have sound originally? You mention activation issues so is it a brand new laptop or second hand?

mordeith wrote: »
    Did you have sound originally? You mention activation issues so is it a brand new laptop or second hand?

Brand new laptop. It says windows 10 is not activated and Amazon want me to return it. I had sound originally. Stopped working when I uninstalled a programme from the desktop that I thought was an add-on that downloaded when I added antivirus. So I'm assuming it was something to do with sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 ichabod

If Amazon wants you to return it, why don't you do so ?

ichabod wrote: »
    If Amazon wants you to return it, why don't you do so ?

I will be, I originally started the thread before they rang me back. Gonna return it and rebuy hopefully all is ok then

I will be, I originally started the thread before they rang me back. Gonna return it and rebuy hopefully all is ok then

Indeed, best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Maybe try a factory restore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Can you provide a link for the laptop you have. Sound chips are made by different manufactures. If we know what sound chip you have you can just go to the manufacture website and download the app that comes with it. It should give you equalizer functions etc that you don't get in Windows natively. For example if it's a Realtek sound chip just to to the realtex website and downlaod the app. This may very well reinstall the driver for you as well. It's always usefull to have the app cause it gives you more control over your sound device. You can always stop it from loading up automatically on startup if it's annoying you seeing it in the system tray.

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Realtek is the most common audio chip found on laptops if don't know which one you have on yours. It seems to me a bit extreme to go to the trouble to send it back when it's just a software issue.

• Advertisement

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linx-12X64-12-5-inch-Detachable-Keyboard-Processor/dp/B06Y2W2NJX/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_pop_d_pd_title

I don't know if the laptop is a piece of dirt either though. I want it to keep videos on for work and general office 365 stuff. Handy option of the tablet too. Starting a refund process so might look at different options if anyone has any recommendations

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linx-12X64-12-5-inch-Detachable-Keyboard-Processor/dp/B06Y2W2NJX/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_pop_d_pd_title

I don't know if the laptop is a piece of dirt either though. I want it to keep videos on for work and general office 365 stuff. Handy option of the tablet too. Starting a refund process so might look at different options if anyone has any recommendations

It look crap to me. I'd return it and spend more money on a decent laptop if you can afford it.

AllForIt wrote: »
    It look crap to me. I'd return it and spend more money on a decent laptop if you can afford it.

I'm looking to spend no more than 250 I think. Only to store small video clips and documents for work. If I can get better for near enough that money I'd be well up for it. The fact it goes to a tablet sucked me in

Why are people advising this OP to try this and that ? Amazon requested him to return the laptop and he is starting a refund process so that is the end of the story ( hopefully ). Keep messing with the machine and you might find that Amazon voids any warranty. The OP has already managed to delete a piece of software about which s/he had no clue as to its function. I would imagine that Amazon are concerned about the registration key issue ( I'm assuming he has informed them about this and, better still, sent them the screen shot.
    The Linx brand is sold by Amazon, Curry's, Argos, the Microsoft Store and, I'm sure, many others. It's cheap and cheerful and you pays for what you gets. If the OP has a limited budget, it might be worthwhile buying a second hand big brand machine. Plenty of bargains out there. Also, do your research on anything you fancy, new or old.
    Anyway, I hope s/he gets sorted with Amazon.

ichabod wrote: »
    The Linx brand is sold by Amazon, Curry's, Argos, the Microsoft Store and, I'm sure, many others. It's cheap and cheerful and you pays for what you gets. If the OP has a limited budget, it might be worthwhile buying a second hand big brand machine. Plenty of bargains out there. Also, do your research on anything you fancy, new or old.
    Anyway, I hope s/he gets sorted with Amazon.

I agree. If all the OP has to spend is 250 one would be better off spending that 250 on a second hand machine cause you won't get anything descent new at that price point. Windows 10 does't work very well on budget machines either. Windows 7 is better for budget machines.

EDIT: I have to say to OP there prolly isn't anything better for the price you paid for it, considering how little you paid it's actually quite good. If you really only want for text files and video you may as well keep it but it's not a powerfull laptop by any means.

Advertisement