Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best way to do this - credit card, no address, different currency

• 19-05-2018 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all

So, apologies for the looooong thread title (and post). Trying to keep it as brief as possible, my situation is like this:

* I'm a consultant working in various European cities (mostly ones using Euro).

* I don't have a permanent address as I move quite often.

* I pay my expenses myself and then get reimbursed by my home office. Can take up to two months for reimbursement.

* My home office pays me in a different currency to Euro.

* I only have a debit card.

* I don't get reimbursed for the exchange rate when paying out from my card.

Anyhow, was thinking that a credit card would be useful, as I could get incentives if I was paying out (approx €3k per month) and paying it back on the card on time.

Questions are - can I get a CC without an address? Is there any way I could pay back without incurring exchange rate charges? Any CC that you could recommend, or some better solution.

Bit of a weird situation, but I can't be the only one! I'm imagining going for a home loan some day, and my bank balance history spikes more than a, um, spiky thing.

Thank you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,104 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you have a bank account that bank should be able to provide one, have you checked with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Try revolut app and debit card. Use your parents address or address you are staying at for a while. It's a currency card and has 0% cost transfer of one currency to another. Use with in app. And link your debit card and has iban also linked to all currencies. Need I'd and photo to verify account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Snowseer

Thanks both

My bank will not provide me with a credit card without proof of a new address. Otherwise, it would be sent to to the address I lived in when opening the account, and I can't get hold of that landlord at all (and mail is not being forwarded. :/)

If push comes to shove, I can maybe get proof of address at my OH's home (get some bill put in my name).

Yah, I was looking at Revolut, and, also, N26. Think these are both debit cards though. Just wondering I could get more back from a CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Snowseer

Mr.S wrote: »
    Without proof of address you aren’t going to get a credit card.

Definitely? Makes sense. Ok. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Mr.S wrote: »
    Without proof of address you aren’t going to get a credit card.

With AIB I've moved across the country twice since opening my account but never proved my new addresses - just updated them online, and was given my first credit card at one of the un-proven addresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Why is your home office not providing you with a company credit card?

Otherwise there are for example Barclays Offshore (Isle of Man) who you could open an account with using your current address (you must have at least one piece of identification for your current lodgement or at least tax office) and they also offer credit cards.

I don't know who your bank is, but you could open an N26 account and try to use their bank account statement as proof of address for your current bank.

Or you must pay taxes somwhere, so your tax assessment could also be used as proof as address.

But the main question is, even if you are a self employed sub contractor, most umbrella companies or home office will have a solution they offer.

Advertisement