Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 Year Old drinking in US ?

Options
  • 19-05-2018 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Well, I'm heading to Chicago for 2 weeks on holiday with a pal after the leaving cert and was wondering how strictly enforced the drinking age is over there ? Will Irish bars serve Irish 18 year olds or small pubs even ? Would it be worth gettin a fake ID ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Well, I'm heading to Chicago for 2 weeks on holiday with a pal after the leaving cert and was wondering how strictly enforced the drinking age is over there ? Will Irish bars serve Irish 18 year olds or small pubs even ? Would it be worth gettin a fake ID ?

All I can say is that I lived in Vermont for a few months a few years back. I was 23 at the time and I got asked for ID every time. It seemed very strictly enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Chicago is ridiculously strict on ID, not a hope in hell you'll be served without some serious fake ID. A colleague of mine in her 30s refused to believe me on this when she went over last year, didn't have any ID other than her passport which she said she wouldn't be carrying around with her. She ended up having to go back to the hotel to get it on her first night there cause she couldn't get a drink anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

They are very strict about carding people over there. Pretty much anyone that looks under 25 will be carded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Chicago is ridiculously strict on ID, not a hope in hell you'll be served without some serious fake ID. A colleague of mine in her 30s refused to believe me on this when she went over last year, didn't have any ID other than her passport which she said she wouldn't be carrying around with her. She ended up having to go back to the hotel to get it on her first night there cause she couldn't get a drink anywhere.

Not sure if this is a "state by state" thing, but Vegas carded each one of us every time we went up to the bar! Same barman and everything. Thought that was a bit too much.

But if it was me, I wouldn't risk it. Even with a fake ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

In the US last year, they wouldn't accept any ID in one bar. Eventually accepted a photo of my passport I had on my phone. Crazy, I know...

Don't get a fake ID. The bouncers can and will take it off you, and give it to the police. They take it very seriously and will go after you for it.

Not worth getting into trouble with the cops for a few nights out. House parties would be safer, so make some older friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SilageIsLove

That's mad altogether. 16 year olds in nightclubs over here. Bit of a joke ya can buy cigarettes at 18 and drive at 16 but can't get a few cans at 18 in America 😂 Different countries, different rules I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 7 the 1nice1

Was in Boston and New York
    I’m 28 and brother in law 20
    And we were asked in 99% of bars we went to for ID and they are strict so he didn’t drink

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

As others have said it's highly unlikely you will get served. My daughter was asked for id repeatedly on two separate trips and she was 23-24 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

But a 5 year old can use a gun......

• Advertisement

I'm 35 with a big beard and they wouldn't sell me two cans in Fred Myars supermarket in Washington state 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I'm 35 with a big beard and they wouldn't sell me two cans in Fred Myars supermarket in Washington state ��

I was in Texas a few years ago, one of my colleagues couldn't buy beer in the supermarket because they wouldn't accept his UK drivers license as ID. He's in his late 50's!!!

But...we never got carded in a single bar or restaurant...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I wouldnt completely right off your chances but first and foremost stay away from Irish bars as they will card you. Get in and talk to the locals as the chances are somebody will know a place where they dont card. There's a bar here that is known not to card as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

khaldrogo wrote: »
    But a 5 year old can use a gun......

5 year old can drink a bottle of whisky as well if an adult leaves it in easy reach :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Also, the only form of ID they will accept is your passport, and not a copy of it. We were there a couple of years ago, a work group so all aged 35+ and still got asked in almost all bars. Drivers licence wasn’t accepted.

I worked Airport security, and I remember two glum 19 year olds coming to my machine after doing the US Border pre-clearance. They had bought 40 quid’s worth of whiskey to bring home to the US, and the Customs guy marched them over to a sink and made them watch as he poured the lot down.

You’re already under suspicion as a youngster of working age heading across without a working visa in the age of Dumbass Dump’s presidency. Don’t draw more attention to yourself by breaking the law over there, ore you’ll never go back.

It’s a dry holiday for you. Unless you head North to Canada. Vancouver & Whistler are awesome. So’s Calgary & Banff.

Just out of curiosity, in the states where they've legalised marijuana...is the age 21 for that as well?

Be most bizarre if you could get legally stoned at 18 but not drunk

EDIT : quick Google, 21 in Colorado and California

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I was refused a beer as a 37 year old at the Chicago White Sox stadium. I didn't have ID with me.... 37 years of age.

It is taken very seriously. Licence can be lost, so they card everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

ratracer wrote:
    Also, the only form of ID they will accept is your passport, and not a copy of it. We were there a couple of years ago, a work group so all aged 35+ and still got asked in almost all bars. Drivers licence wasn’t accepted.

They'll accept the newer card licence, I've used it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Im vermont you can legally have a concealed gun at the age of 16.

Alcohol - not a chance til 21.

America is a very strange country.

You will find plenty of house parties with copious amounts of alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 the 1nice1

wexie wrote: »
    I was in Texas a few years ago, one of my colleagues couldn't buy beer in the supermarket because they wouldn't accept his UK drivers license as ID. He's in his late 50's!!!

:confused:

Ah Jesus that’s bad now

the 1nice1 wrote: »
    Ah Jesus that’s bad now

's okay, I went back in and got it for him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Nice to hear that the scourge of alcohol on our young people is been taken serious by the Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

What i did years ago was get driving license from older brother, worked in majority of places then. One or two places didn't accept driving licenses but generally worked.

Thats your best method I reckon, find a 21/22 year old brother/cousin who looks relatively like you and pay for them to get replacement license unless they are willing to trust you on bringing it back and take a chance on not needing it for a couple of weeks.

You won't get served anywhere in Chicago without ID

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SilageIsLove

If I bought a load of vodka in airport would customs in the US take it off me 100 percent do yee think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

ClanofLams wrote: »
    What i did years ago was get driving license from older brother, worked in majority of places then. One or two places didn't accept driving licenses but generally worked.

Thats your best method I reckon, find a 21/22 year old brother/cousin who looks relatively like you and pay for them to get replacement license unless they are willing to trust you on bringing it back and take a chance on not needing it for a couple of weeks.

You won't get served anywhere in Chicago without ID
    Even better is the passport card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If I bought a load of vodka in airport would customs in the US take it off me 100 percent do yee think ?

You obviously didn't read the thread!

You obviously didn't read the thread!

Specifically this helpful post! :pac:

k . wrote: »
    I found this. I don't know how legal it is

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

this might give you an idea . me and my famiy went into a bar over there a few years ago i was nearly 30 at the time and 6ft 5 (so obviously not a child) and my father around 60 we were both asked for ID .

my father was asked for ID when out with my mother later that night on their own he said it was back in the house he was refused service until he went back and got it . (it was close by)

Advertisement